Balancing tone arm help please!

Hi all,

recently bought my wife an Audio Technica LP2X for my wife and can't seem to balance the tone arm.

We've followed instructions and video, see below, but can't get it to hover above the platter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-AUTY6O650

does this mean it's faulty or are we doing something wrong?

Mac

Have a check with this video and try again ..  yzero baou should be able to adjust the counterweight on the rear of the arm outwards until the arm hovers (zero balance) and then dial up the desired weight.

20 minutes ago, whitehart said:

Thanks Uzzy, but when I turn the weight the arm doesn't move upwards at all.

Mac

Moving it back towards the end of the arm?  pull gently as you turn the weight It may be stuck .. it works on friction and may be faulty - also get a stylus weight gauge to check what you dial up as the weight is correct .. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LED-Cartridge-Stylus-Tracking-Force-Scale-Gauge-0-01g-For-Phono-Set-UK/294036513436?hash=item4475f1229c:g:8o0AAOSwyd1gOnkb  or a manual one like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-Mechanical-Stylus-Force-Gauge-Scales-Cartridge-Alignment/224373400783?hash=item343db264cf:g:QLYAAOSwRihgQKum  (they cost about a tenner full price) 

• Like 1

Looking from the front of the arm, Dialling the whole of the weight ( not just turning the scale bit) clockwise should be moving the weight rearwards. Maybe make a pencil mark on the arm tube or a piece of tape etc close to the weight so that you can confirm that when you rotate the weight, it is indeed moving relative to the mark you made. 
Think of the arm as a simple seesaw/ lever. The further you move the weight rearwards, away from the cart, the more the cart will start to move upwards. Or “should”, assuming there’s not a techy fault.

No insult intended, but have you still got the arm rest clip hooked over the arm & have you got the cue lever down? Can you manipulate the arm up/ down & across towards the spindle & back again freely,  or does it feel sticky & tight?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can you post a couple of pics of the arm in total and the position of the counterweight?

Has the counterweight been screwed into the arm properly?

Thanks guys for the replies.

Pics are a bit tricky as I'm blind, but if necessary see if my wife can take one.

The arm does move freely, but will try the things suggested.

Mac

Hi Mac, some great tips above, and I also wonder if the counterweight is actually engaged with the thread along which it screws. It’s obvious once you’ve done it, but until it engages nothing will happen. 

Caution definitely required until you’re sure it’s engaged because - as the video says - you don’t want the arm to skid across the platter mat with the stylus guard off.  

Hoping you’ll soon be sorted. 

Best wishes, Nick

Keep the stylus guard ON until you’ve got the movement issue sussed. Only expose the stylus when you have to for the balancing bit. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys, cracked it! the tip on pulling back on the weight whilst turning it seemed to do the trick.

All up and working, Mrs Mac is very happy.

Thanks again, what would I do without you all.

Mac

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Fergus said:

I always find this just takes loads of patience!

Sadly not my greatest virtue

Mac

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, whitehart said:

Sadly not my greatest virtue

Mac

Understandable Mr Mac. I’m sure your re inventing vinyl with your good lady 👍🏻