We thought we knew streaming

53 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

PS thinking about it  I can not really see the point of the knob on the top  as I just use the remote and the dsm is on one of the lower shelves, with LP12 at the top.  The only thing I touch on the KDSM is the on off switch so seems pretty pointless to me unless you start to put a big screen on to then scroll through menus. 

Totally agree.  The knob on a consumer device like Selekt makes some sense but on a $40k piece of kit - no so much.  Perhaps they should have used it on a luxury remote like Devialet.

• Upvote 1

The really important question is, though, will a Radikal in the new casework outperform the classical machined Radikal? If Linn wants to keep their storyline, that the machined Radikal's only purpose is to match the rest of one's Radikal boxes, they inevitably have to deliver it in the new box.

Linn Rekursiv team Photo by Seb Rose (from twitter):

81606568-4D68-43E5-8BE0-756A7FBC03AF.jpeg

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I’ll be really interested to see the styling of this new Klimax SE range. I think my black Klimax EDSM looks drop-dead gorgeous - I’m not sure I’d want to replace it with something less slimline, possibly glossy black, with a bling knob on the top.

Might just have to put a black Klimax Radikal on my shopping list before they’re phased out too...

’troll

I think you're likely to change your mind when you see it 'troll.  When you do, I'll happily give you twice the scrap value on your scruffy ugly old black KEDSM...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ben Webster said:

but it‘s very unlikely that Linn developed a new DAC chip. So like Katalyst the Marketing Department did a great job.

Looking forward to hear how the new level will perform.

Its possible they did what Chord / dCS did and wrote their own logic into a generic FPGA.  That would be a new DAC.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

IMO both the current range of Klimax and Akurate range of separates/sources will be axed.

In their place will be:

Majik DSM/4 - Non-Exakt/Non-Katalyst, Entry Level Linn.

Selekt - Exakt & Katalyst, plus M/C capable.

NEW Klimax - Exakt & Organik, plus M/C capable.

This will give Linn a nice new range of ‘Selekt-style’ boxes for sale :D

No power amps?

🤔

13 minutes ago, Matteo said:

No power amps?

🤔

Nah.

Exakt.

4 hours ago, Clavius said:

A few of us are old enough to remember this 👆🏻. Back in '87 Linn developed the Rekursiv https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rekursiv. If I remember correctly at around 88 in Glasgow I was shown the largest (as in most pins) chip ever produced, so huge it almost brought the company down;D . Of course they are well capable of designing their own chip. They're a pretty remarkable bunch when they put their minds to it.

Great story Clavius, and very Edinburghish 

• Like 1

About the worst kept secret ever which I suspect is engineered by Linn to soften up existing Klimax Katalyst DSM & DS owners in readiness for the announcement  for the further considerable expense they will have to fork out if they want to keep upto there Klimax upto date....

Edited by pidge22
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Great story Clavius, and very Edinburghish 

Adobe had trouble with using its computer language, also called Lingo, in UK because Linn Smart Computing successfully obtained the trademark for Lingo in the UK. Linn would not need to manufacture a chip these days as it could create a virtual chip within a FPGA. It is a logical step if they want to move away from off the shelf DACs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baba Yaga said:

Can‘t help, get the impression that Linn are taking a few pages out of Apple’s book...

Announcement of LinnCast a few weeks before event, life style design (Selekt, Series 3, soon Klimax SE...), reducing dependencies (building own DAC within FPGA rather than purchasing dedicated Audio DAC).

I agree. And perhaps in more ways? Somewhat intersting in the context of the meeting (reported in the old forum?) Linn had some years ago with Apple trying to make them use open source, where Apple had no interest whatsoever commenting something like ”It’s an Apple World, it’s Our party and everyone’s invited”. (On their terms that is.) Now, Apple is in a position to take that stand, the question is if that applies to really small niche companies in the long run?

Exakt, SO etc is (kind of) open but still on Linn terms. 
But profit wise Apple is doing a lot right. Though much thanks to their track record in UI where Linn is lacking to put it gently (and Apple now is taking steps in the wrong direction acc to my experience... at lest that’s my feeling as a user.)

6 hours ago, pidge22 said:

About the worst kept secret ever which I suspect is engineered by Linn to soften up existing Klimax Katalyst DSM & DS owners in readiness for the announcement  for the further considerable expense they will have to fork out if they want to keep upto there Klimax upto date....

Having run klimax level kit since it was launched I accept that it will cost money to keep it up to date.  However, there is a limit to what I would be willing to spend.  I am using a KDSM hub with 530 fronts and 520 years and a Majik LP12 (with Lingo 4) and consider it to be the most enjoyable system I have ever owned.  Later this year the 530s will become my rears and the fronts will be Akubarik Katalyst.  If I can upgrade the Akubariks, then I will consider it.  If that is not possible, then I am most likely to stick with the KDSM and Akubariks and carry on with my plan to upgade my LP12 with Ekos SE/Krystal/Entity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm curious as to what effect the Organik Architecture might have on the performance of the ADC in the KDSM or Urika II...

• Like 1

I find that I’m not at all excited about this announcement. Having reached MY top-desired set of KDSM/3 Katalyst, Solos and bi-wired passive Akubariks, and being not at all into Exakt, I find that I am really enjoying  music these days rather than planning or considering upgrades that I don’t feel I need and can’t afford.

Willem

• Like 8