I have heard the 530 a couple of times at the dealer and  I'm impressed by the performance of these speakers.

But I'm missing some review or user feedback of these speakers - only very little is written about the 530. Can anyone give some descriptive feedback on the 530?

How do they compare with the Akudorik exact/katalyst? I know 530 doesn't come with katalyst - yet.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy 530 owner here, it’s the best system I’ve owned. Have a P10 & Innuos Zen mk3 running through it. 

For reference, my old 530s sold for $9k. They were about 2.5 years old. I think a used pair of 530s would be a killer way to get into integrated Exakt for little (relatively speaking) money. One of th

I rate 520 and 530 highly, and know of two people who have replaced 350 with them, and are not unhappy.

Posted Images

I heard 530 once, at the factory, in the better of the 2 dem rooms (they're both awful, but the one on the left is slightly less awful).  I enjoyed what it did and its hugely better than the 520 which sounds thin and lacking in dynamics.  At the same visit I also heard MDSM with Exaktbox-i (pre Katalyst) into Majik 140 and it was better than 530, for less money. Not as discrete in the home of course.

Some words here: http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2015/09/linn-factory-customer-event-series-5.html

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

I heard 530 once, at the factory, in the better of the 2 dem rooms (they're both awful, but the one on the left is slightly less awful).  I enjoyed what it did and its hugely better than the 520 which sounds thin and lacking in dynamics.  At the same visit I also heard MDSM with Exaktbox-i (pre Katalyst) into Majik 140 and it was better than 530, for less money. Not as discrete in the home of course.

Some words here: http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.com/2015/09/linn-factory-customer-event-series-5.html

I have the 140 passive driven by an MDSI and is considering either go for an exaktbox-i solution or perhaps to go with the 530. Do you really think the exakted (and now with katalyst) 140 is better than the 530?

I have not heard the 530s but I have a pair of 140s and have gone the long route with upgrading them... 

From passive with a Rotel pre/pwr to Passive with a MDSI, to passive triamping, to AKTIV and then Exakt with a EADSM and Majik Exaktbox-i. Last year I upgraded with Katalyst....

Let me say that the 140s have responded well to every upgrade in the chain. Going to Katalyst was a major step in quality...

A pair of 530s is a simpler solution (no external amps etc) and perhaps more WAF friendly? A word of caution though - I have not yet heard if it is possible to upgrade the 530s with Katalyst. If I were interested in them I would want to know if it is possible to upgrade them or not. 

4 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

Was your experience  that the exakted 140 performs better than the 530? My first comparison was a lot bigger soundstage and more clear Sound  w 530 . Please let me know of your experience !

Three years ago, I bought a 530 system. At the time, I thought Linn would provide an upgrade to Katalyst. First, I was told yes, then, no. So I gave up on 530 Kayalyst. It's not going to happen. I bought some Akubariks to replace.

The 530s were absolutely brilliant, especially with a Klimax LP12.

I haven't heard an Akurate Exaktbox-I/Majik 140 system though.

Besides lack of Katalyst, the other problem with 530s is the base (plinth) is too small and light in my opinion. A wider, heavier base would improve the speaker, I think.

In my case, I wanted the clean installation the 530s provided. Akurate Exaktbox-I wasn't available at the time. So there wasn't a viable alternative to go Katalyst without spending much more on Akudoriks.

I think comparing a 530 system to ASH/AEB-I/M140 (w/optional bases) would be a very good comparison.

31 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Three years ago, I bought a 530 system. At the time, I thought Linn would provide an upgrade to Katalyst. First, I was told yes, then, no. So I gave up on 530 Kayalyst. It's not going to happen. I bought some Akubariks to replace.

The 530s were absolutely brilliant, especially with a Klimax LP12.

I haven't heard an Akurate Exaktbox-I/Majik 140 system though.

Besides lack of Katalyst, the other problem with 530s is the base (plinth) is too small and light in my opinion. A wider, heavier base would improve the speaker, I think.

In my case, I wanted the clean installation the 530s provided. Akurate Exaktbox-I wasn't available at the time. So there wasn't a viable alternative to go Katalyst without spending much more on Akudoriks.

I think comparing a 530 system to ASH/AEB-I/M140 (w/optional bases) would be a very good comparison.

Thanks. Was it the missing katalyst that made you upgrade to ‘bariks?

when you say 530 was brilliant, how do you find that? 

34 minutes ago, GertK said:

Thanks. Was it the missing katalyst that made you upgrade to ‘bariks?

when you say 530 was brilliant, how do you find that? 

Yes. With a Klimax LP12, I wanted to reveal more of the music it was feeding downstream. I figured I needed Katalyst to take full advantage.

The 530 system is very musIical. I took my LP12 to Klimax level with the 530 system. Each upgrade was revealed very nicely. The music just got better and better. I ultimately was listening to them with SOV2. The 530s responded to upgrades and SO by revealing more music.

The 530 system is worth an audition. I would still compare it to the M140 Exakt system.

FWIW, I swapped a Klimax DS/2 and top-spec Klimax 320s for a pair of 530s and an Akurate DSM… It was either them or upgrading the DS to Katalyst.

Auditioned both options and they both had their merits, but the 530s won but quite some margin. Better control (thanks to Exakt), deeper bass, smoother highs and more tuneful. Still waiting for Katalyst or a better upgrade of course, but it's still a great set of speakers!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, GertK said:

I have the 140 passive driven by an MDSI and is considering either go for an exaktbox-i solution or perhaps to go with the 530. Do you really think the exakted (and now with katalyst) 140 is better than the 530?

Yes, and that was before Katalyst, which is a major improvement - you can have Katalyst with Majik 140, there will be no Katalyst with 530.

Did you follow the link? I put it in there because it has the full details of the listening sessions at the factory.

5 hours ago, GertK said:

Was your experience  that the exakted 140 performs better than the 530? My first comparison was a lot bigger soundstage and more clear Sound  w 530 . Please let me know of your experience !

Yes. Did you follow the link? I put it in there because it has the full details of the listening sessions at the factory.

1 hour ago, sunbeamgls said:

Yes. Did you follow the link? I put it in there because it has the full details of the listening sessions at the factory.

Yes I did, thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I am still a little surprised that the exakted 140 was rated better than the 530. The comparison I had around 3years ago left me overwhelmed by how much better the 530 was than the 140. Though a quite fast comparison , my impression from back then was: bigger Sound stage , much more details, clear Sound , punchy bottom.

On  which terms do you think that the exakted 140 compares with/beat  the 530 (beyound katalyst)?

15 minutes ago, GertK said:

Yes I did, thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I am still a little surprised that the exakted 140 was rated better than the 530. The comparison I had around 3years ago left me overwhelmed by how much better the 530 was than the 140. Though a quite fast comparison , my impression from back then was: bigger Sound stage , much more details, clear Sound , punchy bottom.

On  which terms do you think that the exakted 140 compares with/beat  the 530 (beyound katalyst)?

In that case, you should choose the 530 as it will be you listening to them, not me :)

Did you hear 140 Exakt, analogue active or passive?

6 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

In that case, you should choose the 530 as it will be you listening to them, not me :)

Did you hear 140 Exakt, analogue active or passive?

True, just wonder if im the only one rating the 530 High, did I audition them wrong?

I heard 140 140 exakted at this session. I have 140 analogue at Home 

13 minutes ago, GertK said:

True, just wonder if im the only one rating the 530 High, did I audition them wrong?

I heard 140 140 exakted at this session. I have 140 analogue at Home 

In that case, buy the one you prefer, but far better if you can listen to both options at home :)

• Upvote 1