Advice for a Preamp/DAC please...

4 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

They are a twisted pair configuration as opposed to most microphone cables which are star quad. So whilst microphone cables ‘will do fine’, to my ears they do not sound as good as twisted pair.

After hearing the differences in an RCA interconnect cable, which I have scoffed at for years, I'm open to anything.

Edited by ChemMan
  • Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad!?!?

The only audio truth that matters is your own, everyone else with an opinion on the matter can go whistle dixie. Your money, your ears, your personal nirvana. 

Please stop worrying about this sort of guff when you haven't even got your speakers yet. You'll be buying cable lifters for Christmas at this rate.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

That's hard to say.  They sounded really, really good.  He's got a cement floor in there and even listening.  well behind the "sweet spot" the bass is so tight it makes me wonder why I choose the Spendors. (I have a wife that hates the look of the ATC grills and we need them with small humans running around).

It really is a room dependent thing.  The Spendor bass sounded ever so slightly tighter in this room. So now that I know a lot more about positioning, coupling or not...........maybe

If I had an easy way, to get the perfect room and to unload everything I have now and get the ATC actives, in black ash, I'd do it. Even though they are not the last word at low volumes they are no worse than the current set up. To be completely transparent, pun intended, while it is a nice improvement to my current setup it is not night and day. And I have no idea how it would play in this room.

The Hegel 390 and passive SCM40 is a brilliant match and a one box solution with Hegel's UPNP. This would be €10-11K plus speaker cables.

The Actives with the NAD for instance, is a one box solution at about the same price, but the cables are important and more expensive. You'd need two XLR to XLR at 2m plus two power cords unless ATC supplies all of this.

Yes, my question assumed that the system would not be compromised by the room....which would also bring the Ref 1s into play.

As for cables....welcome to the "Quite (quite) Mad" Club.

Anyway, I won't pull this thread further off course.

13 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Anyway, I won't pull this thread further off course.

So to keep it on course, I'd say the ATC SCM40a is a great sounding speaker/amp which will  range from sounding very good to exceptional depending on the front end, but I suppose you could say this about any amp speaker combo.

I would advise the OP @BananaPlug  to decide on a one, two or three box solution (It might have moved from a 1/2 in 47 pages) If the budget is still 5k:

He gets a 1 box with a Hugo TT or an Altair G1 under budget.

He gets a two box with a preamp and streamer DAC, but most streamer/DACs already can function as pre-amps so it seems redundant.

He gets a 3 box with a Node2 (he has) a Qutest £1.5k and then has £3.5k for a valve preamp. 

• Like 1

"You ain't no punk, you punk,   You wanna talk about the real junk?   If ever I said (beep) I'd be banned,   Cause I'm the garbage man".   *Lux Interior (hifi enthusiast).  .....What?    Enjoy the wknd gents !  :pint:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, garn63 said:

"You ain't no punk, you punk,   You wanna talk about the real junk?   If ever I said (beep) I'd be banned,   Cause I'm the garbage man".   *Lux Interior (hifi enthusiast).  .....What?    Enjoy the wknd gents !  :pint:

Man, that comment is 'off the bone'..

• Upvote 1

This isnt the best of recordings BUT the spirit conveyed is right up there.  Spirit b4 hifi sometimes eh xD

R-10017383-1491919963-8661.jpeg.jpg

4 minutes ago, garn63 said:

This isnt the best of recordings BUT the spirit conveyed is right up there.  Spirit b4 hifi sometimes eh xD

I bought it the week it came out. Complete with 3D glasses...

• Haha 1

How did we end up wearing Rose tinted ones ? 

There is a live concert (onyutube) with a guy dancing like a zombie...and he totally gets it. Its brilliant.

Edited by garn63
26 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Can you find "A new kind of kick" & perhaps post it ?  For all the good people on the WAM :)

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Thought they fixed the site..mmmmmm

Edited by garn63
Double post..hamster serves.
4 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

So whilst microphone cables ‘will do fine’, to my ears they do not sound as good as twisted pair. I find the star quad microphone cables to sound artificially bright in comparison. 

When I say "adequate" or "will do fine", this is code for "almost certainly can't be improved upon". Nobody has heard every cable, but there should at least be some sort of technical explanation for using fancy ones, IMO.

I wonder what ATC themselves recommend these days, but 20 years ago, when I started out on my "ATC fanboy" stage of life (it's persistent) it was mic cable. I would always take ATC's advice, they are super-helpful on the phone.

Do recording studios lash out on boutique cables? I rather doubt it.

i heard a interesting comment from a recording studio engineer who said that the main reason they don't use posh cables is that they would have a tendancy to get nicked !

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mtbmarkymark said:

i heard a interesting comment from a recording studio engineer who said that the main reason they don't use posh cables is that they would have a tendancy to get nicked !

Yes, and with the lengths involved in a studio, it's the sort of thing that could get out of budget pretty quickly!

1 hour ago, Blzebub said:

I wonder what ATC themselves recommend these days...

When Martin Colloms reviewed the SCM50ASL in Hifi Critic a few years ago, he said that ATC provided Belden 8760.  He preferred Chord Sarum T at about half the price of the speakers!