We thought we knew streaming

I find it interesting that one or two folk here seem to think the only people buying the new KDSM are those with more money than sense, who’d only be buying one so they can lord it over friends, with no real interest in music. 
Why make that assumption? A lot of us here have spent more than the cost of this box on their systems, yet we’re all music lovers. Why not assume those who buy this are the same? Or is it a case of sour grapes? 😁 One chap on the Linn Facebook page was really annoyed about it, going so far as to say “I hope it’s a failure and Linn go bust”, to which Gordon Inch politely replied “thank you”! Me, I’m happy for Linn and hope it’s a great success - I can’t afford one but I have no problem with those who can. 

Mick

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

A significant portion of Linn’s sales and profit are based on upgrades to the LP-12, and Katalyst upgrades.

I am absolutely convinced that Linn’s Organik DAC will ultimately find its way into Akubariks, Akudoriks, and Akurate Exaktboxes.

I can see Organik DACs introduced into the Selekt DSM’s as well

I can't see this happening.  Selekt yes, Akurate as it stands, unlikely - Linn's messaging is suggesting that the end of Akurate is on the way.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

I can't see this happening.  Selekt yes, Akurate as it stands, unlikely - Linn's messaging is suggesting that the end of Akurate is on the way.

I'm sure the sales figures and market research will support Linn's decision but I'd be very sad to see the end of Akurate.

I can't see myself buying any more new Linn products, other than LP12 upgrades, if they remove Akurate from the line-up. 

Happy to snap up 2nd hand Akurate bargains for the next X amount years though.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LinnJim said:

I'm sure the sales figures and market research will support Linn's decision but I'd be very sad to see the end of Akurate.

I can't see myself buying any more new Linn products, other than LP12 upgrades, if they remove Akurate from the line-up. 

Happy to snap up 2nd hand Akurate bargains for the next X amount years though.

It might be the case that the Majik lineup could be improved enough that it reaches current Akurate levels. After all, Katalyst seems to have brought Akurate kit up to the levels of pre-Katalyst Klimax kit. Maybe there will be upgrades at the ‘bottom’?

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

It would make some sort of sense to not upgrade Akurate with Organik, Majik - intro level stuff (not organik), Selekt (Organik in a year or two) and Klimax (Organik). Akurate doesn't fit in anymore.... 

But at the same time - If Linn decides not to keep upgrade options for exaktbox (and exaktbox-i) they would say no to a lot of potential customers, including myself. I upgraded last summer to katalyst in my exaktbox-i, and would/could probably upgrade to Organik in a couple of years...

2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Linn's messaging is suggesting that the end of Akurate is on the way.

I'm going to take extra care then in case a man wearing a Linn shirt and sporting a large sledgehammer comes near my Akurate DSM. I am playing music through it now and much to my astonishment it sounds as good today as it did before folk yearned to go Organik. As my hifi is almost invisible in my lounge, LP12 and Spendors apart, I'm not concerned about the new look - a knob on top is not ideal for me as the LP12 has to go uppermost on my rack. 

Do you forsee a Selekt Organik with built in Amps that will outperform my ADSM + Klimax Twin? Less boxes and wires always appeals.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nestor Turton said:

Do you forsee a Selekt Organik with built in Amps that will outperform my ADSM + Klimax Twin? Less boxes and wires always appeals.

You have their marketing direction in a nutshell. The problem for you is that you probably want to keep the Spendors.  The direction so far looks like amps in speakers, not amps in the Selekt. An Exaktbox-i - included in an all in one Selekt Hub would be tempting for me also (and I suspect many others). Could they build one that would challenge a "Twin"? One would hope so - maybe by adopting the Lingo 4 Power Supply approach?

• Like 1

The most fascinating with the new Klimax DSM will always be its price and not what it can perform. 

They should have called it the Oligark DAC, considering who is going to afford one. First batch of ten, engraved with double-headed eagles, bought by an anynomous in Switzerland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

You may be correct, but I don’t see it making much sense from a marketing point of view.

‘There are no Selekt speakers, separate amps or even a Selekt LP-12.

Assuming the Organik DAC is a lot better than the Katalyst DAC, there is tremendous sales potential available for upgrades for Akubariks, Akudoriks, Akurate DSM’s, and Exaktboxes.

In my home, if Linn had an Organik upgrade option for Akurate level, there is the potential to upgrade the Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox 6 and Akurate Exaktbox I, which is a tidy profit for Linn

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

On the new Full Systems page, the Akurate Systems Hub is still paired with the Akubariks and Akudoriks, whereas the Series 5, which was paired with the Akurate Sytems Hub, is now paired with the Selekt. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dasher said:

You have their marketing direction in a nutshell. The problem for you is that you probably want to keep the Spendors.  The direction so far looks like amps in speakers, not amps in the Selekt. An Exaktbox-i - included in an all in one Selekt Hub would be tempting for me also (and I suspect many others). Could they build one that would challenge a "Twin"? One would hope so - maybe by adopting the Lingo 4 Power Supply approach?

I think Linn is clever enough, not to limit their market reach to those people who go all-in on Linn. In contrast Exaktbox is a door opener to attract people with other amps / speaker preferences, and I don't see this to be abandoned. En large, Linn was never an advocate of walled gardens, so I'm quite optimistik in this respect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

I think Linn is clever enough, not to limit their market reach to those people who go all-in on Linn. In contrast Exaktbox is a door opener to attract people with other amps / speaker preferences, and I don't see this to be abandoned. En large, Linn was never an advocate of walled gardens, so I'm quite optimistik in this respect.

Interesting that you say Exakt is a door opener (and i don't disagree) but they don't seem to be marketing it very much. On the new website you go to 'products' and there is no mention of exakt, you've got to scroll down a bit to find it - i'd have thought it would be in your face next to network players and the others.

• Like 1

Coincidence?

Klimax DSM and Canadian $2.00 coin

Also made of aluminum and worth some coin.   Hmmmmm  🤪

5391B0DB-AF82-4131-B10C-4755D8D88524.jpeg

DB98FAC3-6C98-497C-ABB5-47765EFAF13F.jpeg

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@akamatsu Interesting question on the Urika-II. My thoughts...

1. The Urika-II has the the analog to digital convert equivalent of the Katalyst DAC. In my case, send the Exakt signal to my SDSM and then the Katalyse DAC handles the ADC.
  2. If you use the Urika-II with the new Klimax DSM then the final output is handled by the Organic DAC. This is not a bad thing. Often in pro audio you will find ADC's and DAC's being intermixed. 
  3. The new KDSM looks to have analog phono inputs so the question would be did Linn design and implement a version of Organik as an ADC or use what an existing design. If they did create and Organik ADC then a Urika-I or external phono pre feeding these inputs could produce better results.

Either way it will produce fine results as we start to split hairs at this level of performance. It will be interesting if we see a Urika-III with Organik ADC architecture built into it. If we get a product like this and we see updates offered for existing KDSM, ADSM and SDSM systems, then we could see the benefits of the Organik in the gear we own.

I would also day don't get new car envy. Looking forward to hearing it all at some point but just because this exists should not mean we do not enjoy our existing systems. I am still blow away everyday at how great sounding Katalyst is. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

I suspect that Akurate will be replaced with a box that has a knob on top and Organik inside, and bridge the now considerable price gap between Selekt and Klimax. It would  sell for around $20K.