We thought we knew streaming

I was after a new door-stop for the lounge. Since the announcement of Organik, my crappy KDS/3 has the perfect heft... ;-)

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, kelly200269 said:

I was after a new door-stop for the lounge. Since the announcement of Organik, my crappy KDS/3 has the perfect heft... ;-)

Do you really want to mess up your nice lounge with such an ugly case? 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

I'll fish my KDSM out of the trash, and send it over to you with my four Solos. You can start to re-pave your patio.

Edited by rad1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rad1 said:

I'll fish my KDSM out of the trash, and send it over to you with my four Solos. You can start to re-pave your patio.

With full load this should count as floor heating as well, am I right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Maybe we should start a new thread “what to do with the needless Klimax cases”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Maybe we should start a new thread “what to do with the needless Klimax cases”

Fit Akurate Radikal innards into them?

’troll

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Fit Akurate Radikal innards into them?

Yes, but without the copper shielding which you can re-use for the Klimax SE case.

• Haha 2

Randomly returning to the comments earlier about a rumoured Exakt only DSM (ie no digital nor analogue inputs).

What if the streamer side also streamed video and there was no need for any HDMI inputs, only Urika II?  An HDMI out would still be required for display purposes.

Or what if there will be a matching video streamer with an Exaktlink like Urika II?

So you could have LP, music streaming, video streaming and radio all in one source box (plus lots of Exaktboxes or speakers).

4 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Randomly returning to the comments earlier about a rumoured Exakt only DSM (ie no digital nor analogue inputs).

What if the streamer side also streamed video and there was no need for any HDMI inputs, only Urika II?  An HDMI out would still be required for display purposes.

Or what if there will be a matching video streamer with an Exaktlink like Urika II?

So you could have LP, music streaming, video streaming and radio all in one source box (plus lots of Exaktboxes or speakers).

I suspect the Stereophile blurb just misunderstood the role of a hub in an Exakt system.  My guess is that "Exakt-only" DSM will still have digital and analog inputs -- it just won't have analog outputs (and therefore won't have the new Organik DACs, which instead will be in Exaktboxes or, presumably, Exakt speakers).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

How would I play Sky Sports and Talking Pictures TV through it?

(I use Satellite because it is very much better than the Internet where I live). 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

How would I play Sky Sports and Talking Pictures TV through it?

(I use Satellite because it is very much better than the Internet where I live). 

I don't think it will happen, but it could be a tuner too, using an off the shelf module like the surround module.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paulssurround said:
23 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

Why, oh why, oh WHY is it all about having the ‘latest and greatest’?

The facts are, that the Organik Klimax is going to cost a hell of a lot more than your KDSM, and as @Paulssurround has already stated, the KDSM is an amazing bit of kit.

Just focus on what’s really important - the music, and just enjoy what you have.

There is a good possibility that Linn will continue to produce the current Klimax DSM, as it is more affordable Klimax kit than the Organik variants. There are many people that will want to have the current casework, to match their other Klimax components.

‘Perhaps the new lineup will be Klimax DSM Organik Hub with the new Organik casework, Klimax DSM in the current casework, Klimax Organik Music DSM, and Klimax Organik AV DSM?

‘Linn has invested a lot of money in their CNC machines for producing their  Klimax casework. One can only assume they will continue to use the CNC machines for Klimax casework

First, I think it would depend on what Sound Man means by "having just spent money" on his Klimax DSM.  (I will note that audio customers often have a different sense of time.  "I think I bought this a couple of years ago, is it still under warranty?"  A search in the database shows it purchased 6.5 years ago!  A bit beyond the 3 year warranty.) 

That said I do think anybody would be unhappy if they bought a $23k +, top of the line streamer/preamp only to find it had been superseded in a month or two. However, Linn will normally do something to take care of such customers.  I had a customer who bought a Majik LP12 from me literally 3 weeks before Linn let us know about the Karousel.  This felt even worse as I had been talking to him about upgrading his Rega 3 to an LP12 for a few years and he finally did it.  I contacted our Linn rep, explained the situation and asked what Linn could do for him.  They came back with a Karousel for 50% off or a free Karousel with the purchase of a Lingo 4.  As he was already thinking about a Lingo 4 he snapped up that deal and was very happy with us for going to bat for him and Linn for taking care of him.  So Sound Man, I would suggest you contact your dealer and see what they can get Linn to do for you.  But expect it to take a little while for a firm answer as they are unlikely to come back with anything concrete before the actual announcement.

As to the casewrok, I think it extremely unlikely that all three won't be in the same new casework.  I fully believe the new design will be the future of Klimax casework and will be carried on to other Klimax units in the future, although without the knob in most instances.  I'm sure the new casework will keep the CNC machines at least as busy as the old ones did as i certainly expect the new cases to also be made from solid aluminum billet - it is too big a part of the Klimax mystique.  It just appears they will have a higher level of ornamentation, which will appeal more to some, less to others.  As to the upgrades, it is possible that the circuitry needed for the music unit might fit in the current Klimax DS/DSM case, but I would expect the AV unit to need new casework as well.  We shall see soon.

• Like 5

Look, five months ago I purchased brand new my Klimax DSM plus upgrades for my LP12 and two weeks ago I made an order for a pair of Klimax Solo power amps. Colin at Linn tells me Linn have no plans to end Klimax Solo production, we shall all see very soon . I So how would you feel if Linn  may be delete, or ask you to spend 2k on a Klimax DSM upgrade! I am a little p.....off ! But all these problems remain unseen until the 26/3/21! I only write what I think its not a crime.

• Like 2