We thought we knew streaming

I spent £6.5k upgrading my LP12 in December 2019. Karousel was released a few weeks later.

Karousel should have been ‘free’ to me. Was I p***ed-off, or bitter? NO!! It’s LIFE! ;-)

• Like 2

Stop what exactly?

It’s interesting when the mods delete a post. It sure interrupts the flow of conversation! xD

Kelly, if your flow continues in a similar vein, it will indeed be interrupted.

Gentlemen - wind it in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sound Man said:

Look, five months ago I purchased brand new my Klimax DSM plus upgrades for my LP12 and two weeks ago I made an order for a pair of Klimax Solo power amps. Colin at Linn tells me Linn have no plans to end Klimax Solo production, we shall all see very soon . I So how would you feel if Linn  may be delete, or ask you to spend 2k on a Klimax DSM upgrade! I am a little p.....off ! But all these problems remain unseen until the 26/3/21! I only write what I think its not a crime.

What you have now is fabulous. On 27 March it will still be fabulous.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I am curious why so many pairs of boxers are getting tied into such knots over something no one has seen or heard in person. For those who recently purchased Klimax kits and are feeling hard done-by, ask yourself:  is the sound improvement going to be so much better than the current KDSM? Is the difference worth the price? Is it worth twisted boxers, sleepless nights and a severe case of the galloping greedy gimmies?

I sit here shaking my head in total disbelief, but I am brought back to reality knowing there are poor Americans who are willingly being fleeced by Donald Trump’s fund raising efforts 🐑🐑, so nothing should be a surprise.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Sadly it doesn't affect me as I will never be at that end of the food chain :(

I'd rather Linn spent some of their development dollars on implementing a communication protocol that coped with typical modern home networking. I'm looking forward to posts from people that have just spent more on hifi kit than most people's annual wage and can't use it due to "waiting for room". :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Typically my upgrade cycle is about 7+ years. Last year I upgraded my 350s to Katalyst and Urika 2 plus Karousel for my LP12. So I‘m all set for this decade.
Besides, I‘m not going to have something with a blinking knob in my living room.

I assume upgrades for the existing Klimax gear will be possible as upgrades are one of Linn‘s most important flow of income.
However for Klimax Exakt system owners (or Klimax Hub as it is called now) it will likely cost twice the amount of a DSM upgrade as for Katalyst which besides the money I don‘t consider fair.

What improvements a potential Hub upgrade might bring is to be seen (without a DAC or ADC - at least I don‘t need an ADC with U2).
As my Hub is currently waiting for being shipped to Linn for repair, they might offer an upgrade instead of the repair which may or may not be be a sensible decision.

Anyway, I‘m curious to see what reality brings compared to the marketing hype but I feel no appetite for upgrades for the coming years (repair case notwithstanding).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

they might offer an upgrade instead of the repair

Don’t get your hopes up, BY. I’d be very, very surprised if the upgrades boards have even been designed yet.

’troll

• Upvote 1

An intersting question (to ask Linn) is: even though they (as it sounds) might offer upgrades to the current Klimax boxes; what are their plans for the future of these?

Is this likely to be final round of upgrades before totally phasing out the current Klimax version when the next DAC architecture is revealed? (And as the DAC itself plays a minor role, it is the architecture that brings the biggest improvements.) Phasing them out next time will make all (fully understandable) disappointments about ”we had no chance foreseeing this” invalid.

If so, the price for the upgrade better reflect that severe limitation, as it would be like buying a Renew in a nicer box.
As I recall, there were little made in terms of caring for the then present high-end customers when the LK-boxes were phased out as the box was found too small. 
But back then, the high-end prices were in a totally different ball park altogether. (Even taking inflation into consideration I think. E.g. Ikemi, Kairn, 4xKlout, Keltik vs Hub, Klimax Exakt, Solos, 350P. And likely also for slightly sub high end systems.)

.. and to be really negative (sorry) if Linn will not sell two top-end lines in parallel making the current Klimax box  upgradeable only (prolonging the 5 year warranty as long as these are offered, as seem to be one of the stronger sales arguments in the upgrade package); how many of the generik parts that e.g. are not on upgraded boards are gonna be possible to source in a few years, i.e. when will we face end of service life in order for Linn to be able to keep enough spare parts for those whose units are still under warranty?

Edited by 90sLinn
Moving bracket

I have been enjoying reading this thread and all the speculation regarding the new Klimax Organik cased products.

Linn is clearly sending a message to us that they are committed to serious high end HiFi products, while at the same time has a suite of lifestyle products available for a different demographic.

‘I think after all the dust has settled this may become a big hit for Linn and add to their high end reputation in the audiophile world.

‘I look forward to reading great reviews on these products. 

‘There are a lot of people with the money, looking for the best, that would not blink an eyeball to lay out the cash for these products. 

I look forward to the presentation on March 26th with great anticipation 

Whether Linn intended or not, I think this has been one of their best marketing ploys in a long time.  They have taken a page from Apple marketing 😊

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

‘There are a lot of people with the money, looking for the best, that would not blink an eyeball to lay out the cash for these products. 

I look forward to the presentation on March 26th with great anticipation 

So do I (look forward that is!)  But as a non-Klimax customer it is easy to sit back and relax, as neither one of us is heavily invested in that ”eco-system” and with no clear picture of what the new will bring. 
Surely, those with tonnes of money will just fork out whatever is needed for the new, but the die-hard enthusiasts with limited resources..?

(Regardless, Linn is no longer ”my” company, especially not their higher end lines with its combination of life-style approach and fantasy money that does not apeal to me. 
 A Majik, being within financial common sense, might be something for a lifestyle low box count system in the future, but still not really likely I will buy even that new Linn product anytime soon. Older Linn products offer way too much enjoyment with limited investment involved, especially considering there is little to loose when selling on. Ideal for a hobby in other words  

• Upvote 2