We thought we knew streaming

40 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

As the article was in Stereophile, the quoted prices would be US dollars, so I would expect the $40k to be closer to £30k, but it’s still a lot.

’troll

Double the current price basically, and a huge gap between KDSM and ADSM. It would cut out a significant market segment from the Linn range. I just don’t get it.
We don’t have the full picture yet. 

I anticipate that an upgrade to the DACs in the Akubariks will be offered at some time in the near future. I just wonder if an upgrade to the new Klimax System Hub will be required to take full advantage of it. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could lend some insight as to why this may or may not be the case. Or, I could just wait six days.

As someone who spent £1800 upgrading an ADS/3 I was slightly annoyed when they discontinued the product but decided to bite the bullet on an ADSM to re-open the upgrade door again.

I hope I made a savvy decision and will be able to upgrade to Organik at some point in the future.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I anticipate that an upgrade to the DACs in the Akubariks will be offered at some time in the near future. I just wonder if an upgrade to the new Klimax System Hub will be required to take full advantage of it. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could lend some insight as to why this may or may not be the case. Or, I could just wait six days.

Akubariks will only get the new DAC if it "trickles down" to Akurate level.

That would seem to be unlikely as the new DAC means really clear differentiation between the 3 ranges.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Only really going to help if the new hub has some kind of superduper clock or ADC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Only really going to help if the new hub has some kind of superduper clock or ADC.

I am wondering what the benefits are of going from a DAC to an FPGA architecture, in terms of sound quality?

I don’t know what the changes could provide that would justify the price?

I recognize that the research and development costs have to be recovered by Linn and it has to be profitable, but the price increase is substantial 

I guess the question really is, what are the benefits of going from a third party DAC to a FPGA based DAC.

Independence and full control come to mind.  It is really a bet whether the progress in the audio DAC industry can be best by the Linn in-house expertise in programming FPGAs.
I don‘t think generally one approach is technically better than the other, both approaches are used by renowned companies.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

That's kind of what I figured, something to do with clocking. Perhaps the point is moot at this time. Cross that bridge, etc.

2 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I guess the question really is, what are the benefits of going from a third party DAC to a FPGA based DAC.

Independence and full control come to mind.  It is really a bet whether the progress in the audio DAC industry can be best by the Linn in-house expertise in programming FPGAs.
I don‘t think generally one approach is technically better than the other, both approaches are used by renowned companies.

Linn may have acquired some breakthrough in digital technology to go this route? 

‘The AKM fire may have reinforced the idea of how dependent Linn is on other manufacturers, that could have shut down their production and ability to sell upgrades to Katalyst. I look at the shutdowns the auto manufacturers have been struggling with because of computer chip shortages.

‘I don’t have the technical expertise to know how FPGA can provide better sound quality, but it must have significant advantages for Linn to go all in

I am curious about the no of Klimax systems Linn sell today in relation to the upgrades. I would assume some markets attract some new customers, but in these times of covid lock-downs, how do you attract more than really few new customers to Klimax systems...?

Besides the obvious limitations of the current Klimax case, perhaps Linn feel they need a change away from the ever revolving upgrade cycle incl new 5-year warranty which, though providing a substantial amount of money, still cannot be remotely close to the margins of selling brand new Klimax boxes (containing the very same cards) - and the current Klimax owners must be an ideal segment for selling brand new Klimax systems.

Also, increasing the difference between Akurate/Selekt and Klimax, provide opportunities for changes also in those upgrades with warranties never expiring etc. into Selekt purchases or even Klimax. Surely some here would be tempted to (perhaps not within a near future, but quite possibly later if they cannot get rid of the upgrade bug) to make the move to the new Klimax to get to the next level. 

And who knows, maybe Majik, Selekt and Klimax will be the remaining systems, really making a new purchase necessary when someone wants to improve things.

So, selling new instead of allowing anyone to jump on the train buying rather old units and upgrading to as new, may make a lot of sense, profit wise. Especially since current exakt customers are less likely to move to other brands.

But we will soon know :)

• Like 1

.. and after all, Selekt with Katalyst must be considered quite a good offer for those not willing and able to come up with the money for the seriously expensive future Klimax products. 

Offering the Organik DAC architecture to lower range products make them far too similar, besides looks, to make any sense. Design sells, but the current price difference between Akurate and Klimax is probably too much with both having Katalyst. And I think Linn realize that.

• Upvote 1

.. but the teaser from Linn make it quite possible that there will be something completely different than today. 
However they will incorporate that with the existing integrated speakers etc. not to make it totally silly expensive to upgrade. 

• Like 1

Sighing snarkily...

Wake me when someone has actually heard it. 

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

As the article was in Stereophile, the quoted prices would be US dollars, so I would expect the $40k to be closer to £30k, but it’s still a lot.

’troll

Or 35,000 € ... the price for a new RAV4  here in Italy

😁

• Like 1