CD Player around 2K recommendations

So I'm not sure if I would buy one even if it was extremely cheap, for me CD players are finished.

I said that, but when I was offered an early Meridian 508 and could pretty much name my price, I couldn't refuse

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't personally buy a CDP for £2k nowadays, far better spent on a DAC or maybe a streamer  As someone said, cd is just a medium for digital data. If you rip to FLAC you aren't losing anythi

Wow, I thought I was looking at a picture of my kit. Recently acquired a sexy Primare i35. I had the Marantz cd52ii for many years and it saw off many other CD players over the years including Ro

This. Spend it on a better dac and streamer, rip your Cd's to a hard drive and stream them. Buy a cheapish cd player/transport if you really need one.

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, kernow said:

I wouldn't personally buy a CDP for £2k nowadays, far better spent on a DAC or maybe a streamer 

As someone said, cd is just a medium for digital data. If you rip to FLAC you aren't losing anything, despite what less technical people might say. 

This. Spend it on a better dac and streamer, rip your Cd's to a hard drive and stream them. Buy a cheapish cd player/transport if you really need one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I said that, but when I was offered an early Meridian 508 and could pretty much name my price, I couldn't refuse emoji16.png

I know its hard to resist. Thats a beautiful player I had a friend with one decades ago. Long in the tooth now though, but still if it still working great. A few times I've seen some stunning players selling at low prices but I'd never use them really, its all files now for me.  

I know its hard to resist. Thats a beautiful player I had a friend with one decades ago. Long in the tooth now though, but still if it still working great. A few times I've seen some stunning players selling at low prices but I'd never use them really, its all files now for me.  
True it's been boxed up since I flicked through one album to make sure it works

But then that's because I haven't got my CDs here, when I get the chance to take it up north I'll sure it will get some "retro" play time.

Sold my Audio Research CD8 recently. A very good player but given the lack of spare mechs for these I would be nervous about buying one S/H. I also found that I could get an equally satisfying sound from a CD transport and a modern DAC. 

Lack of serviceability and parts is sadly the final nail in the coffin of CD. Wonder how long the few left like Marantz, Teac will produce CD mechanisms. 

I remember a good while back looking inside a lot of high end cd players and seeing a standard IDE drive as the transport. 

• Upvote 2

Although this is now discontinued , Yamaha CD-S2100 is a very good player and I find the DAC very good using the Optical and Coax inputs. (I have not used the USB yet)

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/cd-s2100/index.html

F4E765D1582E4B1B830E0862B53EE00B_12075_501bf2e695738f8ccc31037ba3e3c22d.jpg?impolicy=resize&imwid=3654&imhei=3021?imbypass=on

55 minutes ago, kernow said:

I remember a good while back looking inside a lot of high end cd players and seeing a standard IDE drive as the transport. 

thats right, quite a few actually! resolution audio opus 21, Nain DVD5 both 3 grand players (around I think) both used a teac drive, could buy those drives for around a tenner once. But there was many more. And nothing wrong with that, it did the job of getting the 0s and 1s off, those players are all about the DACs and implementation anyway.

Edited by eddie-baby

Even Wadia used them in the end 

Buying a cd player nowadays isn't a good idea, you're getting 30% of the overall cost dedicated to the DAC at most and the rest for the delivery.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A.S. said:

Lack of serviceability and parts is sadly the final nail in the coffin of CD. Wonder how long the few left like Marantz, Teac will produce CD mechanisms. 

Marantz seem prolific  , 2 or 3 new models in the last year alone. Must be a big demand , in fact there is a shortage of the 6007 at the moment in some dealers 

On 11/03/2021 at 22:59, hifinutt said:

Marantz seem prolific  , 2 or 3 new models in the last year alone. Must be a big demand , in fact there is a shortage of the 6007 at the moment in some dealers 

Indeed they have always flown the CD flag for me, as my very first player was a Marantz CD63b, the black finished and slightly superior (to my ears) version of the original Philips top loading CD player.  I could even select a single track, something impossible on my much newer and more expensive Marantz SACD player. 

In the mid-1990s I bought another Marantz CD player with which I’ve been renewing my acquaintance over the last day or two.  It’s been unused for several years at my father’s home.  I’ve given it a good clean (externally) and reconnected it to my Primare, to test out some even older KEF Coda II speakers from the early 1980s. Frankly it works brilliantly, with super quick read, load and eject, plus a display I can actually read from across the room, unlike my SA-14.

Re the OP’s enquiry, I’d second the suggestion above for the energetic and exciting Roksan Caspian II, although mechanically i found it a bit ‘rattly’ sounding if you like a super slick drawer action. But with so many Marantz models, especially those with SACD capabilities, I’d definitely look at one of those.  The new Series 30 has a streamer as well for £2700, so I’d be getting that 0% credit card out!  

Here is a pic of the 1993 Marantz CD-52 mark II SE. (They rarely used snappy names).

9E4EA310-9C3D-4FF2-8C65-8FD0F164D77F.jpeg

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Indeed they have always flown the CD flag for me, as my very first player was a Marantz CD63b, the black finished and slightly superior (to my ears) version of the original Philips top loading CD player.  I could even select a single track, something impossible on my much newer and more expensive Marantz SACD player. 

In the mid-1990s I bought another Marantz CD player with which I’ve been renewing my acquaintance over the last day or two.  It’s been unused for several years at my father’s home.  I’ve given it a good clean (externally) and reconnected it to my Primare, to test out some even older KEF Coda II speakers from the early 1980s. Frankly it works brilliantly, with super quick read, load and eject, plus a display I can actually read from across the room, unlike my SA-14.

Re the OP’s enquiry, I’d second the suggestion above for the energetic and exciting Roksan Caspian II, although mechanically i found it a bit ‘rattly’ sounding if you like a super slick drawer action. But with so many Marantz models, especially those with SACD capabilities, I’d definitely look at one of those.  The new Series 30 has a streamer as well for £2700, so I’d be getting that 0% credit card out!  

Here is a pic of the 1993 Marantz CD-52 mark II SE. (They rarely used snappy names).

9E4EA310-9C3D-4FF2-8C65-8FD0F164D77F.jpeg

Wow, I thought I was looking at a picture of my kit. Recently acquired a sexy Primare i35.

I had the Marantz cd52ii for many years and it saw off many other CD players over the years including Roksan Kandy K2, an Arcam and the Roksan Caspian M2 (the M2 only just). I have only recently bettered it with a Marantz Sa14 S1 SE. I have a couple of cd52ii's still in reserve ... fantastic cd player with rich vinyl like sound quality. The SA14 (only just) edges it on detail and focus.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1