What was your first hifi like?

My first was a Bush, Arena hifi I think it’s called, like below except mine had a black on/off button and cassette lid and buttons. All black. Speakers were crap.

image.thumb.jpeg.e383ab54028eb429bb6ae9496fd29255.jpeg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then I became interested in improving the sound of my system and bought a copy of What Hi-Fi?...

My first hifi was a leak stereo 20, a Lenco turntable and Videoton mini max speakers...paid £150 for it back in the day!  

I started with an Amstrad RP-10 record player and was so convinced of the superiority of LordAlan’s goods that my first upgrade was to a TS-56 tower system. It had twin cassette decks I’ll have you kn

Posted Images

Thorens TD160 with Shure 75ed, second hand leak stereo 30 and HiSound Isis speakers (little two ways) .. and I was in heaven.

Since those days in the early 70s I have changed the turntable twice (Systemdek then Systemdek IV), numerous cartridges and arms but for many years now a Mission 774 and Decca Supergold, the amp twice - to a Stereo 70 and then an Audionics pre and Hafler DH200 power (the Audionics died to be replaced by an Audio Research SP9 and the speakers have been changed four times, first to Marantz 4G, then to Gale GS401 then to Rogers Pro 9 TL and lastly to Art Impressions).

Working in the trade for five years cured itch problems (and got to play with many many items and took them home to try too) .. 

Not much would I have changed in my hifi journey but that first system  - bloody fantastic 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, uzzy said:

Thorens TD160 with Shure 75ed, second hand leak stereo 30 and HiSound Isis speakers (little two ways) .. and I was in heaven.

Were you born wise - Why didn't you have a shyte first system, like the rest of us?

34 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Were you born wise - Why didn't you have a shyte first system, like the rest of us?

I used to walk past a shop in Pudding Lane Maidstone, that sold Optical Kit (telescopes cameras and stuff) AND a small selection of Hifi . mainly Quad .. I just loved the look of the Stereo 30 second hand in the window for £15 .. We gad two radiograms one with a Garrard SP25 so I fed the sp25 to the Leak and the leak to the speakers in each radiogram whilst I searched for loudspeakers .. A hifi shop at the bottom of Gabriel's Hill in Maidstone is where I sat to listen to lots of speakers i could afford (about three sets lol) and the guy was using a Thorens TD150 into a Scandyna to let me listen ... loved the Thorens, bought the HiSound Isis - thought about the deck and went to Dixons and got a TD160 for £65 on tick (£6 a month I think) ..

I was just lucky I guess .. 

In those days the magazines were not like today - very little subjective view - mostly based around build and measurement .. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sansui Au 2100 Wharfedale Linton 3XP (From Comet Liverpool) Prinzsound Turntable (From Dixons Runcorn) Had it on about half an hour before neighbours asked me to take some Bass of it😂

NAD3120 Amp, NAD 5120 Turntable and Wharfedale 508 Speakers (Still got the speakers :D)

nad_5120.jpg

On 19/03/2021 at 09:23, dave said:

But my real first love was a Rigonda mono radiogram, ru-EL84 ultra linear and 4 speakers, lovely sounding bit of kit.

My 1st proper stereo was a regonda party time,  el84 valves with quite decent matching speakers,  although the turntable was rather creaky in use.

I was only about 17 and got it 'trade' from brown brothers.. it was really quite good... and very cheap...

A few years on I upgraded to a strathern turntable and an amstrad amplifier 

Looking back that never sounded right, it was the mid 90s when I got into better gear, and (back into) valves, that I got positives of that rigonda sound back.

Edited by steve 57

Well its a different world we live in now

Gone, comet, laskys et all

Never mind catalouges and paying stuff up

See young folk theyve no idea

Beer 32p a pint, fish supper about 60 pence, jeez oh i getting bloody auld 😂😂😂

My , sorry my wifes 1st proper wage when she quailified as a physio in1981 went on a pair of Castle Dover speakers to match the quad 22 pre power i had and a focus one.

Here mother wenr ape shit at the time, "what nearly all your wages on a pair of speakers"

Happy days