We thought we knew streaming

On 28/04/2021 at 11:31, ThomasOK said:

I didn't notice the "eh" at the end of the sentences.  Good to know what it's all aboot.

Take it easy there bud, and take 20 % off the top of all that Canadian stuff or we will cut of the Maple syrup pipeline. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, arm said:

Take it easy there bud, and take 20 % off the top of all that Canadian stuff or we will cut of the Maple syrup pipeline. 

2DBE7B03-A4CB-4A9F-A09F-35F598522651.jpeg

On 25/04/2021 at 08:16, Stu said:

Thanks, guys. You’re very welcome. My order is in for a new system hub.

Same here. Ten week lead time apparently. 350 Organik boards much sooner.

’troll

• Like 2

On 25/04/2021 at 00:16, Stu said:

Thanks, guys. You’re very welcome. My order is in for a new system hub.

I too will be ordering the Hub to pair with my Akubariks. Obviously no Organik for me yet.

Will your Klimax Exaktboxes be getting the Organik treatment at the same time?

14 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Same here. Ten week lead time apparently. 350 Organik boards much sooner.

’troll

Congratulations!

I was surprised and disappointed to see that the KSH has only two ExaktLink ports. So with a Urika II, daisy chaining is necessary. Will make concealing the cables a little more difficult for me.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I was surprised and disappointed to see that the KSH has only two ExaktLink ports. So with a Urika II, daisy chaining is necessary. Will make concealing the cables a little more difficult for me.

Yes, still find it an odd move. My Exaktlink feeds to the speakers are routed under the floor, but fortunately I can take a daisychain link between them around a bay window. At least it will give me a spare link to the speakers, by leaving the unused one in place. Have you considered linking your Urika II into one of the speakers?

’troll

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Yes, still find it an odd move. My Exaktlink feeds to the speakers are routed under the floor, but fortunately I can take a daisychain link between them around a bay window. At least it will give me a spare link to the speakers, by leaving the unused one in place. Have you considered linking your Urika II into one of the speakers?

’troll

I thought about it, but daisy chaining the speakers would still make more sense. It's no big deal, but I wish there were four Exaktlink ports like in my lowly AEDSM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, ToddH said:

Thank you for the update.  Are there configuration controls for other illumination sources coming from the NG DSM - like the Control Dial on top and the Media Information on the front display.  Not sure if there are network activity lights on the back.

I haven’t seen any configuration for display & dial, expect for proximity sensor.

The Davaar 81 beta description states “add ability to disable exaktlink leds” & “option to disable power indicator led” - I presume the latter concerns the dial.

There is network activity blue lights on the back with wired Ethernet, very visible at night, I presume they will add the ability to disable them as well (or comes with exaktlink)

• Like 3

I thought about it, but daisy chaining the speakers would still make more sense. It's no big deal, but I wish there were four Exaktlink ports like in my lowly AEDSM.

Perhaps Linn may eventually offer something like an external Exakt-link hub?

I can appreciate the ability to daisy-chain, but as they are also now doing surround sound in a more prevalent way, to me it would make sense to have a small, machined aluminum Exakt link hub for home runs to Exakt speakers. I'd think something like an 8-port hub would make sense - full 7-channel surround from hub, leaving available Exakt port on the DSM for the Urika; if one wanted to also add subs an Exakt Box sub could be added to the hub which would still leave enough Exakt links to home-run CAT for a 7-channel surround system.

I am not sure how large the market for something like this would be however. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frd said:

There is network activity blue lights on the back with wired Ethernet, very visible at night, I presume they will add the ability to disable them as well (or comes with exaktlink)

From memory, the blue LEDs are Exakt.

’troll

• Upvote 1

Seen on the blog of the Belgium dealer silences

- Detailed pictures of fitting a surround module inside a kdsm/3 av

link Silences - Efficiency & Emotion: Klimax DSM Organik: Ouverture des entrailles pour installation Surround

- Testing of the optical network connection, if you can read french/google translate

link: Silences - Efficiency & Emotion: Port SFP Optique: Mieux que le Ethernet cuivre ?

Very basically - they say much more - apologies for being an unwilling translator !  :

• They conclude it’s highly superior sonically compared to wired Ethernet after AB listening tests.
  • The kdsm/3 has a 1Gb/s SFP (not 10Gb/s SFP+) which I think isn’t clearly mentioned in Linn docs. They used the recommended SFP from Linn : it’s obviously a multimode laser SFP (vcsel) because of the use of an OM4 cable. It makes sense to me, short range application, I will ask my dealer (they don’t name it and can’t find the info on Linn docs)
  • They tried different switches, don’t reveal witch one they prefer, while saying they hear audible differences between them (they will continue to investigate SFPs and switches)

I’m “all in” except for the last part because network electrical noise is completely defeated with build in Optical Ethernet (appart the noise of the SFP itself) 

So, trying to understand, what is left on the switch side ? clocking ? I don’t get it with clocking sensitivity here - as long as you have a correct setup - because it’s an asynchronous/buffered connection (we all experienced it : when you pull the cable it continues to play for seconds)

And we all seen it, some people and manufacturers take great lengths to optimise clocking everywhere in switches, computers, network cards, etc … With a synchronous connection (spdif, synchronous mode USB, …), I can personally conceptualise it - and happily elude it with a streamer.

Maybe I’m missing something here and/or it has nothing to do with clocking. I’ve been surprised more than once, if it is possible to hear it first hand, I would like to have an explanation I can understand, preferably from Linn or an other authority in that matter.

Edited by frd
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I too will be ordering the Hub to pair with my Akubariks. Obviously no Organik for me yet.

Will your Klimax Exaktboxes be getting the Organik treatment at the same time?

Congratulations!

Not directly. I’d like to savour the delights of the hub for a bit before I go for the Organik boards. 

• Like 3

I still dont quite understand why anyone would fork out 15k to get a shiny box with ethernet ports.

The organik dac, yes. holy grail. But the "Hub"? Integrate that into the speaker and charge an extra 1000 for it, Linn. Thank you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uk030 said:

I still dont quite understand why anyone would fork out 15k to get a shiny box with ethernet ports.

The organik dac, yes. holy grail. But the "Hub"? Integrate that into the speaker and charge an extra 1000 for it, Linn. Thank you.

When you hear it you might change your mind 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

When you hear it you might change your mind 

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I know you ordered one and am hoping to get your review when it arrives   😊

‘I did an audition of the new Klimax DSM and it was staggeringly good, and posted  this thread about it:

• Like 2