Hi 

I have been enjoying my current setup of MDSM (without exact) and M140 speakers for years. Now I find its time to upgrade. My original thought was to exchange to a ADSM hub with 530 speakers but I find that to far out in future budget wise. In stead I have got an option to purchase a set of 320a and klimax ds renew with dynamik. I'm fully aware of the upgrade possibilities of that setup. My considerations are if I instead should go for an adsm hub and a exaktbox-I to exakt+katalyst my current set or would you rather go for the 320a? The exaktbox solution would also allow to exchange the M140 speakers with passive akudoriks which could be exakt'ed by the same setup. Price are almost the same for these two options. I could perfectly live with the upgrade limitations on the 320A setup if the sound is as good as I expect - I have a scheduled listening session but not been there yet. Any inputs on the sound from 320a (are there any sound wise reason why these was discontinued?)? and also on the exakted and katalyst'ed M140 - would I be disappointed by that option once mind and ears are set on better systems?

In the end my ears will make the selection but I always find very inspirational to get feedback and suggestions from others with experience. 

Interesting choices.... I would say that it comes down to if you're going to go the analogue route with 320s and a good source (Renew DS) or if you want to have the possibility to go with Exakt somewhere in the future?

I have gone the long road with my 140s - from passive, passive triamping, aktiv and then exakt with a Exaktbox-i. And finally with Katalyst....

Biggest step was going exakt and Katalyst (or maybe in the other order)...

There are a few here who have changed their M140s for akudoriks...

One option would be to wait until 26.03, after which the second-hand market may become interesting.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Ahultin said:

Interesting choices.... I would say that it comes down to if you're going to go the analogue route with 320s and a good source (Renew DS) or if you want to have the possibility to go with Exakt somewhere in the future?

I have gone the long road with my 140s - from passive, passive triamping, aktiv and then exakt with a Exaktbox-i. And finally with Katalyst....

Biggest step was going exakt and Katalyst (or maybe in the other order)...

There are a few here who have changed their M140s for akudoriks...

Exakt could be a wish but not ultimate demand  -depending on the quality of the 320a. i know Exakt is not directly possible on the 320A. or at least not a feasible path for me. 

In the future the 320a could be "degraded" to second system and a new system, (530 or akudorik) could be primare system.

My qustions was more directed towards what the sound/music quality are with the 320A - upgrades for 320A could of course be to exchange renew with katalyst based dsm. how far would that take the system? would it still lack quality due to missing exakt?

Edited by GertK
49 minutes ago, Johannes said:

One option would be to wait until 26.03, after which the second-hand market may become interesting.

thanks for the advise!

The 320a’s were on my radar as well as someone I know has a pair that he was selling for very little money. I decided to stay away from the stand mounts due to the possibile lack of bass compared to a floor stander.

I finally opted for a pair of used 242’s for a little less than the price of the 320’s. I have not experienced exakt and don’t know if I will ever go down that route but a safer suggestion would be to upgrade source and get an exaktbox-I if you know your end goal does not exceed a four way speaker.

My source upgrade was the last to happen and that’s not the smartest way to do it.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

3 minutes ago, zee9 said:

The 320a’s were on my radar as well as someone I know has a pair that he was selling for very little money. I decided to stay away from the stand mounts due to the possibile lack of bass compared to a floor stander.

I finally opted for a pair of used 242’s for a little less than the price of the 320’s. I have not experienced exakt and don’t know if I will ever go down that route but a safer suggestion would be to upgrade source and get an exaktbox-I if you know your end goal does not exceed a four way speaker.

My source upgrade was the last to happen and that’s not the smartest way to do it.

hi 

thanks for the inputs. I bass is not an issue would you then opt for the 320a instead of the 242's? the room is not that big (app 5mx5m). if i find to lack bass then a 345 could be considered.

@igoroy has a lovely looking system based on 320As shown in the show us your system thread.  May be worth asking him about them. 

regards

nige

hi 
thanks for the inputs. I bass is not an issue would you then opt for the 320a instead of the 242's? the room is not that big (app 5mx5m). if i find to lack bass then a 345 could be considered.

I haven’t heard them so hard to say. I have heard akudoriks and was very highly impressed by them. I will tell you that moving up the ladder (3k array speakers) the source becomes very very important. So my suggestion would be to concentrate first on the best source you can afford.

• Like 1

I have heard the Klimax 320’s and really like their sound quality. They should sound wonderful with a Klimax Renew DS. I wish Linn still offered the Klimax 320’s, but as a passive version or an Exakted version. Bass is not an issue with the 320’s, as they do a fine job making low frequencies. The biggest potential issue is getting repairs for the Aktiv modules, if something happens to them in the future, 

‘I own a pair of passive Akudoriks driven by an Akurate Exaktbox I, for my surround speakers. They are superb 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I have heard the Klimax 320’s and really like their sound quality. They should sound wonderful with a Klimax Renew DS. I wish Linn still offered the Klimax 320’s, but as a passive version or an Exakted version. Bass is not an issue with the 320’s, as they do a fine job making low frequencies. The biggest potential issue is getting repairs for the Aktiv modules, if something happens to them in the future, 

‘I own a pair of passive Akudoriks driven by an Akurate Exaktbox I, for my surround speakers. They are superb 

Does Linn not support repairs for the aktiv modules? should i be worried on this?

7 hours ago, GertK said:

Does Linn not support repairs for the aktiv modules? should i be worried on this?

Linn components are usually very reliable, and built to last for decades

I have not heard of any failures of the Activ modules

‘The Klimax 320’s are an older design, that may or may not still be supported. I would check with the Linn Helpline to confirm with Linn

I have had 3 different amplification modules on my Akubariks, and they have been excellent. My Akubariks started out as Aktiv, then I upgraded to Exakt, and now they are Katalyst.

On 09/03/2021 at 15:45, Paulssurround said:

Linn components are usually very reliable, and built to last for decades

I have not heard of any failures of the Activ modules

‘The Klimax 320’s are an older design, that may or may not still be supported. I would check with the Linn Helpline to confirm with Linn

I have had 3 different amplification modules on my Akubariks, and they have been excellent. My Akubariks started out as Aktiv, then I upgraded to Exakt, and now they are Katalyst.

Hi thanks for the hint. I got the following answer from Linn support: "the Artikualt 320a loudspeakers have been end of service life since February 2019 meaning that we are not able to offer any repairs to these speakers should the need arise". This put another light on the possible purchase - my thoughts are mostly on the risk of the modules faling. what to do then?

• Like 1

You could always bypass the 320A amp module and run them with an Exaktbox and custom Exakt.Design filters. Sunbeamgls may already have some?

’troll

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

You could always bypass the 320A amp module and run them with an Exaktbox and custom Exakt.Design filters. Sunbeamgls may already have some?

’troll

i guess that could be a backup option. thanks