We thought we knew streaming

I am very much looking forward to hearing the new Linn Organik products.

If the hype lives up to the presentation we just saw, this is a revolution, not an evolution, and could put Linn well ahead of any competitors.

I am also looking forward to hearing from Linn owners that will buy them, and getting their feedback

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I am still waiting for a pay cheque, but would be happy to receive a new Klimax Organik A/V.   🥳🎉

I am very much looking forward to hearing the new Linn Organik products.
If the hype lives up to the presentation we just saw, this is a revolution, not an evolution, and could put Linn well ahead of any competitors.

Well... I do not overestimate measurements but a minus 20 dB noise floor compared to the current KatKlimax is realllllly remarkable!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I guess that limits it even further. Interested to see what the upgrade price for my 350s would be - just out of curiosity.

Linn is also taking this opportunity to offer an Organik DAC upgrade for its Klimax 350 speakers and Klimax Exaktbox, costing £10,800 and £5400 respectively. New orders of the 350 and Exactbox, priced £57,500 and £15,000, will come with Organik as standard.

Linn Klimax DSM

(Image credit: Linn)

Finally, there's the Klimax System Hub (£15,000), which is for anyone "seeking the highest performance from a complete Linn system". Designed for use in a Linn system with Exakt technology, the System Hub is housed in the same new enclosure as the Klimax DSM. It also uses the company's latest ADC design, and features the same inputs as the Klimax DSM (AV) variant – including the option to upgrade with surround 7.1-channel capability. 

Source: https://www.whathifi.com/news/linns-next-gen-klimax-dsm-flagship-streamer-introduces-organik-dac

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uk030 said:

Well... I do not overestimate measurements but a minus 20 dB noise floor compared to the current KatKlimax is realllllly remarkable!

I doubt, however, that the Katalyst's noise floor is the problem, that makes it sound inferior to the LP12. Which leads to the conclusion, that reducing the noise floor will not help to make the new box sound better than the LP12. It certainly looks less classy - by a megameter!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Linn is also taking this opportunity to offer an Organik DAC upgrade for its Klimax 350 speakers and Klimax Exaktbox, costing £10,800 and £5400 respectively. New orders of the 350 and Exactbox, priced £57,500 and £15,000, will come with Organik as standard.

from Whathifi

:P you have been a second faster

3 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

from Whathifi

Well. let's wait until Kay can demo a Klimax Katalyst Exaktbox vs an Organik Exaktbox to us guys in the North of Germany - and keep Covid in check!

5 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

from Whathifi

Relatively speaking these upgrades are a bargain.  As I said, it's hard to believe a K System Hub wouldnt drive these to a very close second on a full Organik setup.   Maybe the Big box is aimed at the wealthy who simply do not care and the Exakt upgrades are for the Klimax masses.

It's always worth bearing in mind that with the new boxes being so Chavvy it means that the Renew version is guaranteed to look better.

• Like 4

A bit late to the party, but I had a look at the new Klimax, and on looks alone my earlier comment about an Anti-Klimax was not far off the mark. Why the dial? I have had an ADSM for about 5 years and don’t think I have ever touched the front panel buttons once. Getting up off my backside to change something on the HiFi is a thing of the past for me. I can just about remember when I used to have to get up and turn over those black vinyl things way back in the 70’s. God I’m glad those days are over. 
I am not, and never have been, in the market for Klimax gear as I could never justify the cost, relative to the hours I spend listening to HiFi (when this damn pandemic is over I will be outside walking, cycling and fishing). Having said that, if I won the lottery, I would want Klimax gear, but not sure I would want this new product based on the looks. I realise it may sound amazing, and an audition might change me mind (if I was never in the position). What I am now hoping for, is a surge of secondhand KlimaxDSM’s hitting the second hand market as the new model flies off the shelves. So maybe, I might get to hear Klimax sound quality in my system one day at a price I can justify.

As a supporter of Linn products and Scottish business in general, I hope it is a success for the company, but I do think they have priced it a bit too high. Now in my mid sixties, I don’t see me buying any new Linn gear as retirement looms unless they offer an upgrade to Organik for my ADSM at a reasonable price (I won’t hold my breath).

Bill.

• Like 8

Seems quite clear to me that there will be an updated Akurate DSM at some point, as surely the price gap between the new Klimax DSM and the Selekt needs to be bridged. Probably with a chunky price rise £10-12k, say?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Right, even that option fades away given it is a trade-in rather than upgrade as stated above.
I guess that limits it even further. Interested to see what the upgrade price for my 350s would be - just out of curiosity.

$14,400 US if they are already Exakt.