We thought we knew streaming

My thoughts related to this announcement could use some advice from the gurus here.
I just acquired an Adsm/1 with the thought of getting the katalyst upgrade.

Now the issue is should I order the katalyst upgrade or wait to hear the announcement? If they announce something new for Klimax level than it won’t affect me but if it’s a new dac better than katalyst it will. On the flip side if they don’t offer the upgrade anymore I’m literally screwed with an overpriced Adsm/1 that I just bought.

What would you do?

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

52 minutes ago, zee9 said:

My thoughts related to this announcement could use some advice from the gurus here.

Now the issue is should I order the katalyst upgrade or wait to hear the announcement? If they announce something new for Klimax level than it won’t affect me but if it’s a new dac better than katalyst it will. On the flip side if they don’t offer the upgrade anymore I’m literally screwed with an overpriced Adsm/1 that I just bought.

What would you do?

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

Be happy with your new ADSM/1, with a possible Katalyst upgrade in the future.

‘The new announcement will not effect your choice 

• Like 3

On 05/03/2021 at 19:26, akamatsu said:

If you are reacting to my reply, don't worry as I don't think DS will surpass vinyl for a long time. However, It may be best to hold off for potential promotions. I know, three weeks is a veritable eternity. :D

New product announcements always unsettle me. I know my system won’t sound any different, but what if it could be even better...? Anyway, I’ve had a lie down and now feel much better, so Urika2 is back in the frame. As for what is announced on the 26th - my calm mind now thinks:

a) it’s of no interest to me, (shame, but applaud Linn for caring)

b) ooh, I want one and it’s affordable, (yippee) or, most likely,

c) oh, I want one and it’s unaffordable (big sulk, stop playing music, eat cake etc)

’troll :$

PS - yes, I’ve fallen foul of new product launches, where I signed up on day of release, to find I lose out on a promotion just weeks later. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

New product announcements always unsettle me. I know my system won’t sound any different, but what if it could be even better...? Anyway, I’ve had a lie down and now feel much better, so Urika2 is back in the frame. As for what is announced on the 26th - my calm mind now thinks:

a) it’s of no interest to me, (shame, but applaud Linn for caring)

b) ooh, I want one and it’s affordable, (yippee) or, most likely,

c) oh, I want one and it’s unaffordable (big sulk, stop playing music, eat cake etc)

’troll :$

PS - yes, I’ve fallen foul of new product launches, where I signed up on day of release, to find I lose out on a promotion just weeks later. 

To your point c; if you can't afford it, it should not affect you. I've found that unobtainium upgrades don't enter my mind while listening to music so they don't distract me from musical enjoyment. The biggest upgrade you can make is to listen to the music, and not the hifi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ideally, new upgraded boards with improved DACs will be available for all three levels.

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

To your point c; if you can't afford it, it should not affect you. I've found that unobtainium upgrades don't enter my mind while listening to music so they don't distract me from musical enjoyment. The biggest upgrade you can make is to listen to the music, and not the hifi.

This is spot on.

If in listening to the system one finds themself thinking it needs improving, or could be improved, or even "gosh that sounds impressive I wonder if it could be any better", then one has stopped following the music and is instead thinking about changing things.

By definition, this means one finds some kind of fault in the sound that detracts from the music with the kit now being the focus. Unless one is listening to some crappy music to begin with.

• Like 2

Well, that could also mean that you would still hear Isobarik with a Naim chain.

10 hours ago, zee9 said:

What would you do?

I'm not a guru, but my advice would be to relax, put on some music, and wait 18 days and see what all the fuss is about.

• Upvote 4

I am sure that with the subsequent effusive prose that will ensue from some, it should have been called "Orgasmik DAC Architecture"

22 hours ago, Johannes said:

Well, that could also mean that you would still hear Isobarik with a Naim chain.

There are still many advocates, and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Music At Home said:

Nice find, I wonder if its a ladder DAC like Chord / dCS?

2 hours ago, Music At Home said:

Very interesting @Music At Home.

I wonder what the Linn Hallelujah was going to be? I like the thought of a Linn Gaelik but not a Linn Klincher!

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmowner/page/search?domain=1&page=1&id=110894&app=0&mark=UK00003540037

• Haha 2

Combine the KDS streaming platform with a Rob Watts FPGA DAC, and you’ll have a ‘Chicken-Dinner’! :D

21 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

Very interesting @Music At Home.

I wonder what the Linn Hallelujah was going to be? I like the thought of a Linn Gaelik but not a Linn Klincher!

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmowner/page/search?domain=1&page=1&id=110894&app=0&mark=UK00003540037

I have a pair of pre-Keltik prototype Linn speakers as a restoration project (read, get them working again).  I was going to call them Gaelik, thought I was clever, then read that list this morning :(