Wanted - Large Horn Speaker Altec or JBL

Hello.  Looking for some big horn speakers.  I have a big room to fill with sound.  Ideally Altec 19 or JBL.  Budget £2k.  Please let me know if anyone has, or knows of, anything relevant.

I'm in Kent but have a van so can pick up.

Thank You!

Thanks, Adry!

Edited by Hornucopia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the link.  I had seen these Opera's and they seem to be great, but over my budget.  So if anyone knows of anything else at £2k I'd love to know...

Impulse H2's ? 

I have a pair in VGC £1500

Ive heard H2s and they are very good. They weren't Allen's pair - these were in SW London. I took my Snell E11 speakers there for comparison - the H2s kicked them into touch.

Jack

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was hoping for a 15 inch woofer...  Want serious bass.  These just look like other floor standers.  They do seem to get good reviews, but I love the look of a big box.  These are for my art studio not my living room so I big box suits that aesthetic.

• Like 1

I also have a pair of Tannoy Glenair 15" speakers that could be for sale but outside your budget by £500 

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/tannoy-glenair-15-loudspeakers-455-p.asp

Good idea.  Thx.  I really like the brutal simplicity of these but have read that they can be harsh and the bass is not extensive.  But there are is within my budget even allowing for collection from Germany. 

Any opinions on the sound?  I guess the chances of getting JBL 43XX or Altec 19's are slim for £2k?

2 hours ago, nickv said:

Thanks.  Do you rate the Tannoy DMT 15?  They seem around my budget if I can get a decent used pair.

Yes,i like them very much.

JBL 43xx are out of your budget and Altec 19 are not easy to find.

6 hours ago, nickv said:

Good idea.  Thx.  I really like the brutal simplicity of these but have read that they can be harsh and the bass is not extensive.  But there are is within my budget even allowing for collection from Germany. 

Any opinions on the sound?  I guess the chances of getting JBL 43XX or Altec 19's are slim for £2k?

I only had a fairly short listen to a pair but they were very impressive. I found them to be dynamic  but not harsh.They do only go down to 50hz though, despite having a 15" cone, so may not meet your requirements.Other members on here have said very good things about them, too. I'm sure you'll find plenty of reviews online. 

Edited by Gizza

It seems www,quoake.de is for the Germans only.  I tried to register but because of my UK internet provider they will not allow me on to that platform.  I'm still looking...