We thought we knew streaming

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Very recently, someone who could be in the know advised me to hold off on buying a Klimax system hub. ;)

Interesting whether that could mean that the hub will be replaced altogether or whether it could mean it would need an upgrade. (Though the latter is often handled by very late customers getting the update for the price difference. (This late it could also be handled by normal lead time giving time to rethink.))

Unless buying used of course 🤔

Or it could just mean that you will get more bang buying the most desireable NEW hi-fi product instead. (Not necessarily more desireable than existing ones then..)

• Like 1

I have no idea what is going to be announced, but here is an idea .

‘Could Linn develop a box that allows any brand of streamer to utilize Space Optimisation, including Linn.

This box could do acoustic measurements of the room to better measures how sound reacts to that room and the rooms actual acoustic-physical characteristics. It would also precisely measure the temperature and humidity of the room and feed all that data into the Space Optimisation algorithm in real time.

‘There would be no need to use a tape measure, no need to figure out the building materials, temperature or humidity 

You would end up with a far more precise results, and presumably, much better sound quality.

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Hope its a new KDS as then the second hand market may be more buoyant and I can afford one of the current ones!

You may get your wish, However, if this new product is offered as an upgrade to existing Klimax DS(M)s, then it could have the opposite effect.

Edited by akamatsu

3 hours ago, Eldarboy said:

time limited sales

Is this a sort of "thanks for the money"... you listen to it for a while.... then they're like "give us it back, it's ours".....and make you pay again?

Sounds like renting rather than buying, since no ownership is transferred.

Ok... I've read the thread and the blurb.

Seems to be like live performance streaming.

What us older folk used to call Live Radio.

Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

You tease...

I’ve already hit “Pause” on a Urika 2!

Imagine how disappointed I’ll be if it’s another egg shaped speaker...

’troll

If you are reacting to my reply, don't worry as I don't think DS will surpass vinyl for a long time. However, It may be best to hold off for potential promotions. I know, three weeks is a veritable eternity. :D

1 hour ago, hannson.design said:

They employ a shed load of software engineers and there’s been very little to show for it.

Superb sounding kit that depends on the quality of the software (which was re-written from scratch with v50 about 3 years ago) plus SPACE v1, SPACE v2, Linn Account, Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, Exakt and Exakt.Design. I wouldn't call that "very little".

The CPs are the only disappointment

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hannson.design said:

My guess is that Linn are bringing out a Roon alternative.  They employ a shed load of software engineers and there’s been very little to show for it. They must be working on something, and Linn refused to bow to Roons demands, which doesn’t make financial sense. Unless ......

It’d have to be bloody good though - Roon’s a pretty mature product now, with decent control points across a variety of OSs. Linn aren’t even porting the Linn app over to Android.

Having said that, if they could produce a Roon-beating (or even Roon-matching) piece of software, I’d happily give it a go, despite being a lifetime Roon subscriber.

Mick

1 hour ago, Metatron said:

Ok... I've read the thread and the blurb.

Seems to be like live performance streaming.

What us older folk used to call Live Radio.

Did I miss something?

There will be "flicks" too, I believe.

What about this: a Klimax Exakt 350 replacement with the DS built in?

£50k

14 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

What about this: a Klimax Exakt 350 replacement with the DS built in?

£50k

... so we will plugin LP12 directly to the speakers, and Radikal or Lingo should remain the only black boxes survived?  

• Like 1