We thought we knew streaming

So in my vinyl spinning situation, even if I went out and spent a pile of money on a Klimax system after the 350s go Organik, I still wouldn't get the full potential as my Urika II doesn't have the Organik ADC?

• Upvote 1

It’s only four and a half years since Katalyst was introduced and marketed as the last word in DAC technology.  It would seem that it’s now a (rather expensive) memory - or at least that’s how Linn wants us to consider it at Klimax level.  Well, sorry, but I’m not playing.  I expect several more years of enjoyment from what remains a superb product and, if I’m no longer the owner of the flagship DAC, so be it.  Doubtless Organik will itself be defunct in another five years or so, when Linn’s next generation DSM will cost £50k!

Seriously, how much further can this go? 

• Like 4

Edit feature missing. Perhaps a Urika I plugged into the Klimax DSM allowing the onboard ADC to do the conversion would sound better?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

One of our Linn dealers has 4 customers that have Indicated they are likely to order the new Klimax Organik DSM, so there appears to be a strong interest already. The cost doesn’t seem to be an issue.

‘In addition, the Linn dealer is going to upgrade their Katalyst 350’s to Organik.

I’m convinced Linn will sell a lot Organiks.
Because the price is higher than we used to, it will attract new consumers, who don’t care how much a product cost anyway. 

I’ve heard the Chord a few years ago and it made a positive impression. I liked it more than Naim, but haven’t compared them extensively.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Edit feature missing. Perhaps a Urika I plugged into the Klimax DSM allowing the onboard ADC to do the conversion would sound better?

? Only if it can be made to perform the RIAA bits as accurately and as low noise as the Urika II. 

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oscar P. said:

I’m convinced Linn will sell a lot Organiks.
Because the price is higher than we used to, it will attract new consumers, who don’t care how much a product cost anyway. 

I’ve heard the Chord a few years ago and it made a positive impression. I liked it more than Naim, but haven’t compared them extensively.

I think there are people out there who buy hifi in order to show off to their friends. It has to be expensive to gain bragging rights. At least with the Linn Klimax, they will get the added bonus of good sounding music.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

So in my vinyl spinning situation, even if I went out and spent a pile of money on a Klimax system after the 350s go Organik, I still wouldn't get the full potential as my Urika II doesn't have the Organik ADC?

To paraphrase Homer Simpson “it doesn’t have the Organik DAC, yet” I’ll wager that it will still be a mighty fine sounding combination before then, though.

’troll

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

? Only if it can be made to perform the RIAA bits as accurately and as low noise as the Urika II. 

’troll

Good point. The good news in all of this hype and whatnot is that it doesn't affect my life at all. I plan on keeping what I have until a time in the future when I do a wholesale upgrade to an all Klimax system. Until then, I'm more than happy with what I have, especially the Urika II! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I think there are people out there who buy hifi in order to show off to their friends. It has to be expensive to gain bragging rights. At least with the Linn Klimax, they will get the added bonus of good sounding music.

You maybe right, but I think those that buy to show off, will probably just use Spotify and never get close to the amazing sound it could produce.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Please correct me if i'm wrong but this is just a DSM right? no power amp built in?

So, unless you go for one of those exakt or aktive speakers you'll still need some power amps

How long until they re-box the climax twin and solo, or are they going to bother?

I think we might see the slow death of separate linn power amps having already seen the passive speakers discontinued.

Where then does that leave the separate exakt box? again i can see it being phased out

Maybe it's the pessimist in me and i certainly hope so

7 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

One of our Linn dealers has 4 customers that have Indicated they are likely to order the new Klimax Organik DSM, so there appears to be a strong interest already. The cost doesn’t seem to be an issue.

‘In addition, the Linn dealer is going to upgrade their Katalyst 350’s to Organik.

That’s excellent as we all want Linn to do well with this new product. I’ve enjoyed first class service from them since the late 70s and long may it continue. If folk can afford it then why not? 

i think the Organik DAC or a derivative will find its way into more affordable Linn products as I would think Linn would want to move away from third party DAC chips. The DAC chip Naim uses is obsolete, but they claim it sounds great - even if we accept that’s true, I would shy away from a £50k system built around a component that is no longer in production. 

• Like 3

I haven't read the whole 39 pages of posts here, but am I the only one who wishes Linn would offer this in just the streamer/DAC format, i.e. a DS? I'm quite interested in the Organik, but have no use for an ADC, a preamp and a bling volume control. I think it's unfortunate that Linn has basically dropped out of the market for digital source components. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Antonmb said:

I haven't read the whole 39 pages of posts here, but am I the only one who wishes Linn would offer this in just the streamer/DAC format, i.e. a DS? I'm quite interested in the Organik, but have no use for an ADC, a preamp and a bling volume control. I think it's unfortunate that Linn has basically dropped out of the market for digital source components. 

Same here, I own a Klimax DS Katalyst. Also a turntable, they feed a gorgeous tube preamp.  ...

So no need for a build in preamp, nor ADC. Analogue goes analogue all the way.

I would consider a new DS (priced accordingly) or even better an ORGANIK upgrade for my current DS.

I definetly won't go for anything else.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

That’s excellent as we all want Linn to do well with this new product. I’ve enjoyed first class service from them since the late 70s and long may it continue. If folk can afford it then why not? 

i think the Organik DAC or a derivative will find its way into more affordable Linn products as I would think Linn would want to move away from third party DAC chips. The DAC chip Naim uses is obsolete, but they claim it sounds great - even if we accept that’s true, I would shy away from a £50k system built around a component that is no longer in production. 

A significant portion of Linn’s sales and profit are based on upgrades to the LP-12, and Katalyst upgrades.

I am absolutely convinced that Linn’s Organik DAC will ultimately find its way into Akubariks, Akudoriks, and Akurate Exaktboxes.

I can see Organik DACs introduced into the Selekt DSM’s as well

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Fitter Stoke said:

It’s only four and a half years since Katalyst was introduced and marketed as the last word in DAC technology.  It would seem that it’s now a (rather expensive) memory - or at least that’s how Linn wants us to consider it at Klimax level.  Well, sorry, but I’m not playing.  I expect several more years of enjoyment from what remains a superb product and, if I’m no longer the owner of the flagship DAC, so be it.  Doubtless Organik will itself be defunct in another five years or so, when Linn’s next generation DSM will cost £50k!

Seriously, how much further can this go? 

Good points, and I understand your concerns. 

I bought into Katalyst over the last 4.5 years, and have upgraded my Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox I and Akurate Exaktbox 6 to Katalyst. I have no reservations about the Katalyst upgrades at all, as sound quality has been a stellar improvement with each upgrade.

I also hope to enjoy many more years of my current setup, creating spellbinding music in my home. 

Will I upgrade my Linn kit if Organik becomes available for my current components? I absolutely don’t know. It took me a few years to upgrade my Linn as the Katalyst upgrades became available for specific pieces. I eventually did the Katalyst upgrade, with the final piece put in place in October, with the Akurate Exaktbox I. 

Technology continues to move forward, and there will be future advances beyond Organik. I am on a personal quest to get the very best out of my Linn system that I can, and will not rule out future upgrades, that may get me closer to the music.

‘At the end of the day, we have a superb music system that brings our favourite music into our homes, bringing us great joy.

• Like 3