We thought we knew streaming

1 minute ago, sunbeamgls said:

Demise of Akurate wouldn't necessarily mean the end of an equivalent product range.

Selekt as modular Exaktbox, Exaktbox-i and power amplifiers makes a lot of sense.  One chassis, one look, many solutions.

True. And probably a good fit for *most* speakers out there. But 6 channels is unfortunately not enough for Linn (it can only work with up to 109). Will we see a wide Selekt with up to 10 channels?

• Upvote 1

On 28/03/2021 at 22:29, Bladvoc said:

Please correct me if i'm wrong but this is just a DSM right? no power amp built in?

So, unless you go for one of those exakt or aktive speakers you'll still need some power amps

How long until they re-box the climax twin and solo, or are they going to bother?

I think we might see the slow death of separate linn power amps having already seen the passive speakers discontinued.

Where then does that leave the separate exakt box? again i can see it being phased out

Maybe it's the pessimist in me and i certainly hope so

A modular Selekt Exaktbox?  With Katalyst and Organik module options.

12 hours ago, uk030 said:

But hey, you know what?

The whole Akurate line is still listed in the most recent price list. So....

https://www.hiddensystems.co.uk/price-lists

I think we're discussing something like a 12 to 24 month time line here

56 minutes ago, CJ1045 said:

What I am finding quite odd is that Linn now don't make a passive speaker. This means that for someone buying a new system and it is all Linn then the £30,000 device is completely irrelevant! If they want a pretty box they would buy the £15,000 Klimax system hub, if they were fairly sensible they would buy the £2700 Akurate System Hub. Yes, spend money on Organik in the EXAKT Linn speakers or EXAKTbox with Organik for legacy Linn speakers but there is no current all Linn system in which the £30,000 KDSM can be used. 

CJ

The Majik range is passive, but you're right to say that its probably not relevant to the NGKDSM audience of course.

Linn do very well with the LP12 in non-Linn systems - they'll be hoping to do the same with NGKDSM.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DoomHammer said:

True. And probably a good fit for *most* speakers out there. But 6 channels is unfortunately not enough for Linn (it can only work with up to 109). Will we see a wide Selekt with up to 10 channels?

Why are you saying 6 channels?  I'm suggesting a Selekt style box without a knob, not the SDSM itsself.

Imagine how many class D modules they can fit inside a Selekt sized box.

After about 50 years Linn are still around, so they must have a done a lot of things right. Also change is inevitable, so e.g. a new design language is reasonable.

However, it is simply not my cup of tea. The knob is useless (who walks to the DSM to change volume or source?), the large display is mostly useless as well when the control pont is e.g. on an iPad and the box design is not esthetic in my eyes. 

Anyway, I wish them success as I rely on their future support of my system.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

After about 50 years Linn are still around, so they must have a done a lot of things right. Also change is inevitable, so e.g. a new design language is reasonable.

However, it is simply not my cup of tea. The knob is useless (who walks to the DSM to change volume or source?), the large display is mostly useless as well when the control pont is e.g. on an iPad and the box design is not esthetic in my eyes. 

Anyway, I wish them success as I rely on their future support of my system.

Yep, after 6 years of having the interface in the palm of my hand, why do I want to pay loads of money for a bit of jewellery that I'll never touch?  If they wanted to do something like that, why not an optional handset with the knob, like Devialet? 

The old Klimax case with an Organik upgrade is far more interesting.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

after 6 years of having the interface in the palm of my hand

Over 13 years for some of us that bought into the KDS in late 2007.

’troll

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Over 13 years for some of us that bought into the KDS in late 2007.

’troll

BTW: did you notice KDS is now priced the same as KDSM?

The new price list still has 2016 Old style case klimax hub as an option in lieu of the fancy looking new one. My 2013 Klimax Exakt DSM does not do any d/a conversion (or a/d conversion as I have urika 2), and [I think] is the same as current spec for what I need - an interface between turntable, qobuz and local digital files and the Exakt speakers. Retaining the current hub and just upgrading speakers should theoretically work without a significant SQ disadvantage and I assume that the hub can already handle future files with higher bit rates and sampling etc via current hardware.

Linn must have done a lot of market research etc to support the direction that they are going. And the more I look at it the more it makes sense. Products do need to move on and at least the 350 and other Linn speakers are continuing and are being supported via modular upgrades. To move from that speaker into something else is a huge cost of change that I would probably never consider. It looks as if the direction is essentially twofold 1) modular one box can do all (reason for size of box) and the customer chooses own passive speaker / plus customer option of separate amps etc  2) Linn hub (however fancy you choose) and Linn exakt speaker, with upgrade path over time to keep up with latest technology. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoomHammer said:

BTW: did you notice KDS is now priced the same as KDSM?

Can't quite remember when that happened, but it was probably about 18 months ago?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My LP12 into a Linn Uphorik then into my Klimax DSM as never sounded great from day one having been checked out by the dealer. So the Organik with analogue inputs is for me. If the remote fails you can always turn the volume up with the knob, I like it!

15 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I agree 100%.  I’d not be too chuffed if I’d bought a new Klimax DSM and i still couldn’t select a music genre in Qobuz, or it was as quick to drop off/ disconnect from our home network as my Akurate is.  If there’s the slightest glitch in the network every other device, including iPads, phones, Amazon Echo, Google Chromecast etc., all reconnect seamlessly. The Linn doesn’t!  

I am also in agreement that Linn needs to focus on the control point and other software. Buying a Linn is akin to buying a beautifully designed, top-of-the-range car that has a plastic dashboard that falls off every time you go round a corner. 

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, JRS said:

I am also in agreement that Linn needs to focus on the control point and other software. Buying a Linn is akin to buying a beautifully designed, top-of-the-range car that has a plastic dashboard that falls off every time you go round a corner. 

I have rarely had an issue with my Linn control apps.

‘I have used Kinsky, Kazoo and the new Linn App.

I create a playlist, and press play. It works. I’m happy 😊 

The issue for many is often network issues, not the control app.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, macfan said:

@akamatsu Interesting question on the Urika-II. My thoughts...

1. The Urika-II has the the analog to digital convert equivalent of the Katalyst DAC. In my case, send the Exakt signal to my SDSM and then the Katalyse DAC handles the ADC.
  2. If you use the Urika-II with the new Klimax DSM then the final output is handled by the Organic DAC. This is not a bad thing. Often in pro audio you will find ADC's and DAC's being intermixed. 
  3. The new KDSM looks to have analog phono inputs so the question would be did Linn design and implement a version of Organik as an ADC or use what an existing design. If they did create and Organik ADC then a Urika-I or external phono pre feeding these inputs could produce better results.

Either way it will produce fine results as we start to split hairs at this level of performance. It will be interesting if we see a Urika-III with Organik ADC architecture built into it. If we get a product like this and we see updates offered for existing KDSM, ADSM and SDSM systems, then we could see the benefits of the Organik in the gear we own.

I would also day don't get new car envy. Looking forward to hearing it all at some point but just because this exists should not mean we do not enjoy our existing systems. I am still blow away everyday at how great sounding Katalyst is. 

I think your last paragraph captures my sentiment. Let's wait for the dust to settle and see how us LP12 owners can benefit from all this digital technology.