Hillman Avenger 1300DL, 1975 

pic borrowed from retrowow.co.uk

994872889_IMG-3426(1).thumb.jpg.8521d7f6935292355fdb64811a9769cb.jpg

There have been a few in between but the Disco is staying until the end!

Edited by ClassikFan
  • Like 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First Car - 1971 Holden Kingswood V8 Current Car - 1969 Hillman Hunter Safari Wagon

1967 Singer Chamois 875cc (not actual car but same colour) Two - 2000 BMW Z3 2L and 2013 Mercedes E-Class 350 Coupe

Wow, a bubble car! I'd love to have gone in one of them. I've always had a thing for odd little cars, my favourite car I've ever owned was a 2 CV.  My dad had one of these Bond Three Wheelers.

Posted Images

On 10/04/2021 at 15:42, Gaffer said:

Impressive having a Tivver as a first car :):^, must've been a hoot.

Mine's been quite reliable (apart from clutch when I first bought it)... The BM is my frugal "daily driver".

Your current car, a ssangyong if my badge spotting skills are correct? (don't see many of those around).

The Vixen was the sort of car you worked on all week, drove it at weekend, then worked on all week again.

As an 18 yr old mechanic it was a labour of love, even managed to bag a tour round the factory in Blackpool, when I picked up an exhaust manifold there. Really old school manufacturing, fibreglass bodyshells on trestles all round the yard.

And yes you are correct it is a Ssangyong. I've towed for many years, using lots of different cars, this ones the best

The only way you know you've got something on the back is the mpg.

2.2 diesel auto, pulls like a train

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 30/03/2021 at 12:08, Beobloke said:

First car - 1985 Vauxhall Nova 1.2 just like this but in beautiful hearing aid beige! I loved that car...

dae3dd6cd2364a4152194bec215b74b1.jpg

Current car - Range Rover L322 Vogue SE 4.2V8 Supercharged

ee82d34c380e509310df115818b29cca.jpg

Just a little update.

I still have the RR but added a new car to the stable last weekend. It's a weekend plaything, it came from some of the money I inherited when my mum died recently and it was made in the town where she was born and raised!

LM400_1s.jpg

Edited by Beobloke
  • Like 3

Nice Marcos! My favourite was the Mantis but mainly as I had a Corgi version as a nipper, they are a bit weird in the flesh...

What engine has yours, a Rover V8?

First car was a knackered white Vauxhall Viva HB (not this one) when driving in the dark it was necessary to hold the flash lever on all the time to put enough light on the road to see anything, the timing chain broke just after having got me from near Glasgow to home in Dorset so got scrapped before returning to College.

Current car is a Discovery Sport mainly for the drive to our holiday home in the Charente France but late last year I found this retirement present to myself a Porsche 997.2 Black Edition, I've only covered a tank and a half worth of local miles as yet for obvious reasons.

Viva HB.jpg

DSCF9904.jpg

• Like 2
On 13/04/2021 at 22:19, cwarchc said:

And yes you are correct it is a Ssangyong. I've towed for many years, using lots of different cars, this ones the best

The only way you know you've got something on the back is the mpg.

2.2 diesel auto, pulls like a train

Doesn't Ssangyong use Mercedes diesel engines, they certainly did when they first appeared on the market.

1 hour ago, Beobloke said:

Just a little update.

I still have the RR but added a new car to the stable last weekend. It's a weekend plaything, it came from some of the money I inherited when my mum died recently and it was made in the town where she was born and raised!

LM400_1s.jpg

ooh nice Marcos. Lm500?

ooh nice Marcos. Lm500?

Close! LM400. The sensible, economy model...

:)
  • Like 1
Nice Marcos! My favourite was the Mantis but mainly as I had a Corgi version as a nipper, they are a bit weird in the flesh...
What engine has yours, a Rover V8?

Yes, it’s the 3.9 V8 in standard 190bhp tune.

I’ve lusted after a Marcos for many years. My mum was born and grew up in Westbury, where they were made. She loved the place until the day she died, and her cousins lived there all their lives. We were regular visitors throughout my life as they were the closest thing I had to an aunt and uncle as both my mum and dad were only children.

In 1993 or thereabouts, when I was 19, mum’s cousin mentioned that a friend of hers worked for Marcos and would I like a look round the factory? I didn’t have to be asked twice and so was shown round the two Nissen huts on the West Wilts Trading Estate on a Saturday morning, followed by a blast round the B-roads of Wiltshire beside the company’s Sales Director in a brand new Mantara. As I got out afterwards wearing one of the biggest grins I’ve ever had, I vowed then and there that I would own one, one day.

Consequently, when mum died last year, it seemed obvious that I had to divert some of my inheritance towards one, and this is it! The LM was a bit of a surprise - I’d never really considered one as they are so rare and are always dearer than the Mantaras when they do crop up, but I test drove it and was hooked.

Obviously I’m sad that mum never got to see it but I like to think she would approve, albeit in a “my god, you’ll kill yourself in that” kind of way! A couple of our closest so-called ‘friends’ are already taking bets on which tree along the road down to the local village I’ll wrap it round first…
  • Like 3

I got my test at 32 back in 2010 (was living in London). First car was a Passat estate beater.

I currently have this M4 competition and a Skoda Yeti 4x4.

I'll be changing both next year to an etron for the kids and a 991 997.1 for me.

M4 is easily better and a lot more fun that the 2013 E63 estate that I used to have. Stunning car, very aggressive to drive and look at!

IMG_20200914_153835_resize_74.jpg

IMG_20200914_153823_resize_56.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 13:55, Ward said:

Doesn't Ssangyong use Mercedes diesel engines, they certainly did when they first appeared on the market.

The early ones did

They now use their own design, they have come on in design over the last few years

Much more efficient, still a little agricultural/

But decent power, over 170 bhp, nice low down torque= good tow car

A friend of mine was tasked by her husband to go pick a car. Off she went to some dealership Blackburn way I think and she couldn't make her mind up between a Subaru Forester and this big ungainly looking Ssanyong thing which was built like a brick shithouse. She knew her hubby would have preferred the Ssanyong diesel due to the mileage he had to cover and the high up driving position. The salesman treated her like the little lady and was quite condescending. She was bloody livid and walked out. Her husband wasn't best pleased at this and returned to the dealers with her, demanded to see another salesman as the rude one was all over them when he saw who it was. As they sat down with the other salesman he said we'll have both. The salesman spluttered and said what about payment, details etc. He said the wife deals with all that, got up and walked off leaving Bev to sort the detail out.