Advice for a Preamp/DAC please...

BananaPlug

21 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Usually stuff like this is best resolved in private.

No question, but now it isn't private.

Let's not build this up into a big drama. They can attempt to resolve the situation privately, as they should, and once it's all done then @BananaPlug can let us know how it goes and how much he is enjoying his new speakers at last.

There's zero need for this to be played out in public and I have no idea why you seem to think it should be. No doubt there will be several more pages about it regardless... 9_9

1 hour ago, Blzebub said:

They would need both speakers back so that they can be matched, I believe.

I don't believe that ATC would suggest that the dealer should fix it!

No one cares what you ‘believe’! Either you know the facts of this case or you don’t! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You guys like a bit of drama don’t you?:cafe: 
Calm it down or we’ll simply lock the thread until you’ve all had your afternoon nap.

Edited by Cable Monkey
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

You guys like a bit of drama don’t you?:cafe: 
Calm it down or we’ll simply lock the thread until you’ve all had your afternoon nap.

What's with the plural? 9_9

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with ATC’s @BananaPlug. I hope things get sorted out quickly. To me it sounds strange that new speakers would be repaired immediately. You should definitely receive fresh replacement pair. Anyway you’re in for a treat, 40A is an exceptional speaker. 

I live in Finland and there’s only one ATC dealer here. I’ve bought three pairs of ATC’s from him and every pair has been delivered, unpacked and helped with install. He also delivered and installed two pairs of demo ATC speakers for me just to try them out. Obviously volumes sold in Finland are marginal compared to UK but I’ve got great customer service. ATC can sometimes take some time to answer e-mails but nothing else to complain about. I just recently waited 15 weeks for my 50ASL’s and heard they’re very busy atm. I guess covid19 has bumped up the orders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

Let's not build this up into a big drama. They can attempt to resolve the situation privately, as they should, and once it's all done then @BananaPlug can let us know how it goes and how much he is enjoying his new speakers at last.

There's zero need for this to be played out in public and I have no idea why you seem to think it should be. No doubt there will be several more pages about it regardless... 9_9

I don't think it should be played out in public, for the record. Where have I said that?

The point is that, true or not, it's already been publicised by the OP.

I’m not allaying blame, rather, I explained why I had not reviewed my speakers and answered questions as to what’s going on. I think both ATC and Rick have agreed that this could have gone better for all concerned. As yet, it is day 3 and the courier has failed to collect as far as I’m aware. I was told an approx 2pm pick up after two days of staying in to not miss them.

Any photos of the damage? I assume this is a pushed-in dust cap? Very hard to understand how that made it past QC.....

4 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

Any photos of the damage? I assume this is a pushed-in dust cap? Very hard to understand how that made it past QC.....

Let. It. Go. 

Some of the participants in this thread need to learn to take a polite hint from a Mod, otherwise I can predict a departure from the Wam in your future.

3 hours ago, Tony_J said:

Some of the participants in this thread need to learn to take a polite hint from a Mod, otherwise I can predict a departure from the Wam in your future.

Thanks. There’s always one very keen to be detective and judge without any facts! More Clouseau than Poirot as it happens 😂

Hi guys......My repaired 40s arrived today and I have set them up this evening!!!

Very EARLY thoughts...( kit and pathway below)

ipeng ( Spotify linked)➡️Innuous Zenith 3➡️ Chord TT ➡️ SCM40As

music: dynaudio test playlist off Spotify 

please note that I’m playing at low listening levels as everyone’s in bed! The speaker placement is loosely at an equilateral triangle but close to the front wall cabinets ( one foot).

I have listened to a few tracks and those like Telegraph Road, On Every Street where vocals and guitars are at play sound pretty good. I can’t ‘ feel’ the sound around me like the soundstage I’m hoping for but this may be volume levels as well as ‘running in’ period required. What is clear is the ability to hear the tonal range quite well but midrange need to open up and float if that makes sense. The treble is a little rounded off but just a fraction off where I’d like. Again, maybe a broader audition will show more from these 40s. Bass shows itself on some tracks but I have to say I haven’t listened to very bassy tracks as yet. In some cases, gravelly voices show the bass quite well. 

Early thoughts are that I have chosen good speakers. I can’t compare with others as I couldn’t audition during lockdown. These next few weeks should allow me time to listen to more music and I’ll get my thoughts over to you all here.

any music suggestions please let me know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1