45 minutes ago, StellanH said:

I listen almost exclusively to rock/pop/synth and I arrange my vinyl records chronologically. It can be tough to remember which year artist X did the record Y, but I want to cover records made from when I was born (1964) to present. There is a huge bump in number of records at the year 1981. A truly golden year for music in my taste. :)

Hihi... your 1981 is my 1984. So you are 3 years older than me :)

And then I found out you're not. You're from 64, I'm from 70. Hmmm... there goes my theory... 

This whole thread has made me want to use my lp12 more, so it is up for revision as of today. New karousel incoming!!

Edited by dikki
  • Like 1

My music interest started when I attended high school because all my class-mates constantly discussed which records to buy. Also we had a record store (the "famous" Bengans in Gothenburg, Sweden) nearby school. Almost every lunch break was spent in the store, which could be expensive. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, StellanH said:

My music interest started when I attended high school because all my class-mates constantly discussed which records to buy. Also we had a record store (the "famous" Bengans in Gothenburg, Sweden) nearby school. Almost every lunch break was spent in the store, which could be expensive. 

I remember those days, back in high school, when I knew what music people liked, but had no idea what there stereo systems consisted of. Now, it seems the opposite is true.

• Haha 1

On 13/03/2021 at 14:55, Dasher said:

I've been shamed by this thread into getting more of the archives I'm in front of the curve for this week - washed 37, bought 2! Fortunately I'm not in the 4000+ category (although probably halfway there - cant say that I've actually counted (that would be even of a chore than washing them).

Counting isn't all that hard as long as you don't mind approximating (which I note is what everybody up here is doing).  You can basically figure about 75 single records per linear foot of shelf space.  Obviously you have to figure gatefolds, box sets, etc. taking more space, but it should at least get you close.

• Upvote 1

When I was very young and very proud of my first few records and tapes, I put all the names of records I had in a filing system. On paper. I scribbled the numbers from the filing system in the vinyl of the record and on the inner sleeve. 

Later I put the filing system to one of the first database systems on a computer. I still do that, 40 years later. 

That means that I can easily find out how many records I own, but I can also order the titles in any way I like. I have stored them in numbering order, which essentially mean they are in order of acquisition. 

Most of my music is classical however, and ordering that in any meaningful way can be quite a chore. 

• Like 2