'I've been listening to 300 vinyl records to get me through lockdown' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-56187737

What a way to go though lockdown! :D

• Like 6

On 07/03/2021 at 06:36, kelly200269 said:

'I've been listening to 300 vinyl records to get me through lockdown' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-56187737

What a way to go though lockdown! :D

That is pretty cool!  I like the idea of listening to them roughly chronologically.  However, I see a couple of problems in emulating her.  First is rearranging my over 2000 albums in rough chronological order and second is listening to that many!  How long is the lockdown supposed to last?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

How long is the lockdown supposed to last?

Better get rearranging!! :nerves:

• Haha 2

I've been systematically working through my record collection since COVID started. Alphabetically by artist and then chronologically within an artist. Currently on the M's so a long way to go!. Not many "surprises" so far in terms of albums being like I remembered, but definitely fun adding my wife's LP collection into the mix. The one tangible outcome so far is discovering how much I like David Bowie's later work ("1. Outside" onwards) and I've have been steadily filling in the gaps in my collection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teuchter85 said:

I've have been steadily filling in the gaps in my collection.

Sounds like my record cleaning initiative - it crawls forwards slowly, hampered by the rate of addition - which of course I want to on purchase and therefore they get  bumped up the cleaning queue! I have regular cleaning sessions but have been only half way through for years!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, teuchter85 said:

Alphabetically by artist and then chronologically within an artist.

This is how I've always arranged my collection (about 2000 LPs) with the addendum that I separately organize by 2 genres; jazz and everything else.  Anyone do it differently?

• Upvote 1

In a similar vein, I have used this time to listen to one new album (sorry, not LP) every morning; whether from my collection, via Primephonic or Tidal.

1 hour ago, Eldarboy said:

In a similar vein, I have used this time to listen to one new album (sorry, not LP) every morning; whether from my collection, via Primephonic or Tidal.

That’s a nice idea as it’s easy to get in a rut and go back to old favourites. I like to check out what people are listening to on this forum and Naim’s and try something from there. Not every day ‘tho.

’troll

15 hours ago, Jazz Kisaten said:

This is how I've always arranged my collection (about 2000 LPs) with the addendum that I separately organize by 2 genres; jazz and everything else.  Anyone do it differently?

Same here, except three categories; Rock/pop/etc, classical/baroque/etc, and soundtracks/compilations (multiple artists).

This thread reminded me of an experience I've been having lately. Going back and listening to albums I haven't listened to in a while, there are some tracks that I wasn't too fond of, so I tended to not listen to them, or just not enjoy them so much. Well now that my hifi sounds better, I'm seeking out those tracks, and really enjoying them. I hadn't grown tired of them, so they are doubly enjoyable.

Edited by akamatsu

3 hours ago, akamatsu said:
19 hours ago, Jazz Kisaten said:

Same here, except three categories; Rock/pop/etc, classical/baroque/etc, and soundtracks/compilations (multiple artists).

I also do by artist and then chronologically but broken down into several more genres.  These are Rock/Pop, Jazz, Blues, R&B, Folk/Country, Progressive, Alternative, Electronic, World music, all the varieties of classical, comedy, a section for records I have bought over the last several years that I haven't listened to yet, and a section for Christmas music.  I don't have that much Christmas music but I decided I needed a special place for it after searching for where the heck I put my Peanuts Christmas album several years in a row.  Unlike most computer listings I sort individual artists by last name, so Paul Simon is under S.  Classical compilations become frustrating.  Classical I file by composer and piece.  I group ones with several artists in one section but ones with two or three under the composer with top billing.  I did end up grouping all the other compilations together, just for the heck of it.

5 hours ago, akamatsu said:

This tread reminded me of an experience I've been having lately. Going back and listening to albums I haven't listened to in a while, there are some tracks that I wasn't too fond of, so I tended to not listen to them, or just not enjoy them so much. Well now that my hifi sounds better, I'm seeking out those tracks, and really enjoying them. I hadn't grown tired of them, so they are doubly enjoyable.

I have found that as the system gets better you often find that tracks you used to think were boring suddenly become enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

I also do by artist and then chronologically but broken down into several more genres.  These are Rock/Pop, Jazz, Blues, R&B, Folk/Country, Progressive, Alternative, Electronic, World music, all the varieties of classical, comedy, a section for records I have bought over the last several years that I haven't listened to yet, and a section for Christmas music.  I don't have that much Christmas music but I decided I needed a special place for it after searching for where the heck I put my Peanuts Christmas album several years in a row.  Unlike most computer listings I sort individual artists by last name, so Paul Simon is under S.  Classical compilations become frustrating.  Classical I file by composer and piece.  I group ones with several artists in one section but ones with two or three under the composer with top billing.  I did end up grouping all the other compilations together, just for the heck of it.

Similar here, Genre - Artist - Chronological broken down by rock/pop, classical, jazz/blues, miscellany. There are occasional issues with this, e.g. where does one file Eric Clapton?

I'd say rock/pop works well enough overall.