I would agree that if you want to insure perfromance the best bet is to send them back to Linn for repair.  In the US this runs $915 each.  You don't have to worry about overseas shipping.  The dealer gets an RSN from Linn and ships them to a Linn repair center in NY.  If they have to go to Scotland for service (or upgrade in the case of things like Katalyst) the shipping to and from Scotland is covered in the fixed price.  The customer is only responsible for the shipping to and from NY.  

When Linn does the repair they look at everything and repair or replace whatever is necessary to bring the unit back to new specs.  They are also very fastidious when it comes to Klimax gear.  When we send in any Klimax unit for repair or update we are required to include a form with drawings of every side of a Klimax unit where we mark where any dings, scratches, mars, etc. are located and their size, shape, etc.  When Linn receives the unit they check it under a strong light and if they find anything that wasn't noted they mark a copy of the sheet and send it back to the dealer for approval before they will repair it.  They will then do the same inspection before it is packed up after repair to make sure they haven't added any marks.

Obviously you have to decide how you want to handle this but with a Linn repair you know you are getting the same parts that were part of the design and the performance that the unit was designed for.  While $915 isn't cheap, it also isn't bad for a $!2,610 unit.  And I have seen units repaired by Linn that came back with parts replaced that were more expensive than the repair.  Not always, obviously they play the averages, but you will not pay more - it is a flat rate repair.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The original parts are not available anymore.

While I have another pair, I will do some A/B to evaluate the sound of the solo's after the recapped job.

I will report back ...

I live in Canada and each time unit go outside the country, $$$$$$ is involved (customs/brokage fees)

To give you an idea, I got around 700-800$ us fees for my first pair of solo and around that amount for my Twin Dynamik.

I got a quote for my first pair of solo to upgrade to dynamik ... was the price of one new unit.

Too expansive for me while I need separate amp for bass/mids/highs

• 2 weeks later...

I got the solo's back from recapping job.

It's "difficult" to do a real A/B because I don't have the same speaker cable.

One is mogami 3103 and other one is digiflex.

One unit have RCA and other one speakon.

The recapped solo have tighter bass and more predominant highs while the old one is more relaxed and have a bit more hollow.

I will give few hrs on the recapped one to do a sort of burn-in.

The solo still don't have a silent power off. I have "poc" in speaker when power off while my other pair are completely silent (probably relay or something like that).

I wonder if can be simply a version of the board ?

54 minutes ago, pompon said:

The solo still don't have a silent power off. I have "poc" in speaker when power off while my other pair are completely silent (probably relay or something like that).

I wonder if can be simply a version of the board ?

Possibly so. Mine make a very slight noise when they go into standby, like a really faint 'click' from the speakers, but it is *very* quiet.

Mick

On 27/03/2021 at 09:22, pompon said:

The original parts are not available anymore.

While I have another pair, I will do some A/B to evaluate the sound of the solo's after the recapped job.

I will report back ...

I live in Canada and each time unit go outside the country, $$$$$$ is involved (customs/brokage fees)

To give you an idea, I got around 700-800$ us fees for my first pair of solo and around that amount for my Twin Dynamik.

I got a quote for my first pair of solo to upgrade to dynamik ... was the price of one new unit.

Too expansive for me while I need separate amp for bass/mids/highs

Where do you live in Canada?

One of my friends here had to get his Linn serviced, and Linn had an authorized repair guy in the Vancouver area at the time

On 10/04/2021 at 11:30, Paulssurround said:

Where do you live in Canada?

One of my friends here had to get his Linn serviced, and Linn had an authorized repair guy in the Vancouver area at the time

I live in Québec.

Audiotech do the service.

I talked to Audiotech and they told me Linn have many different versions.

Original caps were Nichicon and Jamicon and they put Panasonic as replacement. They told me Panasonic are faster cap.

While different version = different age of the amp, it's difficult to tell what come from the version and what come from the age of the transistor/caps.

They play very good anyway and while I have 2 pair of solo and one twin dynamik, I can't have 3 x the sound of my preferred solo.

When I tested the twin, was faster, more energy in the highs and tighter bass. It's mostly that I head with the recapped solo.

I will put the more relaxed solo's on my midrange, put the recapped solo on the bass and twin on the highs (less power required).

I tested for fun 3 pair of speaker cable and the sound change quite a lot depending of the wire!

• Like 1

My 6100D and 5125 didn't pop when the MDSM was put into standby. I notice my Majik Exaktbox-i pops when shutting off. Paul, did your old Exaktbox-i, or does your new one pop the Akudoriks?

Mine's a Majik EB-i   - and it pops!