We thought we knew streaming

2 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Can't quite remember when that happened, but it was probably about 18 months ago?

I recall the DSM price dropped from somewhere north of £18k when the KDS production was ceased, but then when they reintroduced the DS both had the same price. And still do, even with the bonus of a (2016) suffix!

• Like 1

Quick survey

Have any of the HiFi Wigwam members ordered any of the new Klimax Organik DSM products, the Organik upgrades for the 350’s or Klimax Exaktboxes?

16 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Have any of the HiFi Wigwam members ordered any of the new Klimax Organik DSM products, the Organik upgrades for the 350’s or Klimax Exaktboxes?

I ordered two KDSM: one silver KDSM for my music room and one black KDSM AV for the bedroom.

oh, just a minute. Oh my god, good luck, it was only a nightmare.

So the answer is “no”. I will listen to the new KDSM but it’s very unlikely that I’ll leave my non-Linn digital road.

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Quick survey

I have a black system hub on order which will replace a 7mth old hub.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Quick survey

As I did not rule out to upgrade from my Akurate Exaktbox6 to a Klimax Exaktbox before March, 26th (though I'd have to hear them side by side, which I only did in the pre-Katalys past), owning an Organik Klimax Exaktbox in the old case is not a far off idea. But again, I need to listen first.

The short answer: no, not yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nope, not yet. Really want to hear it first (I ordered the Katalyst upgrade blind)

’troll

BTW - nice to see the Edit button back.

Edited by Moomintroll
Just because I can!
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I ordered it.........to stay away from my bank account! :D

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Ben Webster said:

I ordered two KDSM: one silver KDSM for my music room and one black KDSM AV for the bedroom.

oh, just a minute. Oh my god, good luck, it was only a nightmare.

So the answer is “no”. I will listen to the new KDSM but it’s very unlikely that I’ll leave my non-Linn digital road.

I have a lottery ticket for the draw tonight.

‘If I win the top prize, I’ll organize a giveaway for a free Klimax Organik DSM to a lucky Linn Club member 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

If I win the top prize, I’ll organize a giveaway for a free Klimax Organik DSM to a lucky Linn Club member 

I‘m a very lucky Linn Club member ...

• Haha 1

Like most waiting to hear it, and what the trade in offers me, but likely just get the 350 upgrade unless trade in is crazy on the new hub vs my KDSM as I prefer the KDSM 2016 design then could upgrade the KDSM later.

I just wonder if the will be able to do the full upgrade to the 2016 I.e. ADC and DAC in the space.

On 28/03/2021 at 11:48, akamatsu said:

So in my vinyl spinning situation, even if I went out and spent a pile of money on a Klimax system after the 350s go Organik, I still wouldn't get the full potential as my Urika II doesn't have the Organik ADC?

Just to clear up some of the confusion on here, there is no Organik ADC.  The Organik is Linn's own DAC implementation with most of the pre-DAC processing done through an FPGA.  There was no mention of an Organik ADC, nor would I expect one as there is much less use of ADCs than there are of DACs.  What has ben said is that the ADC in the new Klimax DSM is improved over that in what is now called the KDSM (2016).  This should be no surprise as the Urika II ADC is improved over the one in the KDSM (2016).  This is done by using 2 ADC chips, one for each channel, instead of a single stereo chip, which should lower noise and distortion.  Although technical information has been thin on the ground about this, I would be surprised if this wasn't an upgrade to basically the same 2 ADC chip design as the Urika II.  I can't really see well enough to read the chips on the photos I have seen, but the analog input stage does appear to be mostly dual mono and there are a couple identical chips inline with the inputs.  So I wouldn't hold my breath for an Organik ADC Urika III.

I also am left wondering how much advantage there is to the new System Hub over the old one for those not using the ADC since they have a Urika II.  I have not gotten a satisfactory answer on this one yet.  There was mention of the superior screening of the new casework but that is mostly between the analog sections (ADC and DAC parts) and the all digital sections.  With the System Hub there is no analog output station, no OrganiK DAC, and if you don't use the ADC it doesn't seem to me there is any additional screening over the Klimax System Hub, which is already well screened.  So I consider that an up in the air upgrade.

Obviously what Linn left out of the presentation left lots of questions as well.  Some of these were answered by Linn in the Q&A on the dealer presentation, others by my rep when I asked him some of these same questions.  So here is some of what I hope will be useful information.  

1) Although the photos of the "New Family" would have you think otherwise, the Akurate range isn't going away anytime soon.  Gilad said the Akurate range would stay around at least another year or two and then they would see.  My rep put it that "We don't discontinue things that are selling".  It really wouldn't make sense to replace a range of crossovers and amps just to get them into new boxes and I don't think Linn is yet close to actual replacement designs.  This is also indicated by Gilad saying that the other Klimax products will remain in the current boxes (ExaktBoxes and amps, with KDS, KDSM (2016) and System Hub still being available in the old style box).  He said that the source component stands on its own and the other parts don't need to look the same.  Certainly there would be no sense in putting the knob on the top of an ExaktBox or power amp.  That's not to say that we might not see other items move to similar boxes sometime down the line, but certainly not all at once.  But this means that a Selekt DSM with Organik DAC, which is on the roadmap for sometime in the next couple of years, could just as easily front Akurate ExaktBoxes and amps as the new KEDSM could do with current style Klimax components downstream.  If you look at the industry in general it is often the case to have control pieces look quite different from amps. etc.

2)  Just as there have been with previous DAC upgrades, these will move down stream, it will just be a while for it to move to various pieces.  New Organik KDSM, Klimax ExaktBoxes and K350As with Organik are all available to order now as are upgrades for existing K350As and KEBs.  If all goes according to plan Organik upgrades will become available in 12 to 18 months for current KDS/M.  Selekt DSMs should follow after that, maybe in 24 months.  Akubariks and Akudoriks should also go that way and have upgrades, as well as AEBs.  So it may end up being Selekt/Akurate range dependent on what you want to do.  This doesn't rule out Linn eventually coming out with stereo or multi-channel Class D amps in Selekt style boxes but no mention has been made of that happening so far.  Note also that most Linn speakers are now only available in Exakt Aktiv.  That combined with few other companies being big on active capable speakers means that the multi-channel amps might see significantly reduced sales over time.  They already have in our store, for example.

I find it interesting that after years of the Majik/Akurate look we seem to be making the move back to roughly 13" square boxes - closer to 14" but still not far from LK boxes except for the fancy grooves and top knots.  Indeed a Selekt DSM might look more at home above a couple of Klouts than a couple of Akurate  2200s.  But there you go.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

All good news as far as I'm concerned. For me, it may be getting the new Klimax Hub first, then upgrading the Akubariks to Organik. It looks like I may not need to get the Klimax 350s. They are so big. The Akubariks are big enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Webster said:

I‘m a very lucky Linn Club member ...

... which makes you non-eligible under the published rules! 😜

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

All good news as far as I'm concerned. For me, it may be getting the new Klimax Hub first, then upgrading the Akubariks to Organik. It looks like I may not need to get the Klimax 350s. They are so big. The Akubariks are big enough.

The Organik Akubarik upgade will almost certainly bring your system to a higher level. But will the new Klimax Hub improve your SQ? You won't use its ADC, anyway, with the Urika II. Does it bring a better master clock for Exakt? Probably. And of course the streaming SQ should improve. If you have a chance to hear one in your system with the LP12, please report back. It will be very interesting to learn, what you think about that combo.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 3