Is the Arcam A65 Plus the best pound-for-pound amp?

plasticpenguin

I’ve got a delta 290, which became the 9 in a different box , I think? Great, but got fed up with the motorised volume issues. They can be serviced, but I decided to move along. Still got it though......😉

Edited by knaithrover
Duplicate post

Edited by knaithrover
Duplicate post

Edited by knaithrover
Duplicate post

Edited by knaithrover
Duplicate post

2 hours ago, knaithrover said:

If I was looking for a budget amp and had less than £400 to spend I'd be all over this.

Edited by Nifkin

10 hours ago, Nifkin said:

If I was looking for a budget amp and had less than £400 to spend I'd be all over this.

Same

Way back in 2002/3, I used to have an A85 driving Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2 speakers (with a Marantz CD6000 KI signature). That was a fantastic combo with great synergy. Really good bass and control. 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

Way back in 2002/3, I used to have an A85 driving Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2 speakers (with a Marantz CD6000 KI signature). That was a fantastic combo with great synergy. Really good bass and control. 👍

Sounds good. However, the lower powered A65 Plus would struggle with any Dyns IMO.

10 hours ago, Nifkin said:

That's a tempting price, and highly recommended if you're looking for a sub-£1000 integrated. There are some going for over £300 which is ludicrous given it was £390 new back in 2004/5. Damn! wished I'd kept mine now.

Certainly look good in black.

40 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Sounds good. However, the lower powered A65 Plus would struggle with any Dyns IMO.

Probably. I recall the A85 was rated at 85 WPC but measured at 110 WPC! 

On 31/03/2021 at 20:57, Jezzer said:

Probably. I recall the A85 was rated at 85 WPC but measured at 110 WPC! 

Have to say I love Dyn Contours. I had a demo - unintentionally - of S1.4 and they really rocked my socks off. If I had the room I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair of S1.3. As it's impressive with the A85, should sound the dogs with the Leema.

On 31/03/2021 at 20:19, plasticpenguin said:

That's a tempting price, and highly recommended if you're looking for a sub-£1000 integrated. There are some going for over £300 which is ludicrous given it was £390 new back in 2004/5. Damn! wished I'd kept mine now.

Certainly look good in black.

I think the used one on eBay atm priced at £300 is wishful thinking on the part of the seller: they usually go for South of £200. I would, however, pay £250 for that unused one.

On 31/03/2021 at 19:57, Jezzer said:

I've still got my CD6000 KI, which is still going strong (after I replaced the transport mechanism a few years back): it sounds very good indeed and I will only replace it when the transport fails again.