We thought we knew streaming

1 hour ago, Sound Man said:

I just don't like the design of the new Organik! I much prefer my old deleted Klimax DSM? No news from Linn about keeping of old style in production? In the end its about the reproduction of music. Pity with this Organik it has no class.

The old style dsm will run along side new version.

Dear Agony Aunt,

So I’ll never get organikally klimaxed as I’m with ASH and exaktbox-I.

But if I won a lottery, should I go for organik upgrade for exaktbox-I or not as I’m still flipping my vinyl on an LP12?

I have heard about new DAC thing but nothing of new ADC which I thought was more important as I’m brainwashed on source first ideology.

How long should I wait?

• Haha 2

Organic because you need to be an organ donor?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fitter Stoke said:

Fair enough but, as you mention it, what is all this bilge about "noise floor" anyway?  Granted, I'm an old(ish) man with reducing hearing facility, but I don't register a load of extraneous noise coming from my KDS/3.  How much less "noise" do we need?  And is it worth £30K not to hear it?

Totally agreee. I would not be tempted  at all at those price points especially if the strongest argument seem to be even further reduced noise floor. (I am still happy with my RDS and the noice floor is no concern. Not to mention my pre-cirkus LP12.) So I was just following the release much like I look at those expensive cars.. 

I suppose as long as it works with my current klimax Exakt dsm , I would consider upgrading my exakt 350 kats to organik if there was a big enough difference in SQ. 

I have a selekt dsm under a table in the downstairs system and I can honestly say that I have never touched neither it nor the knob on top....

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 9designs said:

Just looked at the new web page....     "New Klimax DSM  Ultimate streamer  from £30,000"      FFS I've ordered a brand new GR Yaris for similar...  That is aground up homologation special built car. 

Nothing for me here........madness ...

Nice, I saw one at a local motorsport club do the other day, what a fantastic car and would love to have one, unfortunately they are all sold out here in Australia (not to mention I don't have the cash!).

I'm not as happy about the appearance of GR Yaris, though they look better in the flesh. Hope the same is true of the new KDSM as it looks horrible in the photos.

6 minutes ago, Solanum said:

Nice, I saw one at a local motorsport club do the other day, what a fantastic car and would love to have one, unfortunately they are all sold out here in Australia (not to mention I don't have the cash!).

I'm not as happy about the appearance of GR Yaris, though they look better in the flesh. Hope the same is true of the new KDSM as it looks horrible in the photos.

Yeah cheers due end of May, Circuit Pack in Black. 

A music playing biscuit tin or a homologation rally car for 30K  .....  oh what a tough one... NOT. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

BTW I note it has wifi and bluetooth, something I think Linn said couldn't be included on previous products due to the rf?  Presumably they will say it can be now due to the case/shielding etc. Doubt it is really different to an existing KDSM though.  I suggest this is cave to market demand. Bit of a bugger for people with expensive ethernet cables.... :D  (yeah, I know they can still use them)

I feel with all heavy investment/financing recently and ”total” devotion to their take on digital (apart from the LP12), Linn has now gone all-in for Exakt and all things digital spec, and also re-entered into surround sound. And after each new revolutionary DAC design, DVC, low jitter and noice floor reduction, they need to keep coming up with ”new” technical arguments to explain the merits of the very latest digital revolution to keep existing Klimax (and other) customers investing.

They are too small and likely have a too limited dealer network to sell the volumes needed to make it with the Majik/Selekt range - which are still quite expensive systems though. And naturally, the more they keep investing, the more units and/or higher contribution they need. 
After the recent releases of Selekt, the new Majik and now Klimax DSM, now is, more than ever, the moment of truth for whether Linn will remain an independent company or be bought by a bigger one who can share overhead, sales and distribution costs to be able to compete at a more reasonable price level and possibly limited sales of a really high-end range.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 9designs said:

Yeah cheers due end of May, Circuit Pack in Black. 

A music playing biscuit tin or a homologation rally car for 30K  .....  oh what a tough one... NOT. 

I'm with you there, love hifi, but it doesn't beat melting the semi-slicks on my 86 at the local track!

I'm not a "streamer", nor do I have the kind of spare cash needed to play at this table. However it seems to me that Linn have invested a huge amount of financial and intellectual capital to this high-end streaming market.

I hope it serves them well and is successful for them. But, the question it raises in my mind as a humble (but very satisfied) LP12 owner (and analogue fan) is whether this push to "super-streaming" will have an effect on the continued development and support of their "traditional" platforms.

In short, should I get my LP12 up to Klimax as quickly as I still can?

• Like 3

I'd expect that with the improved ADC technology it won't be too long before you see that in a new Urika/internal Exakt link phono stage. 

I don't think Linn has any intent to abandon further development with the LP12 - far from it in fact.

• Upvote 2

One of my Linn Dealers, HiFi Centre, has a pair of preowned Klimax Katalyst 350’s that they just upgraded to Katalyst recently, for sale in their showroom.

They just announced today that that they are going to upgrade the Katalyst 350’s to Organik. Details on Canuck Audiomart 

‘This may be my best opportunity to hear the Organik DAC.

‘Very exciting indeed. 

• Like 4

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Andyt916 said:

In short, should I get my LP12 up to Klimax as quickly as I still can?

Linn are committed to, and will not abandon the LP12. Expect to see up grades for it coming in the next few years. So no worries there, and you should get your LP12 up to Klimax as quickly as you can. :D

• Upvote 1