We thought we knew streaming

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Definitely. 

That is why Linn chose AKM for Katalyst, because it had the FGPA functionality Linn were looking for.

Of most interest to me is the difference between the Klimax Organik Hub and the Home Theatre variant of the new Klimax Organik line. I read that the new Home theatre variant will have analogue and digital inputs, but the Hubs already can do surround processing and my Akurate Hub allows analogue input for a turntable.

There's no FPGA in the AK DAC, the FPGA is pre-DAC and the hardware if from Xilinx.  What we might see from Organik is one FPGA doing everything or the original FPGA doing what it does now (maybe more processing power) and a new FPGA replacing the DAC.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

And if the DAC is realized within the FPGA, that very likely means that at least internally they will use DSD (or not?)

They might ingest it and convert it to PCM?

25 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

There's no FPGA in the AK DAC, the FPGA is pre-DAC and the hardware if from Xilinx.  What we might see from Organik is one FPGA doing everything or the original FPGA doing what it does now (maybe more processing power) and a new FPGA replacing the DAC.

Thanks Sunbeam, not my area of expertise ☺️

I do recall Gilad telling me that they chose AKM because it could be programmed to do what they wanted, but I may have misunderstood what that meant. 

• Like 1

Little brave brand! :notworthy: 
As a proud Linn owner (for so many years) I wish Linn to crush the digital competition again. It’s good for the continued existence of this small inventive company.

So, very exciting news! B|

And hoping for some nice upgrades for existing owners/products...

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

They might ingest it and convert it to PCM?

From my limited understanding it is quite complex to convert a PCM (Pulse code modulation) bit stream via a FPGA to analog while converting a PDM (Pulse density modulation; kind of DSD) bit stream is relatively easy. So any PCM bit stream is converted to PDM before processing within the FPGA. So one could speculate that support of DSD might be kind of a free lunch if that were the approach.

I think this is what e.g. PSAudio are doing.

I thought as much that it would be based on an FPGA DAC. dCS and Chord already use this technology:

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/The-theory-behind-M-Scaler-technology.pdf

Edited by kelly200269
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Could it be that Linn will announce additional products, besides the Klimax Organik products?

Edited by Paulssurround

I was at the dealer yesterday and was given the lowdown. As was published and reported here, new Klimax line up with the three levels, hub, music, AV. AV is most expensive at US$40k. The case will be bigger than current Klimax as the new DAC (developed by Linn) won't fit in the old case. The old Klimax line up will be phased out.

More info should come out today as Linn are meeting with dealers.

Just now, rad1 said:

Upgrades for existing Klimax boxes? 
Trade-in incentives?

No and yes. I forgot to mention that. The new stuff won't fit into the old case, but there will be trade in allowances for current Klimax DSM (Hub) oweners.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

More info should come out today as Linn are meeting with dealers.

I wonder if this is as a result of Stereophile breaking the March 26th embargo?

’troll

• Like 1