We thought we knew streaming

26 minutes ago, 90sLinn said:

And why not e.g. combine modeling with controlled acoustic measurements..?

Though I would personally prefer Linn spent their R&D in other areas. 

The laws of physics as applied to room acoustics are well understood.

There are a lot of AES papers that show how to get results for adjusting for room characteristics in various ways. Linn could draw on (m)any of them and embody in products.

There would possibly be software costs involved, but this can count as R&D for the purposes of tax in the UK with a 100% write-off until a product is produced.

Models are a bit like a a well-educated guess, so yes, controlled acoustic measurements would be better in achieving the absolute best possible. But this relies on users not screwing things up. 

Much of Linn's products are effectively high end lifestyle systems where ease of use is paramount. IMHO, Linn are happy to push something more accurate than doing nothing, but seemingly less happy to get users involved in technicalities of understanding room acoustic theory and taking measurements. In defence, using models in an easy to use system means there aren't going to be huge numbers of users who cannot get significant improvements. However, if they did opt for controlled acoustic measurements, users would report inconsistent results that are more likely a result of end users being unable to correctly interact with the system, messing up taking good measurements, or misunderstanding quite technical guidance given in any manual.

Noting the 'lifestyle' aim of the Selekt and the video hints + the number of people these run their TV through their Linn hifi, maybe a modern version of the Classic Movie? Selekt Movie? Would be a bit of a departure from their recent line ups though.

New Speakers that will replace the Akubarik. Since they have already moved the amps and the exakt modules into the speakers this will be the final step.....moving the rest of it into the speaker cabinet. No more "LP" sized boxes.

On a more serious note.... I'm still in search of passive Akubariks, walnut with black arrays 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My two cents...

1. The Katalyst already supports native DSD like previously cited in this thread. I use it all the time with my SDSM and the analog outputs.
  2. No chance with MQA. Not only does Linn have no interest, the format is flawed and essentially DOA. Ask any of your friends who are not into audio how they like their MQA audio files and watch for the blank look. MQA is about control and not audio quality. The only folks who discuss MQA at all are audio types. Look at the thread on CA about it. There are 26k thread responses complaining about the tech. MQA is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist, no one cares and is nothing but smoke and mirrors. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

As far as what Linn will announce it is fun to speculate. As a SDSM user I would like to see at least some type of new module. I could also see Linn having their own take on Roon as others have suggested. 

Another possibility is a move away from AKM DACs which would be a shame, but the fire at the AKM factory could have an impact on parts availability. I am a big fan of the Katalyst architecture so hopefully I am wrong here. It could just as easily be Katalyst 2.

What about a new box combining a Klimax System Hub and a Klimax ExaktBox Katalyst?

In Linn setup, I don’t see why we still need these 2 elements to be different. Combining both should allow to shorten the way of the signal and thus improve the sound quality. It would also to decrease the number of boxes for a Klimax system, which has ben clearly the trend these last years...

• Upvote 1

A Klimax Selekt?

Maybe a new platform for streaming audio/video from a cloud?

6 hours ago, ropedrag said:

New Speakers that will replace the Akubarik. Since they have already moved the amps and the exakt modules into the speakers this will be the final step.....moving the rest of it into the speaker cabinet. No more "LP" sized boxes.

On a more serious note.... I'm still in search of passive Akubariks, walnut with black arrays 

There are a beautiful pair in Takt&ton in Luleå, Sweden for sale 8000 euros .

4 minutes ago, CaptenBonScott said:

There are a beautiful pair in Takt&ton in Luleå, Sweden for sale 8000 euros .

Great dealership, BTW!

7 hours ago, ropedrag said:

I am a VERY satisfied Owner of passieve Akubariks. In walnut. Bought them brand new a year-and-a-half ago from Billy Vee in Lewisham, London, and took them home by car myself.

They really sound great on my Klimax set, especially now that I bi-wire them from my two Solos.

So, if you can find them, go for it - you will not be disappointed.

greetz,

Willem, Netherlands.

8DDE0001-7AAC-42E6-BA7B-1538C400DE26.jpeg

Edited by DutchWillem
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

It would be nice if the Linn DS/DSM’s could play native DSD files

Currently Linn must transcode DSD to PCM to apply Space Optimisation. In a studio, to apply equalisation to a DSD recording, the engineer must transcode it to 32 bit DXD. which is PCM, apply optimisation, then transcode it back to DSD. Linn could do this in its FPGA before it reaches the Katalyst, but  could be tricky. More FPGA processing you do then more noise (EMI/RFI)they make. However, Linn will overcome this with its new Linn wireless earspeakers (to be announced on 26th March), which eliminate the room and will once again change the face of streaming. No extra processing will be unnecessary and native DSD will be option. Of course, for communal listening there will still be loudspeakers, but a new wireless Exakt module (also to be announced on 26th March) will remove the need for cables. But then I could be wrong, again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DutchWillem said:

I am a VERY satisfied Owner of passieve Akubariks. In walnut. Bought them brand new a year-and-a-half ago from Billy Vee in Lewisham, London, and took them home by car myself.

They really sound great on my Klimax set, especially now that I bi-wire them from my two Solos.

So, if you can find them, go for it - you will not be disappointed.

greetz,

Willem, Netherlands.

8DDE0001-7AAC-42E6-BA7B-1538C400DE26.jpeg

Nice!

BTW: It seems the chess board is not set up properly :D

• Haha 1

Yes that would annoy me too

Lovely setup otherwise 😉

Edited by Nrwatson

16 hours ago, JensA said:

The rest of the announcement however does not really point at a software release:

OK, software developers might call themselves a software manufacturer but no, I think it‘s not about software.

In case they want to present software I doubt they would call it game-changing: Perhaps I don‘t have the fantasy but I cannot imagine any game-changing streaming software innovation. A „better Roon“ ofcourse, but not something completely new.

Therefore I do expect a new piece of hardware.

I think JensA reads well and is right. Definitely no software. No MQA, but hardware.
My guess: a totally new Klimax. New case. Bigger display. Looks a bit like the Selekt and new Magik design. Shiny gold would be nice... ;-) 
New Akurate will appear two years later. Existing Akurate owners (like myself) have more time to get used to the idea of the new appearance, or save for the old Klimax Katalyst. New Akurate will beat the old Klimax/3, but there will be a lot of debate again. 

Stop spending in feet, switches and powercords. We better start saving again! 

• Like 2