We thought we knew streaming

48 minutes ago, chickenlogic said:

First impressions of the new KDSM.  Anyone speak Japanese?

https://youtu.be/pf2r_385A64

This is from a dealer called Soundline Monolith in Iwade, Wakayama. 

Nice packaging!

Though the display doesn't look very classy from that perspective :/

There are several dealer videos on YouTube showing the unboxing, Ripcaster, Lyric HiFi etc. They have the benefit of being circa 5 minutes long, not 30.

First impressions - nice packaging, it’s heavy, it does look beautifully made. Only two Exakt ports as noted by @Nrwatson - you will have to daisychain speakers if you also have Urika II.

’troll

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

There are several dealer videos on YouTube showing the unboxing, Ripcaster, Lyric HiFi etc. They have the benefit of being circa 5 minutes long, not 30.

First impressions - nice packaging, it’s heavy, it does look beautifully made. Only two Exakt ports as noted by @Nrwatson - you will have to daisychain speakers if you also have Urika II.

’troll

Yeah, the two Exakt ports thingie has been puzzling me from the first time I saw it.

I would imagine Exakt to be the way forward for a lot of things. Kinda like USB is for computing devices. Speakers and Urika are probably just the beginning.

But if you want to put it forward, you also want to have as many ports as possible, otherwise it becomes cumbersome (and yeah, I'm still convinced every device that has a USB input, should also have a USB output so we can daisy chain them. It's a serial protocol after all!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chickenlogic said:

There is a closed caption option for translation in the YouTube window on the lower right that helps some.

40 minutes ago, peter@57m said:

but an extra Exakt port or two would add too much to the retail price ;-)

No room for it. The next Next Gen version will be 1.5 the height.

’troll

Hi, had a listen to it last week. Unbelievably quality. "old" KDSM was totally uninteresting HiFi product in comparison whereas the new version reproduced music. The difference was that big - unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, formann said:

Hi, had a listen to it last week. Unbelievably quality. "old" KDSM was totally uninteresting HiFi product in comparison whereas the new version reproduced music. The difference was that big - unfortunately.

It wasn’t Thursday you went, was it? Just that my KDS suddenly became a totally uninteresting hifi product mid-morning on Thursday, but I couldn’t work out why… 😁

• Haha 7

10 hours ago, chickenlogic said:

Yes. I've watched this video a couple of times. He compared it to his Akurate DSM. He was left speechless. "Once you hear it, you can't go back."

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, formann said:

Gosh, you must be pretty gutted about your Akurate then?  Or is this a case of “the best is the enemy of the good”?

Best start praying Organik reaches the akurate boxes of yesterday. Still enjoying mine though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, formann said:

What was the rest if the system?

Edited by Pennypacker

14 hours ago, Pennypacker said:

What was the rest if the system?

Kudos 707 speakers and a humble Majik4100 amp which was a couple of years old at least. My Akurate EDSM via Akurate Kat Exaktbox was not quite the same....

Do I get it right that we should get similar improvement leaving the old Klimax DSM and adding Organik Exaktbox? Or am I missing something?

Not as I understand it the new kdsm has major changes in clock separation etc which improves it over the old KDSm even without the dac