Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

I did write to Revel HQ to ask about that and they said they thought running in was an audiophile myth.  I’m not sure I fully agree, though it may be dependent on any tests performed on the individual drivers or the assembled speaker.

IME. It absolutely is a real thing - and with some speakers more than others.

The LS50 Metas sounded pretty poor, out of the box - and now it would take a lot for me to part with them.

I'm not convinced, that you're entirely convinced by the Revels. You shouldn't lose too much when you eventually decide to sell them on. ;)

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another couple of pictures to introduce some further thoughts on the Concerta2 M16.   I had better preface these listening notes with the observation that my hearing is distinctl

I was slightly taken aback to discover there are apparently no other users of Revel loudspeakers on the Wam.  There have been in the past, as a few sales have been posted.  But nobody has begun an own

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CnoEvil said:

I'm not convinced, that you're entirely convinced by the Revels. You shouldn't lose too much when you eventually decide to sell them on. ;)

If I could try some other c. £500 stand-mount designs at home I’d have a better feel for how they rank*, though like the KEFs they’re really a £800 - £1000 speaker. 

They’re definitely very different to LS50s, and not really interchangeable.  The Revels are possibly more a rock/jazz design, and the KEFs more speech/classical, but that doesn’t really capture it either.  

Yes, I’d hope to get my money back!  We’ll see.  

*Suggestions welcomed!

Nice write-ups there Nopiano,  I've always enjoyed Revel speakers whenever hearing them at shows, but never owned a pair,  Pleased you are at least enjoying them, a lot of speaker for the money, especially the price you paid, well done.                                                                        .

• Like 1

Batteredhaggis (Jamie) has a large pair of floorstanders made by Revel (Salons or Studio 1s - I can never remember which) and a smaller pair called Gems.

The larger pair I heard at Jamie's flat, driven by a Plinius amp, and they were terrific - very detailed, huge scale, evenhanded etc etc..and the Revel Gems Jamie brought to a South Coast bake-off.

The latter impressed me so much that I asked Jamie if I could demo them at Scalford. He agreed and I got hold of them prior to the show so I was able to try them at home first. I thought they were excellent and matched, or even edged, my resident horn system.

At the show they did very well and were a good match for the room size, benefiting from a huge bass horn I brought and used as a sub. I contemplated buying them and would have if I had had the dosh.

Revel had a very good reputation at the time and the MD had a distinguished career with another firm before founding Revel (Snell?). I cant comment on their recent range(s).

Jamie still has both pairs of Revels in storage whilst his flat is being refurbished (rebuilt?). We look forward to when that work is completed and the young man is back in the swim and firing up those imposing Revel floorstanders..

Jack NSM

• Like 2
10 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

IME. It absolutely is a real thing - and with some speakers more than others.

The LS50 Metas sounded pretty poor, out of the box - and now it would take a lot for me to part with them.

But these are ex demo, so should have been run in already?

I think some speakers do benefit from a run in but not all.

24 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But these are ex demo, so should have been run in already?

I think some speakers do benefit from a run in but not all.

Mine were called ex dem, but many items sold like that have simply sat on a shelf.  I know that from my part-time Hifi shop days.  I suspect Graham’s gave mine a play or two, but it’s not really their type of product I imagine.  Hard to be sure, obviously. 

I am sure, as you say, that some designs loosen up or get smoother - the main two things that seem to change. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Batteredhaggis (Jamie) has a large pair of floorstanders made by Revel (Salons or Studio 1s - I can never remember which) and a smaller pair called Gems.

Great story, thanks!  I think the Gem and Salon were their launch products in 1995-7, setting out to show their ultimate abilities as designers.  Very much intended as high end designs.  Would love to hear them too. 

They’ve had a patchier coverage over here in the UK though Karma AV distributed them for a while. I can’t actually find their current importers, beyond the in-wall designs.  But I assume they’ve fallen under the wider Harman banner, along with JBL, Marin Logan etc. 

Edited by Nopiano

Are Karma AV not the distributors anymore?  I've been trying to remember the name of the distributor when I first heard Revels, I'm pretty sure he also did Lyra cartridges and those beautiful Lyra Connoisseur pre a phono amps

Posted (edited)

Bigfool1956 has experience of some big Revels.

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 1
On 06/05/2021 at 02:19, antonio66 said:

Are Karma AV not the distributors anymore?  I've been trying to remember the name of the distributor when I first heard Revels, I'm pretty sure he also did Lyra cartridges and those beautiful Lyra Connoisseur pre a phono amps

Not according to their website, which continues to show only the in-wall designs, but none of the regular stereo Hifi ones. 

I know the last couple of times at shows, Primare were using Revel speakers for their demonstrations.  Looking at the Primare site, Karma are Primare's distributor, so maybe they no longer do Revel stereo speakers, if so what a shame.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I know the last couple of times at shows, Primare were using Revel speakers for their demonstrations.  Looking at the Primare site, Karma are Primare's distributor, so maybe they no longer do Revel stereo speakers, if so what a shame.

That’s exactly it.  I went to hear the new 35 series Primare at the Karma AV stand and they were using ‘my’ Revels to demo it.  They seem to have taken on another couple of speaker brands now. 

Grahams hifi in London stock Revel speakers

1 hour ago, daveyu said:

Grahams hifi in London stock Revel speakers

Yes, I posted that at the very beginning.  Their sticker is on the speakers I pictured too.  Have you ever heard any there, because I couldn’t tell how keen they were about them?

22 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Yes, I posted that at the very beginning.  Their sticker is on the speakers I pictured too.  Have you ever heard any there, because I couldn’t tell how keen they were about them?

No they seem to favour B&W speakers, may do in the future though if funds allow

• Like 1