We thought we knew streaming

I just don't like the design of the new Organik! I much prefer my old deleted Klimax DSM? No news from Linn about keeping of old style in production? In the end its about the reproduction of music. Pity with this Organik it has no class.

I guess it is a case of how many people really use the internal DAC in the klimax DSM.  With the rise of exakt most people now I would guess buy klimax hubs and at 15K you are not looking at too big a rise over the original hub. 

I only use the KDSM analogue outs from my sub but have now got a sub box. 

I cannot say I am at all surprised about the prices. Ivor compared Linn systems to pricing/enjoyment of really great cars. 
As there are people buying Porsches, Aston Martins etc they seem determined that they will find those prepared to pay these amounts for a 350 organik exakt system to finally get the noice floor down in the basement. 

1 hour ago, Oscar P. said:

You have to see the bigger picture. Imagine two big new D-class Klimax mono’s, left en right of this DSM, same case, without the knob. Will look fantastic!

I don’t think our flooring could take the weight! 

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I see these new Organik products and Organik upgrades as a really positive thing for Linn. I do believe it will help Linn achieve the next generation of products as the product line evolves.

Reading through all the reactions to the rollout of the new Klimax Organik DSM, there seems to be two concerns from people that don’t like it.

‘Some people don’t like the price, and/or some don’t like the look, because of the knob on top. 

I do believe that the new look will become quite acceptable after a few weeks, as we get used to it. We have seen the Selekt DSM and Majik DSM with a similar look, for a long time now, but the Klimax looks much more upscale. I really like all the information available on the front screen of the DSM.

‘The bottom line for me is how it sounds, and then I have to make a decision whether to move forward with purchasing it or not, and whether I am willing to stretch the budget.

Looks wise, it’s just a matter of getting used to things. I really like the Selekt and the latest MDSM, so I’m sure I’ll get used to the new KDSM as well, and I really hope it takes off for Linn.

The screen’s really nice - guess I just expected something a little sleeker regarding the case. The new board looks very small. 

Mick

• Like 2

Just now, MickC said:

Looks wise, it’s just a matter of getting used to things. I really like the Selekt and the latest MDSM, so I’m sure I’ll get used to the new KDSM as well, and I really hope it takes off for Linn.

The screen’s really nice - guess I just expected something a little sleeker regarding the case. The new board looks very small. 

Mick

…and strangely enough, I don’t mind the control on top at all…

2 hours ago, Oscar P. said:

Yes, I´m afraid this will be the end of the Akurate DS(M)....

Do you mean it's only quite Akurate now? :D

1 minute ago, MickC said:

…and strangely enough, I don’t mind the control on top at all…

Me neither.

Linn better put GOOOOOD use to that nice hardware.

As I understand it, currently the Selekt (so obviously, the Klimax too) does not allow searching through your library or Qobuz.

From the pre-launch hype, I was hoping that Linn did something to improve the still mediocre usability of streaming players. Don't get me wrong, a world class homegrown DAC is something, but it does not solve the usability problems of 21st century media.

On the other hand... Linn is arguably way too small if even giants like apple, amazon, spotify haven't yet figured out a really effortless way to enjoy the wealth of music available these days...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 90sLinn said:

I cannot say I am at all surprised about the prices. Ivor compared Linn systems to pricing/enjoyment of really great cars. 
As there are people buying Porsches, Aston Martins etc they seem determined that they will find those prepared to pay these amounts for a 350 organik exakt system to finally get the noice floor down in the basement. 

Fair enough but, as you mention it, what is all this bilge about "noise floor" anyway?  Granted, I'm an old(ish) man with reducing hearing facility, but I don't register a load of extraneous noise coming from my KDS/3.  How much less "noise" do we need?  And is it worth £30K not to hear it?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

I really like all the information available on the front screen of the DSM

Strangely, as I await my Urika II, I’m debating whether to move my KEDSM from beside my LP12 into the cupboard with my Radikal - there’s really no reason to see or touch the DSM, other than it looks so cool.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CJ1045 said:

Fundamentally when Katalyst was released the price remained the same. When Organik was released the price doubled.

I do think it marks a step change in Linn's attitude to Klimax owners. 

Although is they offer to Organik a Klimax DSM for £4200 then I am very happy to retract all my negativity.

CJ

They won't offer that - the current Klimax DSM won't be upgraded, you'll have to trade it in. While the trade-in terms are pretty generous, the net price from my dealer after trade-in is approximately what the Klimax DSM Katalyst retails for in the states - $23K, it's still too rich for my blood. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Unfortunately, Linn has now taken the suspense out of the soon to come 50th anniversary update of the LP12.

An Urika II Organik at £5k+ perhaps?

’troll

Let's face it guys,

the "Katalyst" was just fancy marketing speech for a nice implementation of an AKM standard design.

Organik is the holy grail of D/A conversion: Purpose-building a DAC in-house. Not buying it, possibly putting it through an in-house "selection" process (like in the days of TDA1541) but really thinking long and hard about the DAC and building one from the ground up, fully discrete.

BTW was it just me or was Gilad a little bit hesitant/uneasy to announce the steep price? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1