3 hours ago, guggenheim said:

FWIW, I swapped a Klimax DS/2 and top-spec Klimax 320s for a pair of 530s and an Akurate DSM… It was either them or upgrading the DS to Katalyst.

Auditioned both options and they both had their merits, but the 530s won but quite some margin. Better control (thanks to Exakt), deeper bass, smoother highs and more tuneful. Still waiting for Katalyst or a better upgrade of course, but it's still a great set of speakers!

Hmmm, I'd not considered this as an option on my journey, but it's food for thought. An Akurate DS with 520's/530's would not be hugely budgetary difference to other routes I'm considering. Still not sure I want to head down the Exakt route rather than keeping it analogue, but it's another option that I shall add to my summer listening list.

Thanks for the post and the ideas.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy 530 owner here, it’s the best system I’ve owned. Have a P10 & Innuos Zen mk3 running through it. 

For reference, my old 530s sold for $9k. They were about 2.5 years old. I think a used pair of 530s would be a killer way to get into integrated Exakt for little (relatively speaking) money. One of th

I rate 520 and 530 highly, and know of two people who have replaced 350 with them, and are not unhappy.

Posted Images

My current system is a Majik LP12 with Lingo 4, a 2020 KDSM Surround Sound Hub, and 530 fronts with 520 rears.  Previously I have owned integrated Exakt 350s, then 350s with Katalyst AEB10 and 4 Tundra stereos.  I have also run Akudoriks active with the AEB10 and Tundras.

I consider my current 530 system to be the best I have owned !

The change to the 5 series speakers started when I bought 520s to use as rears with my integrated Exakt 350s and listened to the 520s in there own right.  I preferred the 520s - they had so much energy and made me rethink my HiFi.  Hence the 530s which obviously produce a much fuller sound.

Later this year I plan to move the 530s to the rears and will be getting integrated Katalyst Akubariks for the fronts.

• Like 2

I'm wondering about the 520/530 products at Linn?  do they really sell them?  I have read few but often negative testimonials. the brand's customers don't like them?  It's a shame Linn didn't decide to join Katalyst.  that would have given them renewed interest.

31 minutes ago, Gilugomo said:

I'm wondering about the 520/530 products at Linn?  do they really sell them?  I have read few but often negative testimonials. the brand's customers don't like them?  It's a shame Linn didn't decide to join Katalyst.  that would have given them renewed interest.

I have been looking at upgrade options for the past few months, including Linn and non-Linn routes for components beyond my LP12. This thread has brought 520's/530's to my interest whereas previously they had not featured on my radar when looking at Linn products and catalogue. Why is this? I think for me it was down to two things:

A) I hadn't any intention of going down the Exakt route - my intention was to stay analogue (although I will say that this and other threads have opened my mind to auditioning this route)

B) Far more importantly - seeing that the 520 /530 range were sold in "weird and whacky" lifestyle fabric coverings I did not investigate further, having dismissed them as "lifestyle" products rather than "serious" hifi. I may have been alone in this take on them, however I suspect not. Plenty of others who may have this view may not subscribe to this or other forums and may therefore remain unenlightened as to their potential.

3 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

I have been looking at upgrade options for the past few months, including Linn and non-Linn routes for components beyond my LP12. This thread has brought 520's/530's to my interest whereas previously they had not featured on my radar when looking at Linn products and catalogue. Why is this? I think for me it was down to two things:

A) I hadn't any intention of going down the Exakt route - my intention was to stay analogue (although I will say that this and other threads have opened my mind to auditioning this route)

B) Far more importantly - seeing that the 520 /530 range were sold in "weird and whacky" lifestyle fabric coverings I did not investigate further, having dismissed them as "lifestyle" products rather than "serious" hifi. I may have been alone in this take on them, however I suspect not. Plenty of others who may have this view may not subscribe to this or other forums and may therefore remain unenlightened as to their potential.

I would recommend doing as I did. Get the 530 system. There is no upgrade path from there other than a Klimax SH. Focus on your LP12. Bring it up to Klimax, or near Klimax level. The 530s will continue to sound better and better.Then, upgrade to Akubariks. The final step is to audition Majik level and realize that's all you ever needed. The path to hifi nirvana.

Edited by akamatsu
7 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I would recommend doing as I did. Get the 530 system. There is no upgrade path from there other than a Klimax SH. Focus on your LP12. Bring it up to Klimax, or near Klimax level. The 530s will continue to sound better and better.Then, upgrade to Akubariks. The final step is to audition Majik level and realize that's all you ever needed. The path to hifi nirvana.

interesting. So what is it majik does so well and what does the higher ranges offer that you think you do not need?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GertK said:

interesting. So what is it majik does so well and what does the higher ranges offer that you think you do not need?

All Linn is musical, it is often surprising how good a mdsm and 109s is. I also think it is easier to apprecite this knowing you have exakt akubariks as well.

I think it is interesting that the 5 series are the first speakers where the drive units were specifically designed around the capabilities of exakt design.  I remember speaking to Phil Budd who disclosed the speaker manufacturer raised a few eyebrows when Linn told them what spec they would meet, I know they are quite unique.

The rest of the range the exakt has been designed to meet the of existing drivers.  Perhaps the original drivers cannot exploit the full benefits of exakt. 

Many seem to get hung up on the fact katalyst is not yet available, which when you listen to them may not be the criteria to judge them by.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, GertK said:

I think @Suffolkboy explained it quite well. Yes, a recent experience setting up a Majik system in my house had me be really impressed with how musical all that Linn offer is, when set up properly. I could just lose myself in the music, and all the hifi stuff disappears. If I listen to hifi, the Akubariks are better in every way. But I think tunefulness is the great equalizer.

On 15/03/2021 at 16:26, akamatsu said:

Three years ago, I bought a 530 system. At the time, I thought Linn would provide an upgrade to Katalyst. First, I was told yes, then, no. So I gave up on 530 Kayalyst. It's not going to happen. I bought some Akubariks to replace.

The 530s were absolutely brilliant, especially with a Klimax LP12.

I haven't heard an Akurate Exaktbox-I/Majik 140 system though.

Besides lack of Katalyst, the other problem with 530s is the base (plinth) is too small and light in my opinion. A wider, heavier base would improve the speaker, I think.

In my case, I wanted the clean installation the 530s provided. Akurate Exaktbox-I wasn't available at the time. So there wasn't a viable alternative to go Katalyst without spending much more on Akudoriks.

I think comparing a 530 system to ASH/AEB-I/M140 (w/optional bases) would be a very good comparison.

This is interesting. I am a happy owner of a pair of 530s, and I am currently climbing the LP12 ladder. I am curious to which acoustic revelations it will take me, judging from your post. 

I think the 530s are more a lifestyle product, but that suits me. I don't have a mancave, so they are in the living room. I never liked the dominance of speakers in a room, and the 530s can really blend in. 

I did comparisons to the 140s, including with exact, but to me they're missing a bit of control that the 530s have. Also, I love the base in the 530s. 

If I would do an upgrade, it would be akubariks, but it is not on my list for now. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 19:16, Flatcoat said:

My current system is a Majik LP12 with Lingo 4, a 2020 KDSM Surround Sound Hub, and 530 fronts with 520 rears.  Previously I have owned integrated Exakt 350s, then 350s with Katalyst AEB10 and 4 Tundra stereos.  I have also run Akudoriks active with the AEB10 and Tundras.

I consider my current 530 system to be the best I have owned !

The change to the 5 series speakers started when I bought 520s to use as rears with my integrated Exakt 350s and listened to the 520s in there own right.  I preferred the 520s - they had so much energy and made me rethink my HiFi.  Hence the 530s which obviously produce a much fuller sound.

Later this year I plan to move the 530s to the rears and will be getting integrated Katalyst Akubariks for the fronts.

Can you elaborate on you experience with the 530? What is it that you like (Sound wise) comparred to previous systems? 
I Aldi wonder if i should go for akudoriks indtraf of 530. Ups would be 3k and katalyst , Down would probably be less bottom. 

3 hours ago, GertK said:

Can you elaborate on you experience with the 530? What is it that you like (Sound wise) comparred to previous systems? 
I Aldi wonder if i should go for akudoriks indtraf of 530. Ups would be 3k and katalyst , Down would probably be less bottom. 

At present, the 530s with my 2020 KEDSM Hub do everything right - better than anything I have previously owned.  As regards how much better - all I know is that I get a real thrill when I listen to them.  The only problem is that a lot of this is also due to the new hub (Linn 2018 variant which is for sale at present).  I did run Akudoriks and 350s with a 2017 hub, AEB10 Katalyst, and Tundra stereos and what I have now is so much better.

I do plan to move the 530s to rear duties and will be getting Katalyst Akubariks later this year to use with the ‘organik’ hub which I have just ordered.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

At present, the 530s with my 2020 KEDSM Hub do everything right - better than anything I have previously owned.  As regards how much better - all I know is that I get a real thrill when I listen to them.  The only problem is that a lot of this is also due to the new hub (Linn 2018 variant which is for sale at present).  I did run Akudoriks and 350s with a 2017 hub, AEB10 Katalyst, and Tundra stereos and what I have now is so much better.

I do plan to move the 530s to rear duties and will be getting Katalyst Akubariks later this year to use with the ‘organik’ hub which I have just ordered.

so a new 530 system with new ADSM hub will give the thrill you refer to? To your ears the 530 with new hub performed better than akudoriks you listed?

5 minutes ago, GertK said:

so a new 530 system with new ADSM hub will give the thrill you refer to? To your ears the 530 with new hub performed better than akudoriks you listed?

Wrong !  A 530 system with a Linn 2018 variant KEDSM Hub is the system that sings. Definitely in a different league from the Akudoriks or 350 systems I owned.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Wrong !  A 530 system with a Linn 2018 variant KEDSM Hub is the system that sings. Definitely in a different league from the Akudoriks or 350 systems I owned.

ok thanks. So you rate 530 higher than akudoriks?