Advice for a Preamp/DAC please...

11 minutes ago, DomT said:

Well I don't think that BMW should be described as ignorants.  There are plenty of car and hifi manufacturers who have greater expertise than others and there are always things to learn - otherwise all hifi and cars would have the same competence would they not?

I didn't say that BMW are ignorants. No, it is us who are the gullible ignorants.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dad!?!?

The only audio truth that matters is your own, everyone else with an opinion on the matter can go whistle dixie. Your money, your ears, your personal nirvana. 

Please stop worrying about this sort of guff when you haven't even got your speakers yet. You'll be buying cable lifters for Christmas at this rate.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, zeta4 said:

Its quite common for in service experience to throw unforseen problems hence the recalls to fix them. Im sure Toyota themselves will have had similar issues. My E46 M3 had a conrod bearing shell recall (with different stretch bolts) early in its life. They designed the bolts to have a particular stretch so the conrod halves are remain clamped under rotational stresses. If they didnt know about bolts why does the service bulletin contain a very complex tightening procedure for them.

Im sure BMW know all about bolts. I expect this comment was taken out of context.

Makes a change from cables though !

No it was an interview with Toyota describing whether they just accepted the BMW engine or had input into it's spec.  But I can't find the video right now.  But feel free to find it yourself if you think that I am misquoting.  I have been a happy BMW owner for the past 10 years.

1 minute ago, tuga said:

All commercial equipment can be improved, as long as the person modding it knows what he/she's doing.

Keeping with the car analogy, think about AMG, Ruf, Alpina, or how an ordinary Subaru WRC road car becomes a ruthless rally supercar.

Naim bandwidth-limit their preamps to around 40kHz because of some sort of issue with Naim power amps. This apparently introduces phase incoherence at the top end, which is why imaging with Naim amps is vague at best. Naim also refused to "DR" my Olive series Supercap (PS), whilst being happy to "DR" the series which came after after Olive. Naim have also got some weird earthing arrangement, leaving them having to route the signal through the Supercap itself, whilst advising users to install the PS as far as possible from the "delicate audio signal" in the head unit!

James did extensive surgery on the head unit to extend the bandwidth out to some large number which I can't remember, DR-ed the Supercap, and routed the signal out of the head unit instead of through the Supercap.

I have imaging, along with the glowing green logos. The improvement was almost embarrassing.

• Upvote 2

that particular toyota supra was a collaboration to a degree between the two car manufacturers so whilst working together a few new things were discovered from the car makers about how they did things. They did this to a certain point as the German motor industry by-law are only allowed to share upto a certain portion of their technology/production inside secrets⚙️

31 minutes ago, zeta4 said:

Its quite common for in service experience to throw unforseen problems hence the recalls to fix them. Im sure Toyota themselves will have had similar issues. My E46 M3 had a conrod bearing shell recall (with different stretch bolts) early in its life. They designed the bolts to have a particular stretch so the conrod halves are remain clamped under rotational stresses. If they didnt know about bolts why does the service bulletin contain a very complex tightening procedure for them.

Im sure BMW know all about bolts. I expect this comment was taken out of context.

Makes a change from cables though !

Speaking of recall's, I've just received an email from Sainsbury's telling me not to eat the dates that usually buy which they've apparently known to be infected with Hepatitis A since December.

We must have had a few boxes this year...

What should a customer do if they have consumed the dates?

A very small number of packs may have been contaminated, if a customer becomes ill with symptoms typical of Hepatitis A they should consult their GP. :wall:
  • Sad 2
50 minutes ago, tuga said:

All things matter, it's how much they matter that differs from one thing to another.

I can see lighter bolts having an impact in an F1 lap time, less so if we are dealing with a Z4. Tire pressure will have a larger impact though.

Was it about weight? My E92 M3 engine wishes BMW had paid more attention to the parts. Performance over time counts more on a road car than on a F1 car, so there's no sense in a comparison.

Cars are probably not the best analogy as they are built to meet far more regulatory requirements than a power cable. BMW engineers would lower their cars and use spacers to improve handling as the setup from the factory had other factors to consider than just performance.

There's a reason they use the Nurburgring for lap times - it's such a long lap that it's the best chance of showing a faster lap time that appears meaningful. When money is no object then the weight of every single part becomes important and people will pay for that attention to detail (even when they are not going to exploit the full potential of the vehicle).

Perhaps the Z4 is the competent system you have mentioned. Many people want the F1 system.

• Upvote 1

if you look at the nurburgring crashes of today or lose of control around 85%+ are bmw.... its quite funny.. Driver error.... or car 😂😂🤣🤣

Edited by 2010*zuma
4 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

if you look at the nurburgring crashes of today or lose of control around 85%+ are bmw.... its quite funny.. Driver error.... or car 😂😂🤣🤣

Maybe it's just BMW drivers... :rofl:

It's odd - despite years of building cars, BMW indicators still don't seem to work. :?

Edited by Griff500
  • Haha 1

I don't know the name of the particular part of the track but it's a fast approaching chicane that they always hit with too much speed and can't correct the back end being rear wheel drive and always loose it on that section genrerally spinning out 360 or 180 degrees 😂

Edited by 2010*zuma

It's probably "Brunnchen" corner as that's where all the spectators stand to get their videos of drivers showing off and getting it all wrong.

• Upvote 1

Beamers are fast, cheap and plentiful. Statistically my guess is they don’t crash that more often than other makes, there are just more of them!

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

Beamers are fast, cheap and plentiful. Statistically my guess is they don’t crash that more often than other makes, there are just more of them!

Especially in Germany where the Ring is!