Linn 530 user experiences

2 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

My cat never bothered my 530s, thankfully! One could spray a repellent like bitter apple (I think that's what it's called) on the 530s, and provide a real scratching post laced with catnip. Cats communicate in the language of smell, as I'm sure you know having two Bengals.

They are provided with a big cat tree and leave most things alone. They destroy them in a couple of years...

However, all my speakers and my record player have something sat on them to prevent them becoming a perch. All is fine until something takes their eye and they launch...

The cats have knocked over a few smaller pairs of floor standing speakers in their time. Stand mount speakers just aren’t an option... They have ripped a set of soldered plugs apart when Celestion F2’s toppled and chipped the veneer on Monitor Audio RS6’s when they toppled.

I found the demo M140’s not the most stable on the floor and specified the upgrade plinths from new. As much for speaker safety as audio performance...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rich9600 said:

I found the demo M140’s not the most stable on the floor and specified the upgrade plinths from new.

My criticism of the 530s is their plinths. They are too small. I I think their sound quality would benefit from wider and heavier more stable plinths. But this would mess with the look of the speaker.

Edited by akamatsu

21 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

My criticism of the 530s is their plinths. They are too small. I I think their sound quality would benefit from wider and heavier more stable plinths. But this would mess with the look of the speaker.

Hmm, have seen this solution but not sure if this solves the problem...
114842431_Bildschirmfoto2021-04-01um19_32_36.png.66707387f0901de901a8525abb646927.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JensA said:

Hmm, have seen this solution but not sure if this solves the problem...
114842431_Bildschirmfoto2021-04-01um19_32_36.png.66707387f0901de901a8525abb646927.png

Does not solve the problem. It may even make it worse.

I've though a little bit more about this. I don't think it's anything that needs a third party solution. The solution to a problem always creates a new problem. In this case, you have Space Optimisation+ and Exakt that know and recognize the speakers as 530s. It may be more detrimental if one starts changing the speakers.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I totally agee - they are very unstable on the spikes.  My dogs were playing with a builder and knocked one over which cracked the fireplace hearth but no damage to   the speaker.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

I totally agee - they are very unstable on the spikes.  

I have mine on carpet so, because the spikes are quite short, and after determining the best position, I replaced the underlay beneath them with plywood, then screwed them to the plywood through the rear bracket.  I'm not sure of the impact this may have on sound quality, but they are unlikely to fall over.

Just now, delboy said:

I have mine on carpet so, because the spikes are quite short, and after determining the best position, I replaced the underlay beneath them with plywood, then screwed them to the plywood through the rear bracket.  I'm not sure of the impact this may have on sound quality, but they are unlikely to fall over.

I have very thick carpet so the supplied spikes are pretty useless so I bought longer spikes from Linn which helped.

• Upvote 1

Have some 1cm steel plate milled to a suitable shape, and affix it to the 5x0 spike holes. Have the steel provisioned to have spikes in their bottoms. That should add stability and mass. 

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Happy 530 owner here, it’s the best system I’ve owned. Have a P10 & Innuos Zen mk3 running through it. 

739A366E-E34C-471C-9651-723829BA2F3F.jpeg

Looks very good. In which Way is it the best system?

17 minutes ago, GertK said:

Looks very good. In which Way is it the best system?

Well it just works, I like the control app, wifey likes the minimalist design and most importantly it sounds good, I really can’t fault the sound. Ive chopped and changed over the years coming from  valves, pre power - I have a Meridian system too, but the 530 ticks a lot of boxes for me, if I had to chose I’d between them I’d say the Linn edges it.

1C58BFD3-3EA6-44EC-B043-834CA04725B2.jpeg

• Like 1