We thought we knew streaming

2 minutes ago, Linncredible said:

Really hope the new technology will trickle down to Akurate Exaktboxes in a not to distant future...

The danger of that is that Akurate is elevated into the price band previously occupied by pre-Organik Klimax.

’troll

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I think it’s a ploy to price the Klimax range out of forums like this.

’troll

That would be reason enough for me to buy one. :D

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

That would be reason enough for me to buy one. :D

You know, you might just be on to something...

’troll

• Haha 1

Linn’s latest “reveal” clip on Facebook today more clearly shows the glass knob and the chrome pin buttons along the front. Looking more like Selekt DSM every day! 😯

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Linn’s latest “reveal” clip on Facebook today more clearly shows the glass knob and the chrome pin buttons along the front. Looking more like Selekt DSM every day! 😯

That could almost be a Selekt, couldn’t it? 

The more I see, the less I want one...

’troll

• Upvote 1

On 17/03/2021 at 22:54, Newton John said:

I’ve just survived ten years of angst over my obsolete Komris. ;)

You're getting confused with smugness :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

You're getting confused with smugness :D

There was no need for you to be obnoxious, Sunbeamgls

42 minutes ago, Newton John said:

There was no need for you to be obnoxious, Sunbeamgls

It was intended to be fun, hence the big smiley.

Most of us without Komris are very jealous.

• Like 3

Checked out the Facebook link as much as I could as a non Facebook user. The little preview movie does suggest both MDSM and SDSM form factors with the buttons looking like they might be similar. The change in color on what might be the top multi-function / volume knob could also indicate KDSM with the new DAC architecture. 

I would think if this is the direction more elaborate casework would be in order and perhaps higher spec parts, power supply (which could be external like a Radikal is to the LP12), or even additional processing power to take on various tasks. Also more inputs and outputs. For example the SDSM has two Exakt connectors and the the new KDSM could have more out of the box or a way to add them via modular expansion. 

• Like 1

If the new design eliminates the need for lots of wires then I think it is a great move. 
Of course, it would mean no more threads discussing which boutique cable sounded best. 

Years ago I had NVA (Tresham) kit and all the units plugged into the power supply so there was only one mains plug.
If Linn goes that way then it would be good - no more need for mains blocks.

I’m willing to pay 15-20K for a Linn Klimax box. But 40K? I’ve owned Klimax kit for over 10 years, have happily done upgrades, trade-ins and trade-ups. I consider my ongoing hifi budget to be generally on the high side, but if the rumours are true, then I will suddenly be priced out of Linn Klimax going forward. I can’t quite get my brain around this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I hope the £40k was speculation as it is way out of my league. 
Still I’m happy with what I have and it won’t sound any worse just because an expensive new box comes out.
And, of course, some will buy it and nice hardly used Klimax DSMs and Solos will be available cut price. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 6

As the article was in Stereophile, the quoted prices would be US dollars, so I would expect the $40k to be closer to £30k, but it’s still a lot.

’troll

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2