We thought we knew streaming

14 hours ago, frd said:

Seen on the blog of the Belgium dealer silences

- Detailed pictures of fitting a surround module inside a kdsm/3 av

Some lovely photos in that first blog.

’troll

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

With the optical ethernet connection the discussion on audiophile ethernet cable has come to an end?

Probably to be replaced by the great audiophile fibre cable debate. AQ already sells a £520 optical cable, I’m sure they won’t want to miss out on this new opportunity. 

And Melco already sells an audiophile fibre optic switch. https://www.melco-audio-masters.com/uploads/1/0/1/5/101505220/mel_2073_s100_a4_2pp_info_sheet_v3.pdf

There are lots of exciting debates ahead. 

I am often told I should upgrade my Mac mini with its Firewire Attached Storage to an audiophile NAS, but lots of folk use Tidal & Qobuz these days. I wonder what audiophile music servers Tidal & Qobuz use? 

But then folk laughed at my suggestion of audiophile wire socks https://smile.amazon.co.uk/PureMounts-Universal-Binding-Diameter-Polyester/dp/B008KL836Y/ref=sr_1_1

13 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

With the new clock the discussion on audiophile switches has come to an end?

With the optical ethernet connection the discussion on audiophile ethernet cable has come to an end?

Instead we are looking forward to discussions on how to tune sfp adapter and which optical cable sounds best?

:D :P :D

And judging by the weight of the thing, I think it may well have a local substation inside it, or a small nuclear reactor. We might not need to worry about mains cable choice any more either!!

1 hour ago, jonbsbd said:

And judging by the weight of the thing, I think it may well have a local substation inside it, or a small nuclear reactor. We might not need to worry about mains cable choice any more either!!

Oh, there’s a challenge… :nerves:

‘troll

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

My listening thoughts on KDSM/3 as system hub and as an Organik source.

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2021/05/product-review-linns-next-generation.html?m=1

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Upvote 1

As I'm constantly curious, I came up with a nice little experiment that can be performed.

Fully spec'd Klimax LP12 into the Katalyst KDSM and into the Organik KDSM, both playing the same album that is captured by the Songcorder.

I'm curious if the two samples will present a difference when played back on a lower-end system (Katalist KDSM, ADSM, and so on). My gut feeling is that the soncordered Organik KDSM should sound better even on lesser systems, but I have no way to prove it :D

Anybody willing to give it a try?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2021 at 11:24, DoomHammer said:

As I'm constantly curious, I came up with a nice little experiment that can be performed.

Fully spec'd Klimax LP12 into the Katalyst KDSM and into the Organik KDSM, both playing the same album that is captured by the Songcorder.

I'm curious if the two samples will present a difference when played back on a lower-end system (Katalist KDSM, ADSM, and so on). My gut feeling is that the soncordered Organik KDSM should sound better even on lesser systems, but I have no way to prove it :D

Anybody willing to give it a try?

I'm sure that could be heard. I remember comparing the Urika 1 and 2 on songcorded files, the difference could easily be perceived.

Edited by Tendaberry
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2021 at 09:50, Nestor Turton said:

Probably to be replaced by the great audiophile fibre cable debate.

Someone should tell the Zeiss guys in Jena 🇩🇪. There might be more profit in it, than building custom telescope lenses, planetarium systems, and alike. 🤑

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/04/2021 at 13:58, frd said:

I haven’t seen any configuration for display & dial, expect for proximity sensor.

The Davaar 81 beta description states “add ability to disable exaktlink leds” & “option to disable power indicator led” - I presume the latter concerns the dial.

There is network activity blue lights on the back with wired Ethernet, very visible at night, I presume they will add the ability to disable them as well (or comes with exaktlink)

Thanks to my Linn reps knowledge when installing my new hub, the light from the dial on the NGKDSM can be managed via the "Power Indicator (Active mode)" setting in Konfig - Configuration / Display / Advanced.  I have the hub version, though I doubt that matters for this setting.   Helpful as the NGDSM is a couple feet below my TV.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 21:23, ToddH said:

Thanks to my Linn reps knowledge when installing my new hub, the light from the dial on the NGKDSM can be managed via the "Power Indicator (Active mode)" setting in Konfig - Configuration / Display / Advanced.  I have the hub version, though I doubt that matters for this setting.   Helpful as the NGDSM is a couple feet below my TV.

Yes, thanks, I use those settings too : no more lights when in standby except for the discreet illuminated logo in full letters on the front. That’s suits me :)

Edited by frd

Yes, all lights out except for Linn de-cal on the front glass, that's me to with my Organik Silver DSM ( Music only version ) none of your HDMI here!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1