DomT

1 minute ago, DomT said:

I have just found out that the PMA 2500NE uses a CR type phonostage which is a bit unusual.  Anyone like to comment on that as I have never heard one. The Aurorasound Vida apparently uses the same circuit.

Am pretty sure that I read somewhere that they can be problematic.  Maybe that's why some users have had difficulties with their cartridges?

5 minutes ago, DomT said:

Am pretty sure that I read somewhere that they can be problematic.  Maybe that's why some users have had difficulties with their cartridges?

So Dom, have you reached a verdict or are you more confused as to what you want 🤔

35 minutes ago, DomT said:

Ahem. At least listen to one and then make up your mind.

8 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Ahem. At least listen to one and then make up your mind.

Easier said than done. No home demo possible in Portugal. None on demo that I can find near me. Maybe I could listen at a dealer in the U.K. but clearly that is very suboptimal 

40 minutes ago, radiant red said:

So Dom, have you reached a verdict or are you more confused as to what you want 🤔

Have been doing a lot of research and the Denon 2500 has a lot going for it. I confess that I am instinctively more drawn to the Denon in the hope that it might have some sonic signature similar to Marantz but I really could be very mistaken.  I haven’t forgotten the Moon but have not done much research yet. It’s still in the running. The Gato whilst interesting lacks a phonostage and yet is the same price as the others and so it’s in third place right now. 

43 minutes ago, DomT said:

Have been doing a lot of research and the Denon 2500 has a lot going for it. I confess that I am instinctively more drawn to the Denon in the hope that it might have some sonic signature similar to Marantz but I really could be very mistaken.  I haven’t forgotten the Moon but have not done much research yet. It’s still in the running. The Gato whilst interesting lacks a phonostage and yet is the same price as the others and so it’s in third place right now. 

Thing is, you will go round and round in circles and eventually talk yourself out of anything at all. 
it’s difficult at this time to audition anything and totally impossible where you are. My view is if you have a UK or Portuguese dealer that is happy for you to buy, like or dislike and if dislike, be happy to do the 14 day change of mind. Having said that, I don’t know what the law is in Portugal. 
Not an easy position to be in with the values we are talking. 

11 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Thing is, you will go round and round in circles and eventually talk yourself out of anything at all. 
it’s difficult at this time to audition anything and totally impossible where you are. My view is if you have a UK or Portuguese dealer that is happy for you to buy, like or dislike and if dislike, be happy to do the 14 day change of mind. Having said that, I don’t know what the law is in Portugal. 
Not an easy position to be in with the values we are talking. 

Luckily am not going round in circles. No 14 day return in Portugal unless the box is unopened. 

3 hours ago, DomT said:

I have just found out that the PMA 2500NE uses a CR type phonostage which is a bit unusual.  Anyone like to comment on that as I have never heard one. The Aurorasound Vida apparently uses the same circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iYim2t1czg

According to the designer it uses a NF type phono stage (see 1:40) and only the A110 and above use a CR type. Not sure what the difference is.

I'm surprised that the 14-day cooling off period doesn't apply in Portugal (thought it applied throughout the EU). That does make buying hi-fi online a bit of a problem.  

1 minute ago, HugoZ said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iYim2t1czg

According to the designer it uses a NF type phono stage (see 1:40) and only the A110 and above use a CR type. Not sure what the difference is.

I'm surprised that the 14-day cooling off period doesn't apply in Portugal (thought it applied throughout the EU). That does make buying hi-fi online a bit of a problem.  

Thanks for the correction.  I have done too much reading and got muddled!  

Its really interesting to read the Portuguese shops T&Cs where they make it clear that the box needs to be unopened.  In Portugal there is law and then there is how, or if, it is applied.  Let's just say that things are more clear and certain in the UK.