We thought we knew streaming

Hey everyone just to chime in further...

The SDSM is not at all flashy with the possible exception of the volume/function knob on the top. The front is a nice OLED display but is usually off during normal operation. I also like the form factor. It some ways it might be a nod to the LP12 and CD12. I can see how it might not work for everyone and is often advertised on a top shelf but mine is located on a middle shelf which does have a fair amount of headroom.

My signal flow is fairly simple

LP12 -> Urika II -> SDSM Exakt -> Katayst DAC -> McIntosh MC150 -> Dynaudio Special 25s

There are some OLED, 4k BluRay, and Melco music server connections as well. 

The inside appears to have a number of places where upgrades could occur. I would think to go up market you would need to consider shielding to some degree and you might want to consider a more audiophile power supply but I have had no problems with what is there.

I really like the machined KDSM case - very nice and it has a great deal of appeal. I will be interested to see if a new KDSM goes with a modular SDSM approach and just how modular it would be. However, to gain the benefits of this Linn would need to make modules for it and there have really not been any new ones for the SDSM so that is a bit of a bummer.

16 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Just found the following quote from Gilad while demoing the Selekt:

“The Klimax is our top product for pure audio quality, and we don’t intend to change the design, or that of the other products. The Selekt appeals both on sound quality and design, it serves as the gateway to Linn for those who want to meet for a coffee first, before exploring further,” he said.

https://audiofi.net/2018/10/linns-cup-of-coffee-the-game-changing-selekt-dsm/

Well, well... 
Tastes are different but for me this is a no-go.

That's over 2 years old, so probably isn't relevant any more.

On 14/03/2021 at 15:13, Nrwatson said:

It is amazing and frightening how much passion can be generated by individuals who have no idea what they are talking about

You apparently haven't been paying attention to US politics for the last 5 or 6 years!

• Haha 9

There certainly is a lot of speculation about details of which we do not know, and I include myself not knowing even being a dealer.  Especially when we should have those details in a week and a half.  I chalk this up to not having enough to do in COVID times. :minikev:

However, as to the casework look, the current Klimax design is now over 20 years old and a lot of people like new things.  At least as important is that Linn is again dipping their toe into AV surround sound (the lack of Dolby Atmos and anything beyond 5.1 shows that they certainly aren't jumping in at the deep end).  A 5.1 channel setup simply will not fit the current Klimax casework.  Going to a larger case gives them much more flexibility in what they can fit which could be a factor in other Klimax products going forward.  It also allows them to get rid of that overhanging top in the back that the dealers mostly hate.  This is really just a reenactment of the transition from LK cases to Akurate/Majik cases - a new, more modern look and more space for more  complex designs (Akurate Exaktbox-I would be a good example).  Plus it costs Linn a lot to design and make those cut glass knobs for the Selekt DSM, now they have somewhere else to use it by just adding a little metal trim. :D

As I said earlier, I really don't believe at all that Linn will continue to make the old style Klimax units side by side with the new.  There is no sense in two high-end lines and we know that these products to be announced are being called Klimax DSM (no SE or +).  I would be really surprised if all Klimax gear didn't move over to the new style casework, minus the knob in most cases, over the next year or three, exactly as happened with the LK case gear.   Don't forget that the Klimax Solo is where this all started and is the piece that is now over 20 years old.  It would certainly seem like a good time for a refresh and a new, larger case opens up more possibilities.  While I don't expect Linn to talk about other products at the Launch, I am willing to bet that we are about to see the future of Klimax design.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Well I have just made an order for two Klimax Solo Power amps. The official word from Linn last week is that the Klimax Solo amps are not going out of production. Send them an email like I did.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

the current Klimax design is now over 20 years old...

...and is still (one of?) the best looking design on the market.

Sad though it is I agree that most people think new and shiny is better. 

• Like 3

OK I’ll admit it: call it pure self interest, but prospect of ca £50 grand’s worth of Klimax boxes suddenly becoming obsolete stirs up a bit of angst on my part. But this is still just consumer electronics after all, and this day was always bound to come. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Oscar P. said:

It’s time for something new! 

Paint it pink 😜

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I will wait to see the pricing of organik 350 upgrade and review but having just invested in 5.1 don’t see much need to switch to new hub/dsm especially with the select like design,  unless it is supporting DSD exakt and it is not back compatible with my current KDSM, as this is the only issue I have with my current set up that my Sony or oppo Blu-ray needs to process these. 

oh and perhaps an exakt centre speaker at klimax level

3 hours ago, rad1 said:

OK I’ll admit it: call it pure self interest, but prospect of ca £50 grand’s worth of Klimax boxes suddenly becoming obsolete stirs up a bit of angst on my part. But this is still just consumer electronics after all, and this day was always bound to come. 

I’ve just survived ten years of angst over my obsolete Komris. ;)

On the bright side, the 1930s Martin 00-17 in my avatar has made a comeback.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Newton John said:

The 1930s Martin 00-17 in my avatar has made a comeback.

Which brings to mind, whilst in no way in the same class, despite lockdown I've not been playing either of my guitars anywhere near as much as I should have. I must rectify that!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oscar P. said:

I think it’s time to move on. Twenty years is a record, but I get a bit bored when I see a Klimax. 😬 
It’s time for something new! 

I thought we bought Klimax to listen to. I go to art galleries when I want to see something of beauty.😂🤪

5 hours ago, Eldarboy said:

I thought we bought Klimax to listen to. I go to art galleries when I want to see something of beauty.😂🤪

You can find CD12 there ;)

12 hours ago, Eldarboy said:

If I were to pay that much, I would want both...the sound and the looks. 🤪