Jump to content

We thought we knew streaming


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

I can’t see the current line of Klimax gear being upgradable to the Organik range.

It looks like the current line of Klimax kit may be ‘stuck’ where it is?

@akamatsu posted earlier - “The case will be bigger than current Klimax as the new DAC (developed by Linn) won't fit in the old case. The old Klimax line up will be phased out”

’troll

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Don’t you know, copper is the new gold.  😂

‘Here is an excerpt 

7760345D-16E0-4FA0-B766-DF8D3EBBB8A3.jpeg

The current UK price for a Klimax DSM is £15800, so just shy of $22000, (sorry, couldn’t find a US price list) so, that’s doubling the price. A Klimax hub is £9200, so could imagine that going up to £15000 or so, rather than double the price, as it doesn’t have the DAC included. So, anything under £15k is a “bargain”. Even if Linn gave the full £9200 as a trade  in allowance, that’s still almost £6K (which is a fairly typical Linn upgrade cost) As I can’t see them being that generous, I can imagine a £10-12k charge to upgrade.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/03/2021 at 10:30, akamatsu said:

I've had heard rumour of a line above Klimax. But this was in the context of new amplifiers.

Linn obviously has new people doing design work as is clear from the Selekt and Majik DSMs and the Series 3 speakers.  The Klimax series is the oldest in the electronics line, and even though it is very attractive I think Linn found it too constraining.  The current casework limits the ability to have a full function streamer/preamp - just look at the back of a Klimax DSM vs. the Akurate DSM to see how many connections you give up.  A larger case was likely necessary for additional functionality, especially for an AV unit.  Considering there aren't all that many items in the Klimax line, and half of them are about to get replaced with the new units, would a matching Klimax Solo power amp be unlikely at some point, and eventually crossovers (say when they go to Organik)?

I don't think these will be a line above Klimax but will be the new Klimax.  It is too well known a name for Linn and already does indicate the top level.  So far all we know from the Stereophile writeup is that they will be around $40K.  I would suspect that this would be for the AV unit, and that the Music piece should be significantly less.  So it remains to be seen how much the Music will go up over the current DSM, and also how much functionality they have built into the AV unit.  As an example, if they really want to sell AV systems it better have 5.1 analog outputs and not just Exakt outs for surround.  (Of course it should have Dolby Atmos, DTS X and 11.2 outputs for this level of AV gear but I'm not holding my breath.)  This alone would require the larger case and would also mean multiple Organik DACs so the price difference between it and the Music version could be considerable.  Note that I do not yet have much inside information as the dealer LinnCast is scheduled fro just two days before the public one.  So I am speculating here based on what was in the Stereophile writeup and my feelings on how Linn works.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I don't think these will be a line above Klimax but will be the new Klimax

My understand as of yesterday as well.

6 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

This alone would require the larger case and would also mean multiple Organik DACs so the price difference between it and the Music version could be considerable.

I hope you are right. I would have a hard time coughing up anything close to US$40k.

7 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Note that I do not yet have much inside information as the dealer LinnCast is scheduled fro just two days before the public one. 

So the meeting my dealer is having with Linn today isn't for all dealers. I thought it was. I did hear about the LinnCast though, as it was mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Linn obviously has new people doing design work as is clear from the Selekt and Majik DSMs and the Series 3 speakers.  The Klimax series is the oldest in the electronics line, and even though it is very attractive I think Linn found it too constraining.  The current casework limits the ability to have a full function streamer/preamp - just look at the back of a Klimax DSM vs. the Akurate DSM to see how many connections you give up.  A larger case was likely necessary for additional functionality, especially for an AV unit.  Considering there aren't all that many items in the Klimax line, and half of them are about to get replaced with the new units, would a matching Klimax Solo power amp be unlikely at some point, and eventually crossovers (say when they go to Organik)?

I don't think these will be a line above Klimax but will be the new Klimax.  It is too well known a name for Linn and already does indicate the top level.  So far all we know from the Stereophile writeup is that they will be around $40K.  I would suspect that this would be for the AV unit, and that the Music piece should be significantly less.  So it remains to be seen how much the Music will go up over the current DSM, and also how much functionality they have built into the AV unit.  As an example, if they really want to sell AV systems it better have 5.1 analog outputs and not just Exakt outs for surround.  (Of course it should have Dolby Atmos, DTS X and 11.2 outputs for this level of AV gear but I'm not holding my breath.)  This alone would require the larger case and would also mean multiple Organik DACs so the price difference between it and the Music version could be considerable.  Note that I do not yet have much inside information as the dealer LinnCast is scheduled fro just two days before the public one.  So I am speculating here based on what was in the Stereophile writeup and my feelings on how Linn works.

It will do surround processing for up to 5.1, and a built in preamp to accept both analogue and digital sources on the Music and AV variants

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

new DAC (developed by Linn)

but it‘s very unlikely that Linn developed a new DAC chip. So like Katalyst the Marketing Department did a great job.

Looking forward to hear how the new level will perform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was actually me quoting Akamatsu...

Although I think we can just regard it as shorthand for “new conversion architecture” and not  literal claim.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

but it‘s very unlikely that Linn developed a new DAC chip. So like Katalyst the Marketing Department did a great job.

Looking forward to hear how the new level will perform.

I questioned this. I was told it was all done in-house. I remain skeptical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO both the current range of Klimax and Akurate range of separates/sources will be axed.

In their place will be:

Majik DSM/4 - Non-Exakt/Non-Katalyst, Entry Level Linn.

Selekt - Exakt & Katalyst, plus M/C capable.

 NEW Klimax - Exakt & Organik, plus M/C capable.

This will give Linn a nice new range of ‘Selekt-style’ boxes for sale :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As to upgrades, whoever posted the little part of the article skipped the part of it where it says: 'Later this year, other Linn components will receive the Organik DAC update, including the Klimax network players, Exaktboxes and speakers."  How they will do those upgrades we don't know yet, but it might be possible that the main board will fit in the older casework.

Edited by ThomasOK
Missing word
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

It will do surround processing for up to 5.1, and a built in preamp to accept both analogue and digital sources on the Music and AV variants

I noticed that, but there is no mention of whether or not there are analog preamp outputs for multichannel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, akamatsu said:
1 hour ago, Ben Webster said:

but it‘s very unlikely that Linn developed a new DAC chip. So like Katalyst the Marketing Department did a great job.

Looking forward to hear how the new level will perform.

I questioned this. I was told it was all done in-house. I remain skeptical.

From what I've seen the claim is that the Organik DAC technology was indeed all developed in-house.

I really don't think that Linn is ready to axe the Akurate range.  It still remains popular and more flexible than Selekt despite the latter's modularity.  But I wouldn't be surprised at a refreshed look when they bring Organik down to that level (if they do).

Edited by ThomasOK
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

As to upgrades, whoever posted the little part of the article skipped the part of it where it says: 'Later this year, other Linn will receive the Organik DAC update, including the Klimax network players, Exaktboxes and speakers."  How they will do those upgrades we don't know yet, but it might be possible that the main board will fit in the older casework.

The Stereophile press release states "Later this year, other Linn components will receive the Organik DAC update, including Klimax network players, Exaktboxes, and speakers."

I hope that this means that as an existing Klimax DSM owner I will have the option to upgrade but the above could also mean that new products in the range will be offered with the Organik update.

I hope it is the former rather than the latter. We will no doubt find out on the 26th

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@peter@57m I hope so too but perhaps space is an issue for Linn now with klimax the KDSM is pretty full with the surround module and hdmi board. As the article in Stereophile mentioned the new KDSM will have a new ADC board and separate power supply to feed it, so I can see the new case work being higher/ larger to accommodate all this. So it may be trade in only.
 

PS thinking about it  I can not really see the point of the knob on the top  as I just use the remote and the dsm is on one of the lower shelves, with LP12 at the top.  The only thing I touch on the KDSM is the on off switch so seems pretty pointless to me unless you start to put a big screen on to then scroll through menus. 

Edited by Coalboy68
Grammar
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few of us are old enough to remember this 👆🏻. Back in '87 Linn developed the Rekursiv https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rekursiv. If I remember correctly at around 88 in Glasgow I was shown the largest (as in most pins) chip ever produced, so huge it almost brought the company down;D . Of course they are well capable of designing their own chip. They're a pretty remarkable bunch when they put their minds to it.

Edited by Clavius
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...