Losing interest in hifi forums

Super Wammer

It seems that the better my system sounds, the less interesting hifi forums become. Have any of you out there experienced this too? Oh, that's right. They aren't here. :D

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 4

Super Wammer
39 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

My main reasons for browsing the forums are, in no particular order, helping people if I can, news and music recommendations. Other than that, I find forums a complete waste of time.

’troll

Same here. I like helping people. The music recommendations are what I'm most interested in. Now that my hifi is dialed in, the only thing left is to discover new music, and enjoy old familiar tunes.

But I must say, I did get a lot of helpful tips here during the couple of months when I was setting up the Akubariks.

• Upvote 1

I first joined the Linn Forum in 2011, to learn more about HiFi and meet people with a similar interest in HiFi and music

It did not disappoint, and my knowledge of HiFi and Linn grew exponentially over time, and I met a lot of new friends in the process.

Without the Forum, I would not have travelled to Europe and around North America doing Space Optimisation, which was a life changing event for me, and for that I am very grateful

It has been a real gift to get to know many of you, in person, through FaceTime, WhatsApp.and Skype 

‘I also love helping people and have had a lot of help from Forum members. Without a doubt, my Linn system would not sound as good as it does now without the help of many.

‘I look forward to continuing with the HiFi Wigwam and being part of this community 

• Like 3

I joined the original Linn forum when I purchased my SneakyDS way back in the days of Bute. The main reason was to get help with setting it up, ripping my CD’s, best NAS to purchase, etc. I learned a lot and found many people who were really helpful. I enjoyed being part of that community and found that after a few years I could help newbies with knowledge I had gleaned from others and my own experiences. Like many of you, I also found new music from the many recommendations of others. It was a great loss when it was closed by Linn but many of us found sanctuary here in the Linn club on the WAM. I rarely look at anything on the other parts of the WAM, just here in the Linn section. We are, more or less, likeminded enthusiasts for Linn products. My main reason for checking in every so often is to find new music, hear about other Linnies tweaks and tips, and ask advice if I am contemplating a change, upgrade or such like. 
What disappoints me, is when threads turn in to a slagging match between certain individuals and other peoples opinions are not tolerated. The forum should be a fun place to visit, not somewhere to witness bad feeling amongst members.  Statements that the ‘music only starts at Klimax level’ are really not welcome in a forum for ALL Linn users. Maybe we need a ‘Klimax Only’ section that these individuals can have to themselves while the rest of us can enjoy our meagre Majik and Akurate equipment. 

I would like to say to all those who do contribute with interesting topics, advice, hint, tips and music recommendations (apart from the Jazz lovers) thanks for your contributions and keep up the good work.

Bill.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

I have to agree with BILLZ on this. I visit the LINN FORUM less and less these days as it appears that unless your system cost more than  £50,000 and you are a Linn Jihadist this is not the place to be. A few interesting threads still but not much sadly.

Edited by HIGHWAY61
spelling
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HIGHWAY61 said:

I have to agree with BILLZ on this. I visit the LINN FORUM less and less these days as it appears that unless your system cost more than  £50,000 and you are a Linn Jihadist this is not the place to be. A few interesting threads still but not much sadly.

This has been a very challenging year for most, and the Forum has helped many get through this year a bit better, providing some interesting information and discussions to help us pass the time. The Forum has helped me stay more positive and connect with this community, helping me get through these times

‘As with any forum, I think I can extrapolate that our interest in things can be strong at times and at others not.

‘Next week we should have some interesting  news from Linn which will liven up the discussion, but frankly, there is not a lot happening at the moment, as we wait.

‘I don’t agree with you regarding this being an exclusive club for people with Linn HiFi systems worth more than £50K or Linn Jihadists. I find there is a lot of interest from people that have Linn systems of every price range, and healthy discussions on legacy Linn components and speakers.

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1

As a fairly recent joiner to this forum, I should like to say that I have benefitted enormously from the friendly and freely given advice that I have received from this community.

As a long-term, albeit fairly sporadic LP12 owner, I feel that I have significant chunks of knowledge and experience that have passed me by. I joined the forum to attempt to get advice from "more experienced" hifi (in general) and Linn (in particular) users regarding getting the best from the setup that I have, and making improvements where I can. In this respect I have not been disappointed, and thank you all for your patience and sound advice.

Other than music, my other main passion is rugby. I have seen, on both forums an increase in antagonism and "baiting". As @Paulssurround and others have pointed out, this past year or so has been a particularly challenging time for all of us, however what I see here, despite the occasional over-reaction to a (I hope) unintended slight (that we are all potentially prone to, even in better circumstances), is a genuine willingness to share knowledge and experience to help and guide others. Long may this continue.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 18/03/2021 at 20:20, Billz said:

I would like to say to all those who do contribute with interesting topics, advice, hint, tips and music recommendations (apart from the Jazz lovers) thanks for your contributions and keep up the good work.

I'm going to compile a jazz playlist for you Bill!

I'm not talking about the more traditional Coltrane, Miles, Monk or Gillespie stuff (although that is excellent) but some interesting alternative European Nu jazz, avant garde and jazztronica. :D

You might even like some of it!

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

I'm going to compile a jazz playlist for you Bill!

I'm not talking about the more traditional Coltrane, Miles, Monk or Gillespie stuff (although that is excellent) but some interesting alternative European Nu jazz, avant garde and jazztronica. :D

You might even like some of it!

Go for it Mike. I will give it my best attention (as long as it doesn’t send me to sleep) but it will need to be good, because the names you quoted do nothing for me. It will need to be music played to entertain the listener not to impressive their fellow musicians and their own egos, as this is what jazz is to me. Oh, and I need lyrics and no 20 minute solos that they couldn’t repeat note for note 2 days later 😀

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Billz said:

Go for it Mike. I will give it my best attention (as long as it doesn’t send me to sleep) but it will need to be good, because the names you quoted do nothing for me. It will need to be music played to entertain the listener not to impressive their fellow musicians and their own egos, as this is what jazz is to me. Oh, and I need lyrics and no 20 minute solos that they couldn’t repeat note for note 2 days later 😀

If you're adamant you need lyrics then that is going to be a challenge. But one that I'm up to! It just may take a while. :D

• Like 1

@Billz @SnapperMike If I may offer some help with appropriate lyrics Gentlemen 😜 

https://genius.com/Frank-zappa-be-bop-tango-lyrics

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

@Billz @SnapperMike If I may offer some help with appropriate lyrics Gentlemen 😜 

https://genius.com/Frank-zappa-be-bop-tango-lyrics

TMCW's I'd love to include some Zappa in my playlist to Bill but I'm not sure that can be categorised as 'jazz'. What'd you reckon?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

TMCW's I'd love to include some Zappa in my playlist to Bill but I'm not sure that can be categorised as 'jazz'. What'd you reckon?

This piece of music is at least referring to jazz ;-)

But I agree, that Zappa is very tough to categorise, as he usually picked whatever appeared fit to express, what he wanted to express. When I saw him playing live at Kiel Ostseehalle - a venue with a great acoustic for, err, handball, the home of THW Kiel - he was at times conducting his band with a baton. That's does fit more into the classic genre, doesn't it?

• Like 1