We thought we knew streaming

I received my unit two weeks ago (audio version), I'm startled since every time I settle on the coach and turn the music on, it is so musical !

Kdsm.thumb.jpg.f7eaff750bb7ae7a873e75f8edae5c64.jpg

A few observations :

- I’ve spent some time comparing wifi vs wired Ethernet (my rig is bonn N8 on stock power supply & nordost rj45 cable) : I tend to prefer it wired but and foremost it was not easy - for me - to spot the difference (I simply could just be delusional, and swapping takes time). So at least I’m now convinced the wifi connection is a high quality one (was also sceptical due to emi it must induce inside). Roon was lost with wifi, it will probably be fixed (ok with minimserver). Next step will be SFP (I haven’t settled my mind yet on what equipment to go for) 

- SO : I believe the benefits it provides are improved in that it doesn’t feel like if something is “left on the field” anymore (I used to play SO off with kdms/2 and forget about it because I felt it removed a bit of musicality in my room, even after “great effort” in precision laser measurements and Shorter Decay Time 100%). I still play with SO off and will give it another try when “in the mood” in a hassle free and hobbystic approach. By the way SO doesn’t seem to work on dsd.

- It can play DXD ! (flac 24/352)

- It seems the output transformers are on the rca (at least disconnectable only on rca). I use unbalanced with solos, but personally can’t hear an unbiased different perception between on/off after brief attempts (default is on)

766891314_KonfigImage.jpg.c2497c24a000f1afce75fcb4fdd8d79f.jpg

- As you probably noticed, the newest beta daavar adds the functionality to toggle between balance/unbalanced output, so it’s perfect for a auxiliary headphone ring; it’s so cool ! ^_^

- On the wish-list or preference, I would like to have the ability to turn off the illuminated Linn logo and/or front name when the unit is on standby (haven’t seen those settings)

- Last, here is an interesting scheme I found on internet and didn’t saw on Linn website 

407265023_katvsOrganik2.thumb.png.bab50ebb3494cc38433cb9c3abcd0c5f.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, frd said:

I received my unit two weeks ago (audio version), I'm startled since every time I settle on the coach and turn the music on, it is so musical !

A few observations :

- I’ve spent some time comparing wifi vs wired Ethernet (my rig is bonn N8 on stock power supply & nordost rj45 cable) : I tend to prefer it wired but and foremost it was not easy - for me - to spot the difference (I simply could just be delusional, and swapping takes time). So at least I’m now convinced the wifi connection is a high quality one (was also sceptical due to emi it must induce inside). Roon was lost with wifi, it will probably be fixed (ok with minimserver). Next step will be SFP (I haven’t settled my mind yet on what equipment to go for) 

- SO : I believe the benefits it provides are improved in that it doesn’t feel like if something is “left on the field” anymore (I used to play SO off with kdms/2 and forget about it because I felt it removed a bit of musicality in my room, even after “great effort” in precision laser measurements and Shorter Decay Time 100%). I still play with SO off and will give it another try when “in the mood” in a hassle free and hobbystic approach. By the way SO doesn’t seem to work on dsd.

- It seems the output transformers are on the rca (at least disconnectable only on rca). I use unbalanced with solos, but personally can’t hear an unbiased different perception between on/off after brief attempts (default is on)

- As you probably noticed, the newest beta daavar adds the functionality to toggle between balance/unbalanced output, so it’s perfect for a auxiliary headphone ring; it’s so cool ! ^_^

- On the wish-list or preference, I would like to have the ability to turn off the illuminated Linn logo and/or front name when the unit is on standby (haven’t seen those settings)

- Last, here is an interesting scheme I found on internet and didn’t saw on Linn website 

Congratulations!!!

Thank you for your post.

‘Lots of interesting reading about your experiences with your new Klimax DSM, and the new information you present

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frd said:

By the way SO doesn’t seem to work on dsd.

I’m pretty sure DSD would need to be converted to PCM to have SO applied.

I believe that Linn DAC Evolution chart probably comes from the dealer pre-release documentation, so obviously isn’t regarded as “commercially sensitive” now.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Upvote 1

On 23/04/2021 at 16:14, Paulssurround said:

Please invite me as well. 😊

Stu’s Linn system is one of the best I have ever heard.

I would love to hear it gain with the new Next Gen Klimax DSM 

Don't forget the excellent cooking too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

Don't forget the excellent cooking too!

Yes the food was truly exceptional.

Too bad Stu lives so far away from Vancouver  😊

On 24/04/2021 at 17:59, Moomintroll said:

I’m pretty sure DSD would need to be converted to PCM to have SO applied.

I agree. SO manipulates the bits. DSD has only 1 bit so not much scope for manipulation. As I understand it DSD gets transcoded to 32-bit PCM (DXD) in recording studios so the engineers can apply equalisation and then it goes back to DSD. 

I set up JRiver MC to apply room correction and then convert to DSD. I thought myself quite clever until I played some tracks - sounded abysmal. Not bothered since.

The new Organik DAC design looks very impressive, but I wish everybody would stop saying it sounds so wonderful as it is beyond the scope of my piggy bank.  

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We get so mired in this discussion about DACs I must remind myself that DACs are an unnecessary necessary evil. One can have a system with no DACs and have perfectly enjoyable music. Sometimes I long for those days. :)

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

We get so mired in this discussion about DACs I must remind myself that DACs are an unnecessary necessary evil. One can have a system with no DACs and have perfectly enjoyable music. Sometimes I long for those days. :)

Ebay is your friend in this matter.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Ebay is your friend in this matter.

I do have and all analogue surround sound system. I was just reminiscing about the old turntable/integrated amp/passive speaker systems of my younger days. Perhaps it was the younger days that I was really nostalgic for. :D

• Haha 2

On 26/04/2021 at 12:53, akamatsu said:

I do have and all analogue surround sound system. I was just reminiscing about the old turntable/integrated amp/passive speaker systems of my younger days. Perhaps it was the younger days that I was really nostalgic for. :D

Interesting thought.  But I'm trying to figure out how you have an all analogue (UK spelling from Point Roberts?) surround sound system?  VHS tapes and Dolby Pro Logic, maybe?:minikev:

Just now, ThomasOK said:

Interesting thought.  But I'm trying to figure out how you have an all analogue (UK spelling from Point Roberts?) surround sound system?  VHS tapes and Dolby Pro Logic, maybe?:minikev:

Good point. I guess digital has crept in so far we don't, at least I don't notice it sometimes. I was just contrasting my Aktiv/Passive system with Exakt.

My computer is set on "Canadian English." :D

7 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Alternate reply:

Betamax. :D

Edited by akamatsu

3 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Good point. I guess digital has crept in so far we don't, at least I don't notice it sometimes. I was just contrasting my Aktiv/Passive system with Exakt.

My computer is set on "Canadian English." :D

I didn't notice the "eh" at the end of the sentences.  Good to know what it's all aboot.

• Haha 4

On 24/04/2021 at 10:28, frd said:

A few observations :

Thank you for the update.  Are there configuration controls for other illumination sources coming from the NG DSM - like the Control Dial on top and the Media Information on the front display.  Not sure if there are network activity lights on the back.

Edited by ToddH
wording