We thought we knew streaming

7 minutes ago, Donuk said:

I think akamatsu has the right idea.

But something that is beyond the Linn Klimax has surely to be the Linn Kleenex.....

Way to think outside the box.

• Haha 1

A piece of kit to deliver that Princess Leia moment into my living room - a holografik  experience? Sadly I think not but one day, somewhere, in a galaxy far far away - who knows?

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I did hear a rumour of something above Klimax level. The problem is in the naming. Where do you go from Klimax? Multiple?:brick:

The Klimax Statement 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As my streaming source is a humble KRDS I have chosen not to tempt myself with the upgrade cirkus (or is that a karousel? 🤔).

Perhaps as a result of this very conscious decision, I can’t help wondering what those  having made all the upgrades to their KDS/KDSMs feel right now: I assume you are (rightly) extremely satisfied with the performance of your Linn systems today: And it will be exaktly as good also after the 26th. But how are your feelings about the upcoming Linn event: 100% excitement of what Linn has come up with this time or do you have mixed feelings as to ”What on earth will it cost this time?”

(Not knowing whether it is a succesor to the KDS that will be presented at all.)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I did hear a rumour of something above Klimax level. The problem is in the naming. Where do you go from Klimax? Multiple?:brick:

Probably “Konsequenze”

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the current Linn lineup, there are a number of trends to consider that may extrapolate to new product releases.

I recall Linn was advertising for a new audio engineer to work with Philbo for development of future speakers, and more recently they were searching for a new person with expertise in amplification design. We know that Linn has hired a physicist to develop Space Optimisation v2, and may have a big roll in the new products.

‘There are many things that are now integrated into Linn’s technology, including class D amplification,  future upgradability, modular components to add functionality such as the surround module, ability to add amplification modules , plug and play, connectivity to multiple devices and streaming from those devices.

Linn has put a lot of effort to making their new products function with many other brands of speakers, Exakt Design opens doors to allowing many models of speakers Exakt, thus new customers potentially using Linn components.

Gilad has stated recently that Exakt technology has not been as widely adopted as was hoped, but that doesn’t mean that Linn will not continue to embrace it. Not everyone is willing to purchase external amplification boxes with multiple Exaktboxes, but Linn may move to higher end integration of technology rolled out in Selekt and push it up to Akurate level, Klimax level or higher.

Linn will probably move further towards a more integrated approach, to simplify box count, ease of connecting with plug and play, such as the 3 series speakers.

‘Linn has also shown that they are moving towards integrated streamers in the speakers, such as the 3 series.

‘I would guess that we are looking at new Akurate and Klimax level streamer-integrated speakers with all built in amplification, with an ability to add modules into the speaker boxes, to add more amplification channels, incorporate surround sound modules and other ports for additional future modules functionality.

‘Having just purchased an Apple Home Pod, I have an idea that someday Linn speakers will have built in microphones or sensors like the Home Pods, to measure the sound quality of the room  and its reflection off the walls and adjust the output to compensate for room modes, building materials, temperature, humidity.

‘Perhaps Linn will embrace Lidar technology to map out the room and building materials to accurately do dimensional audio measurements of the room  and how the sounds act in the room layout and compensate in real time. 

I am looking forward to hearing about the rollout latter this month and have signed up 

• Like 1

That's the day I'm scheduled to take my Mother for a Katarakt operation. Hopefully that's not an omen :/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Never heard of the G-spot ? 🙂

Edited by CaptenBonScott
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Thanks for the information. I have to run my DSD files through my OPPO to convert to PCM in surround

As far as I can tell, the Surround module does not process DSD

Nice speculation on the new to be announced Linn on March 26th

Yes the Oppo should work very nicely. It is a shame they don't make them any longer. I was going to buy one when they announced they were stopping. I bought a Sony instead, which is fine, but not at Oppo level. I play the Sony through my TV which goes HDMI ARC to my ADSM - it sounds good to me and makes it much easier to follow commentaries and dialogue than if I don't play it through the Linn. 

Upstairs my Chord system gives me an option. With a DSD stream I can put it through the mScaler (FPGA) module, which converts to DSD before upscaling or I can bypass the mScaler and play native DSD. I can hear a clear difference (DSD left as DSD is possibly better). Chord stopped using off-the-shelf DACs some time ago (20 years) and I wonder if Linn is considering this after the AKM fire. As posted previously, I worked with FPGAs (programming) and they're not the quietest things, but Linn certainly has the expertise to deal with it. Your attention to detail regarding additional shielding will help quieten them down too (ferrite rings on interconnects are good, but you need ones that work between 1GHz and 2GHz to suppress FPGA noise effectively) - this is an extreme example applied to a digital interconnect. 

image.png.f2bf60af44dfd24fedc5e2f7d479e71e.png 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nestor Turton said:

Chord stopped using off-the-shelf DACs some time ago (20 years) and I wonder if Linn is considering this after the AKM fire. As posted previously, I worked with FPGAs (programming) and they're not the quietest things, but Linn certainly has the expertise to deal with it

Certainly dCS use FPGAs to great effect in their equipment too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coalboy68 said:

Certainly dCS use FPGAs to great effect in their equipment too. 

I'm not overly familiar with dCS, but from what I have read they make some extremely good kit 

FPGAs can do more or less what you want them to do - the hardest bit is deciding what you want them to do. 
Fortunately, I was mainly asked to do the easy bit (programming) 

Linn has been usign FPGA for ages for their DSP. AFAIK it started with Sondek CD12 (4D Processing) and Ikemi (2D Processing). Every next generation Linn CD/DS source had a chip exactly for this purpose. 

• Like 3

On 05/03/2021 at 16:52, Eldarboy said:

According to the just-received email from Linn. Are there any clairvoyants out there willing to venture a guess?

Mine is they are going to provide their own subscription streaming service which partners with their current label relationships, at a minimum. Members would receive discounts on downloads and be privy to surprise, time limited sales.

What does your crystal ball tell you?

I could imagine that 384 kHz is coming. And that more will be done in the direction of shielding and EMI/EMF and RFI.
It would be great to have a wireless transmission to the DSM/hub and the loudspeakers, all problems with cables, power supply units and scattering would be gone.

My experiences with the Bonn N8 and which power supply is used with it show me that this is where the greatest potential for sound improvement currently lies.

Yes Linn uses the Xilinx Virtex-4 FPGA for its custom-designed up-sampling engine. For the Wolfson DAC it upsamples to 352.8kHz or 384kHz and for Katalyst 705.6kHz or 768kHz. If Linn wanted to create the DAC as well it may need a Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA. If you are new to FPGAs and have an interest in them then there is a free book available from Intel.They titled it with me in mind. 

image.png.703b489d214cebd91a301d190dfa5a2a.png

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

I could imagine that 384 kHz is coming.

Linn already does 768kHz. 

Great Einstein quote, but I'm reminded of the lyrics of Robert Calvert from Hawkwind 

Einstein was not a handsome fellow. 
Nobody ever called him Al
He had a long moustache to pull on, it was yellow
I don't believe he ever had a girl
One thing he missed out in his theory
Of time and space and relativity
Is something that makes it very clear
He was never gonna be like you and me
He didn't know about Quarks, Strangeness and Charm

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1