We thought we knew streaming

6 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

If all goes according to plan Organik upgrades will become available in 12 to 18 months for current KDS/M.  Selekt DSMs should follow after that, maybe in 24 months.

Thanks for filling in on the plans for Selekt etc. 
Cannot get my head around the ranges, more specifically difference between future Klimax and Selekt. Also makes me somewhat curious about Linn’s plans for an Organik II architecture (or software?). Would never be revealed but I would guess they should prefer a bigger separation between Akurate/Selekt and Klimax but also that 24+ months is a rather long time for competitors to release new products making a version II for Klimax not unrealistic sometime after Selekt gets a version I.

Linn states this as a major design leap and those may present a new range of ideas for improvements i.e. upgrades compared to more ”mature” designs. First step may be a slight improvement vs Katalyst (it better be an improvement) whereas it may just be a base for ideas that has not been possible to realize due to timme constraints as they need to bring it to the market to start making money. 

Unless this is mainly to reduce dependancy on traditional DAC suppliers.. But it can and will also be used in marketing as Linn Klimax, later Selekt etc will not just be ”another streamer” based on the XXX DAC.

The dedicated engineers that developed Organik would either be engaged in Organik II or perhaps to make differentiated (scaled down) version(s) for Selekt and perhaps even Majik in a final step to maximize the return on investments made in this new DAC tech. 
Can’t really get how they will keep two lines with same main technology, though the fact that much of it is in integrated speakers makes it less likely/possible to differentiate thus keeping Klimax more of an ”exklusive design, better isolation” thing.  Klimax customers must apparently be OK with Selekt/Akurate being substantilally cheaper with close to similar performance?

Mixed boxes still somewhat surprising but yes, today they are much into integrated one-box Exakt active speakers which often leaves it at one box.

10 hours ago, Coalboy68 said:

Like most waiting to hear it, and what the trade in offers me, but likely just get the 350 upgrade unless trade in is crazy on the new hub vs my KDSM as I prefer the KDSM 2016 design then could upgrade the KDSM later.

I just wonder if the will be able to do the full upgrade to the 2016 I.e. ADC and DAC in the space.

Why would you want a DAC in your Hub?

’troll

Hi @Moomintroll my current unit is a kat KDSM but if I upgraded to a new unit I would only get a hub not a full DSM as I am now all exakt, or perhaps I wait for a board for the KDSM in 18 months as mentioned I like the 2016 styling. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

The Organik Akubarik upgade will almost certainly bring your system to a higher level. But will the new Klimax Hub improve your SQ? You won't use its ADC, anyway, with the Urika II. Does it bring a better master clock for Exakt? Probably. And of course the streaming SQ should improve. If you have a chance to hear one in your system with the LP12, please report back. It will be very interesting to learn, what you think about that combo.

Will do. I think you are right though. I would have to hear it first, and determine if the improvement is worth the cost. However, I find myself willing to pay whatever for any improvement these days. On second thought.........:).

But I do think the case alone with it's acoustic isolating properties would be the difference, that and a better clock, whatever that is.

Can we please stop discussing about the knob. Just leave it unused. It’s only a knob.
There are a lot of outputs on my Akurate DSM I never use. Never complained about them.

If you can pay 30.000 you can also buy 500 for that fancy knob. 

You can also leave the remote unused: buy a longer interlink and put the Organik (or Selekt) on the couch, so you can use the knob.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Will prices come down a little bit on older Klimax style kit over the next year or two?  I have a long upgrade path ahead!

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Will do. I think you are right though. I would have to hear it first, and determine if the improvement is worth the cost. However, I find myself willing to pay whatever for any improvement these days. On second thought.........:).

But I do think the case alone with it's acoustic isolating properties would be the difference, that and a better clock, whatever that is.

I still have a question about the acoustic isolating properties of the new case on a System Hub.  After all the Klimax boxes aren't exactly slouches when it comes to isolation.  From what I can see the additional isolation is between the digital input board and the analog boards (the analog input/ADC board and DAC/analog output board.  The system doesn't have the latter and if you are using the Urika 2 you aren't using the former.  So does the additional isolation really help you in this circumstance (which also faces some of my customers)?

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I still have a question about the acoustic isolating properties of the new case on a System Hub.  After all the Klimax boxes aren't exactly slouches when it comes to isolation.  From what I can see the additional isolation is between the digital input board and the analog boards (the analog input/ADC board and DAC/analog output board.  The system doesn't have the latter and if you are using the Urika 2 you aren't using the former.  So does the additional isolation really help you in this circumstance (which also faces some of my customers)?

Take the KRadikal (RadiKal), which I just recently auditioned, the only difference between it and the RAdikal (ARadikal) is the case, and it sounds better, clearly. Like any and all insulation/isolation, diminishing returns kicks in big time. So the old Klimax case provides plenty of acoustical isolation. I can't imagine the new Klimax improving on it. I guess we will just have to audition for ourselves and see if the new K Hub outperforms the old K Hub in an LP12/Urika II system. I would be pleasantly surprised if it did. I would get the new one just for the knob. :D

I just spoke with a dealer. The new Klimax DSM is "selling like hotcakes." He also said that the Linn rep reported robust sales.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I just spoke with a dealer. The new Klimax DSM is "selling like hotcakes." He also said that the Linn rep reported robust sales.

If that’s is the case, that’s good news IMO. It really baffles me though that such a high priced products sells that good. I for one clearly underestimate the client base for such high-end/priced products, being Linn or others for that matter. 

Makes me wonder if the visitors of this small piece internet Linn sanctuary are real representatives of Linn clienteles. Seeing quite some critical remarks following the introduction of the new KDSM.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

If that’s is the case, that’s good news IMO. It really baffles me though that such a high priced products sells that good. I for one clearly underestimate the client base for such high-end/priced products, being Linn or others for that matter. 

Makes me wonder if the visitors of this small piece internet Linn sanctuary are real representatives of Linn clienteles. Seeing quite some critical remarks following the introduction of the new KDSM.

If you build it, they will come. 

There are a lot of people that read the posts on the HiFi Wigwam Linn Club, but rarely, if ever post.

When Linn rolled out the new Klimax Organik DSM’s presentation last Friday, I noticed the largest number of people I have seen, logged in to the Wam all at the same time for a couple of days, since I signed up for the Wam. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

If you build it, they will come. 

Well, thinking 40k for a complete system is a (to) hefty sum for most audiophile/enthousiast, let alone for a source component.

36k gets you a full blown Akubarik system. 24k for Akudorik system seems like pocket money... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

"Just Listen" is well and truly dead then - all these people buying them must be buying them blind! I would expect some orders to have been received  though as it's been quite a teaser campaign that they have run.It's good news as it means that the 'so yesterday' Kilimax DSMs will be hitting the used market (not that it interests me as they have far too few analogue inputs).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Well, thinking 40k for a complete system is a (to) hefty sum for most audiophile/enthousiast, let alone for a source component.

36k gets you a full blown Akubarik system. 24k for Akudorik system seems like pocket money... 

You need to consider that for someone looking at 24k for a Akudorik system is not the target market. There are lot's of people out there who would regard that as 'too cheap' a system for them. When you are looking to spend 100-200k on a system, then a 4/5k streamer is simply not a good enough product for you.

Put it like this, you are in the market for a new Ferrari or Lamborghini, will you look at a high spec Ford Focus ? even though it has all the bells and whistles ? Nope. So, Linn  need a product in this price / product category.

There are also a lot of people out there who would have spent money on a holiday, or 2/3 this year who have not. If you've got a spare 60k sitting there you've not spent from going on holiday, you might treat yourself to the new high-end Linn streamer.

• Like 4