Cyrus amps series 8

huzy

Gents,

I am interested in an 8XPd stereo integrated.At this mom I am unable to listen to that thus asking experienced people.I have found HiFi World review concluding that" this is a very well voiced amp " while HiFi Choice is underlining "shrillness in sound"..

What is your experience please?

Edited by huzy

There are some ladies on here too 😊

im not a lady but I like the 8vs so I would have thought similar of the xpd. Like everything, it’s about system synergy. You could have a great amp only to be let down by the speakers or vice Versa. 
If it’s a used item that your looking to buy, a decent dealer would lend but a private sale is not as easy unless you know them.

The difference of opinion between those two publications that you've highlighted huzy, shows why you need to listen for yourself.

I still own a (19 year old) Cyrus 8, connected to PMC twenty21speakers :nup: A combi that would kill some of the 'pipe and slippers' boys here :D

If you like listening through rose tinted ears, steer clear of Cyrus. If you like your music to be detailed and exciting, it could be for you......but, like I said, you need to judge for yourself.

I have just been offered an 8a integrated.Can you tell me what (except for a dac in the xpd) is the difference between the 8xpd and 8a?

3 hours ago, huzy said:

Gents,

I am interested in an 8XPd stereo integrated.At this mom I am unable to listen to that thus asking experienced people.I have found HiFi World review concluding that" this is a very well voiced amp " while HiFi Choice is underlining "shrillness in sound"..

What is your experience please?

Having heard various Cyruses over the last decade or so, they are more speaker dependant than many other brands. At home I demoed 8VS2 and with MA RS6s sounded too clinical for my tastes. On the flipside, in a shop demo, heard the original 8 with Dynaudio 52 and sounded quite impressive. More recently in SSAV, they had a 8XPD with a PSX power supply, powering MA GX100, that sounded okay... not natural enough for my taste.

With the right speakers, and if you want a space-saving set-up, Cyrus could be ideal

• Like 1

I'm listening through a XPd Qx preamp / DAC atm (with PSX-R) .

Very lucid and articulate, excellent dynamics, pure but quite brightly lit tonally.

I'd be very wary of pairing it with power amp or speakers on the bright side of neutral, but I know some folk like what I would consider to be a too bright sound.

It really is down to personal preference. I'd say that Cyrus is one of the more Marmite brands, I get why some folks are enthused but others aren't.

Edited by JANDL100
  • Like 1

I used to have Cyrus mono X amps with Dynaudio Focus 220s and that was a good combination.

Then I discovered the magic of valves!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1