We thought we knew streaming

3 minutes ago, Alan55DN said:

Wondering where the System Hubs are hidden on the updated linn site or the exakt boxes for that matter ?

If you look at klimax system on the linn website you will see data on the new hub

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MickC said:

From an entirely personal point of view, I’m not yet that taken with the looks. I’ve always thought Klimax gear, up until now, looked elegant, which isn’t a word I’d apply to the new device.

However, no doubt it’ll look better in person, and I’ll look forward to hearing one, even if it’s far beyond my financial reach. I hope it sells well even if I can’t have one! 😁

Mick

You have to see the bigger picture. Imagine two big new D-class Klimax mono’s, left en right of this DSM, same case, without the knob. Will look fantastic!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Goon525 said:

Seems quite clear to me that there will be an updated Akurate DSM at some point, as surely the price gap between the new Klimax DSM and the Selekt needs to be bridged. Probably with a chunky price rise £10-12k, say?

Then again, who knows how much an Organik Selekt DSM could sell for?

1 minute ago, Oscar P. said:

You have to see the bigger picture. Imagine two big new D-class Klimax mono’s, left en right of this DSM, same case, without the knob. Will look fantastic!

Sorry to burst your bubble but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Class-D Klimax amp.

• Like 3

Fundamentally when Katalyst was released the price remained the same. When Organik was released the price doubled.

I do think it marks a step change in Linn's attitude to Klimax owners. 

Although is they offer to Organik a Klimax DSM for £4200 then I am very happy to retract all my negativity.

CJ

10 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Class-D Klimax amp.

Me neither, but many speculate about that. I was referring more to the new Klimax appearance...

B|

Sorry, don't seem to be able to edit my post on this new forum. 

One possibly interesting fact is that it costs £6800 to Katalyse EXAKT 350s and £10,800 or Organise Exakt 350s. Could this mean that to Organise a Klimax DSM costs (10800/6800)*4200 = £6600 ?

CJ

I'm contrasting this announcement to last year's announcement of the Karousel. Their seems to be a completely different atmosphere around this one. And Karousel came with a killer promotion.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Marketing: Top!

Design: ok, I still like LK and „old“ Klimax cases, front looks cool, knobs the top is unnecessary because of iPad 

Technical: nothing really new, my former DAC from 2004 had already FPGA. No 10 MHz Clock interface, no OCXO, only HDMI 2.0

Sound: we will here

Price: there are a lot of DACs in the range between € 2.000,- and € 36.000,-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I see these new Organik products and Organik upgrades as a really positive thing for Linn. I do believe it will help Linn achieve the next generation of products as the product line evolves.

Reading through all the reactions to the rollout of the new Klimax Organik DSM, there seems to be two concerns from people that don’t like it.

‘Some people don’t like the price, and/or some don’t like the look, because of the knob on top. 

I do believe that the new look will become quite acceptable after a few weeks, as we get used to it. We have seen the Selekt DSM and Majik DSM with a similar look, for a long time now, but the Klimax looks much more upscale. I really like all the information available on the front screen of the DSM.

‘The bottom line for me is how it sounds, and then I have to make a decision whether to move forward with purchasing it or not, and whether I am willing to stretch the budget.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oscar P. said:

Me neither, but many speculate about that. I was referring more to the new Klimax appearance...

B|

I couldn't say...

Think of the endless debates about which SFP modules sound best, or LC vs SC, single-mode or multi-mode etc!

I can only hope, that Linn thoroughly user tested the new design with people from the target group - which us old farts obviously aren't any more, and for a reason.

For a small company this quantum leap is a big investment, and there is little room for failure.

Unfortunately, Linn has now taken the suspense out of the soon to come 50th anniversary update of the LP12. We had hope for further sensational improvements. But what we'll get is quite likely a record clamp made of glass and metal, with 100 LEDs on top (batteries not included).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Despite my initial reservations over the new DSM's appearance (biased as they'd always be by my love for the original), what I can't get over is that the new model costs nearly TWICE AS MUCH as the old one.  Whatever the merits of the new DAC (and I should add that I can't wait to hear it), I can't see how Linn can possibly justify a DSM that costs as much as a major house extension.  Jeez, we're talking thirty grand here!  How many of us who aren't rock stars or Premiership footballers can afford one?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

I can only hope, that Linn thoroughly user tested the new design with people from the target group - which us old farts obviously aren't any more, and for a reason.

For a small company this quantum leap is a big investment, and there is little room for failure.

Unfortunately, Linn has now taken the suspense out of the soon to come 50th anniversary update of the LP12. We had hope for further sensational improvements. But what we'll get is quite likely a record clamp made of glass and metal, with 100 LEDs on top (batteries not included).

You should find a bookie who will take a bet on that.

• Haha 1