Here my new babes ...

Now I have 2 pair of Solo and 1 Twin for my 3 way active setup.

Even if they old amp, they outclass completely the Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblock (I got one pair and got didn't keep them). I know, they not at all in the same price range but the fact is a good old amp still today a very good amp.

I will post an update when I will install them in my audio rack. 8-)

21031704110422427417320634.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Aptitlig!

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, pompon said:

Here my new babes ...

Now I have 2 pair of Solo and 1 Twin for my 3 way active setup.

Even if they old amp, they outclass completely the Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblock (I got one pair and got didn't keep them). I know, they not at all in the same price range but the fact is a good old amp still today a very good amp.

I will post an update when I will install them in my audio rack. 8-)

21031704110422427417320634.jpg

Real beauties.

Congrats, and happy listening!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Ty but they "fart" when I power off both unit.

My other pair of Solo (pre-dynamic) don't do that.

I suspect something need to be service with them.

I found the sound "strange" and not on - par with my other old solo's. "blurry/lack grip ..." very strange.

Edited by pompon
47 minutes ago, pompon said:

Ty but they "fart" when I power off both unit.

My other pair of Solo (pre-dynamic) don't do that.

I suspect something need to be service with them.

I found the sound "strange" and not on - par with my other old solo's. "blurry/lack grip ..." very strange.

Doesn’t sound right. Mine had Dynamik from manufacture and are silent when turned off, although they do ‘pop’ when they come out of standby, which I’ve always presumed to be to do with the fact that they each have two PSUs rather than one.

Mick

Yes, small "pop" when power on (wakeup).

I have 100dB speaker without crossover and the "toc" at power on is very gentle.

I talked to a service center  and they told me they certainly need to be recapped completely. They do that locally and they had Solo being recapped at the moment. I think they are autorized.

What is the best approach to resolte the problem with the seller (Commercial audio shop).

Open a paypal dispute and agree to send the unit at that shop for an estimate for recapped job ?

I understand the side of the seller, he not sell me new unit but other side, if unit are due for recapped job, I have not payed the price for that, I was figuring the unit was in shape (considering they need recapped job eventually).

What is fait to my side to ask from the seller ? Cover a part of the recapped job ? WHat % seem fair ?

9 hours ago, pompon said:

Yes, small "pop" when power on (wakeup).

I have 100dB speaker without crossover and the "toc" at power on is very gentle.

I talked to a service center  and they told me they certainly need to be recapped completely. They do that locally and they had Solo being recapped at the moment. I think they are autorized.

What is the best approach to resolte the problem with the seller (Commercial audio shop).

Open a paypal dispute and agree to send the unit at that shop for an estimate for recapped job ?

I understand the side of the seller, he not sell me new unit but other side, if unit are due for recapped job, I have not payed the price for that, I was figuring the unit was in shape (considering they need recapped job eventually).

What is fait to my side to ask from the seller ? Cover a part of the recapped job ? WHat % seem fair ?

I have now idea about the legal situation in your locale, and at what pricepoint you bought. If you purchased via eBax you could pull their buyers warranty, and probably roll back - but is this what you want, really?

I'd try to talk to the seller, and see if he offers any compensation. A complaint is not good for him either, and maybe he can sacrifice his margin to keep you happy? If you rolled back he'd have to either recap himself, and sell as recapped, or clearly mention that the amps need recapping as he's in the know now. Thus, a mutual agreement is a win-win situation.

Good luck, I keep my finger crossed!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

It might be worth emailing the Linn helpline describing the issue, in case their techies can help narrow down the issue. I’m not sure you’ll be able to haggle compensation fairly until you know the nature of the issue and the cost of rectifying it. Do you have a Linn dealer you could take them to, to see if they have experience of the issue?

I’ll be interested to hear of any diagnostic info as I’ve not heard of this problem, and my Solos are out of their warranty period! 😁

Mick

I talked to local autorized dealer to perform service on Linn amp.

For solo, recapping job 400$ usd each amp if only the caps on the power supply are involved.

750$ if the filtration board are involved. Somes caps are not manufactured anymore and the board need be patched to match the pin out of the replacement caps.

They told me the put vishay caps for the supply board.

I don't know how will become the sound after recapped ... but I don't think Linn put "fancy" caps in their amplifier anyway.

I sent a email to the dealer that sold me the solo to see if he open to negociate something with me.

1 minute ago, pompon said:

I talked to local autorized dealer to perform service on Linn amp.

For solo, recapping job 400$ usd each amp if only the caps on the power supply are involved.

750$ if the filtration board are involved. Somes caps are not manufactured anymore and the board need be patched to match the pin out of the replacement caps.

They told me the put vishay caps for the supply board.

I don't know how will become the sound after recapped ... but I don't think Linn put "fancy" caps in their amplifier anyway.

I sent a email to the dealer that sold me the solo to see if he open to negociate something with me.

I've had a Kairn, two AV5105s, Lingo 1, and a Sizmik recapped. They all improved by quite a nice margin. You may be astounded. The improvement to the AV5105s was night and day.

So, 29 caps to change each amp.

685$ usd per amp (40% of the price is for the parts and 60% for the work).

No surface mount caps on thoses ... just regular caps.

I

• Like 2

Why not send them back to Linn. They will do a proper job and compare them with their test units to ensure they sound the same or better. UK price is around £515 per amp.

Freight cost from/to overseas might be a killer. I assume @pompon resides in the US, as he quoted $ prices. Maybe @ThomasOK can advise here?