What was your first hifi like?

JD68

Was it as good as this?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Close but I was using a better DAC on the 3 in1.

Edited by firefuocco

Mine, a reward from parents for not failing all my 'O' levels (the youngsters out there may need to google that), was a far more space conscious item befitting the available space in my childhood bedroom back in 1975... And was something akin to this, though possiy not as posh.! :-) Screenshot_20210318_233430.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Technics slpg480a cd player

Technics suv500 integrated

Technics 373 dual cassette deck

TDL RTL1 speakers 

For my 18th birthday, was chuffed to bits at the time. Lasted me a good while 

• Like 2

For me in early stereo days - Heathkit mono power amp (MA-12), stereo preamp (USC-1), FM tuner (TU-4) and tape preamp.  Constructed over a 3 or 4 years and funded by the cash I wasn't spending on cigarettes - I gave up when I left School! 

Single speaker was home built following a Gilbert Briggs DIY design based on an upward firing 10" driver mounted in a 12" inside diameter concrete drain tube.  The tape preamp was built into a home-built case together with a Wearite tape deck ( a Ferrograph without electronics) to mimic a Vortexion recorder.  Record player was a Garrard autochange deck in its own fablon-covered case, as most were in those days - a bithday gift and the only non-DIY part of my system.  Happy days!

Edited by hearhere
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pioneer PL-112D Turntable, Grado F1+ cartridge, JVC JAS11G Integrated amplifier, Monitor Audio MA4 speakers, sited in my bedroom. Bought out of my wages, now that I was working.

I was used to the quality of the 'separates' in my dad's system ( Pioneer PL12D t/t with a Goldring G800 cart, Sansui Receiver and Wharfdale Denton speakers), so no music centre for me.

pioneer-beltdrive-pl-112d-217204.jpg

JVC-JA-S11G-1100x600.jpg

02_sm743745.jpg

Edited by Gizza
  • Like 1

My first hifi was a leak stereo 20, a Lenco turntable and Videoton mini max speakers...paid £150 for it back in the day!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

My first hifi was a leak stereo 20, a Lenco turntable and Videoton mini max speakers...paid £150 for it back in the day!  

Having just bought a leak 20, thanks for that ! ;-)

Laskys own brand Audiotronic amp, Garrard 86SB TT and Celestion 15XR speakers. I was in heaven. Tweeters kept blowing though !

• Like 1

I started with an Amstrad RP-10 record player and was so convinced of the superiority of LordAlan’s goods that my first upgrade was to a TS-56 tower system. It had twin cassette decks I’ll have you know...

Following that came a Bush Audiosystem 1500 music centre from my brother-in-law which was a huge sonic improvement but first proper separates hi-fi came as a hand-me-down from my dad and comprised:

- Hitachi PS-17 turntable
- Eagle International TSA-151 amplifier
- Eagle International AA-8 tuner
- Eagle International AA-20 speakers
- Technics RS-263US cassette deck

I felt sure that this would last me many years and I would never feel the need to upgrade. Then my uncle gave me his Garrard301/SME 3009/Shure M75EDII and it’s been a slippery slope ever since...

• Like 3

SP25 Mk2 turntable.

Sinclair amp.

Nasty no-name bookshelf speakers with elliptical full range drivers.

Sansui SR222 Mk2/Ortofon FF15E

Sugden A21

Celestion Ditton 15 (hooked up with QED 79, natch).

• Like 1

Another Amstrad experience here. My uncle worked for them & he got me some stuff which got me through my O level studying.

First “proper” hifi was pretty classic of its time, a Dual cs505, a Rotel 820bx & Heybrook hb1’s.  Happy days!