Jump to content

We thought we knew streaming


Recommended Posts

Maybe a streamer that can play DSD AND MQA...?? 

That’s my guess although the katalyst dac is just 3 years old. I hope the Adsm is not getting casework similar to the selekt.

But my two guesses would be

1. A new Klimax streamer
2. DSD/MQA compatibility with Katalyst (not that I care about either format)

If the Klimax streamer gets a better quality display that would be nice. The rotating knob on top is nice but preferable on Klimax casework.


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, zee9 said:

2. DSD/MQA compatibility with Katalyst

Don‘t think so as Linn is apparently not the greatest MQA supporter:

Quote

MQA is bad for music

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Kat DAC can already accept DSD files it is just It can’t travel down the Exakt link ( as yet?) so on my KDSM kat I can play DSD to the analogue outs if I had aktiv speakers.  So some exakt software upgrade to allow this would indeed  be great.

14 minutes ago, zee9 said:


That’s my guess although the katalyst dac is just 3 years old. I hope the Adsm is not getting casework similar to the selekt.

But my two guesses would be

1. A new Klimax streamer
2. DSD/MQA compatibility with Katalyst (not that I care about either format)

If the Klimax streamer gets a better quality display that would be nice. The rotating knob on top is nice but preferable on Klimax casework.


Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, hannson.design said:

My guess is that Linn are bringing out a Roon alternative.  They employ a shed load of software engineers and there’s been very little to show for it. They must be working on something, and Linn refused to bow to Roons demands, which doesn’t make financial sense. Unless ......

The first sentence of the „LinnCast“ invitation might indeed be a hint in this direction as streaming is invisible and the software respectively its GUI virtually the face of streaming:

Quote

Take your seat in the virtual front row as Linn once again changes the face of streaming.

Edited by JensA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rest of the announcement however does not really point at a software release:

Quote

For nearly five decades, Linn has been a world leader in the Hi-Fi industry, designing and manufacturing disruptive, market-changing, high-performance products driven by our enduring passion for music. 

From the LP12 to the CD12 on to the Klimax DS, Linn has a proud history of game-changing hi-fi products.

OK, software developers might call themselves a software manufacturer but no, I think it‘s not about software.

In case they want to present software I doubt they would call it game-changing: Perhaps I don‘t have the fantasy but I cannot imagine any game-changing streaming software innovation. A „better Roon“ ofcourse, but not something completely new.

Therefore I do expect a new piece of hardware.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

The Kat DAC can already accept DSD files it is just It can’t travel down the Exakt link ( as yet?) so on my KDSM kat I can play DSD to the analogue outs if I had aktiv speakers.  So some exakt software upgrade to allow this would indeed  be great.

Linn need to ‘get behind’ DSD properly. Without a DOUBT!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Linn will cooperate with Diretta? 

https://www.diretta.link

Edited by Ben Webster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 90sLinn said:

What about a Klimax microphone? Never really understood why (apart from being different and having their own thing) Linn can measure all Klimax drivers for minor compensations in exakt, but not measure a Klimax level microphone to create a calibration curve relative a master microphone. Then any necessary room compensation of odd room shapes, openings, materials etc  would not be a matter of ”pick the closest”; sliders; ideal locations etc.
(And possibly one could select in the control point whether the listener is in the ideal position or whether one/many people are in an alternative location, thereby switching between a few calibrations setup during installation.)   

With the possibility that the first dealer setup is free for Klimax customers and thereafter,  dealers could offer installations at a fixed (likely substantial) price. Making the microphone a dealer tool.

And/or a microphone is included with Klimax systems but linked to a serial no. preventing its use in other systems. 

Linn claim that the calculation/algorithm modeling method they use for SO is more accurate, and I go along with that based on some experience I had as an engineer.

Here is an explanation: https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Linn_Account_Space_Optimisation#Why_does_Space_Optimisation_not_use_a_microphone_measurement.3F

It's pretty easy to understand as I only had to read it about ten times to figure it out.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Linn need to ‘get behind’ DSD properly. Without a DOUBT!

I play my DSD files from my NAS through my OPPO 203 into the Akurate Hub, with no issues at all.

Works like a charm, and sounds great.

The DSD files do take up a lot of storage on the NAS though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

I play my DSD files from my NAS through my OPPO 203 into the Akurate Hub, with no issues at all.

Works like a charm, and sounds great.

The DSD files do take up a lot of storage on the NAS though.

Yes I do this for my DSD files but you are getting the oppo to do the DSD to PCM conversion would prefer the Kat to do this.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Coalboy68 said:

Yes I do this for my DSD files but you are getting the oppo to do the DSD to PCM conversion would prefer the Kat to do this.  

It would be nice if the Linn DS/DSM’s could play native DSD files

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

It would be nice if the Linn DS/DSM’s could play native DSD files

Why not start with the Linn doing the conversion for 5.1 content by installing a surround module? If it matters to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Linn claim that the calculation/algorithm modeling method they use for SO is more accurate, and I go along with that based on some experience I had as an engineer.

Here is an explanation: https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Linn_Account_Space_Optimisation#Why_does_Space_Optimisation_not_use_a_microphone_measurement.3F

It's pretty easy to understand as I only had to read it about ten times to figure it out.

Sorry do not rate that kind of info very high.... ”CAN have many sources of error” - well why not eliminate those that can be and minimize any remaining. Then compare THAT to the errors of the SO modeling approach..

If Linn had made another decision incl a microphone and published a corresponding doc, I think most here would praise that instead and quote its doc arguing otherwise.

And why not e.g. combine modeling with controlled acoustic measurements..?

Though I would personally prefer Linn spent their R&D in other areas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 90sLinn said:

Sorry do not rate that kind of info very high.... ”CAN have many sources of error” - well why not eliminate those that can be and minimize any remaining. Then compare THAT to the errors of the SO modeling approach..

If Linn had made another decision incl a microphone and published a corresponding doc, I think most here would praise that instead and quote its doc arguing otherwise.

And why not e.g. combine modeling with controlled acoustic measurements..?

Though I would personally prefer Linn spent their R&D in other areas. 

Apparently, they found the modeling approach to be more accurate. At least, that's what they said. I'm just the messenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...