Thinking of upgrading to a linn.

Hello all and thanks for reading my queries and hopefully giving me a heads up. 

My current turntable is a walnut project classic (linn wannabe I know) I was and am happy with this but......in the last few months I’ve upgraded my speakers to b&w 603 anniversaries, then I upgraded my amp to a rega elex r, then Only last week I upgraded my cart and stylus to vm740ml......when I was in the local store I jokingly asked what the next upgrade would be and he said I’ve the very thing upstairs and he showed me a linn majik with linn arm and cart in walnut and at a decent price but I’m wondering if it would suit my upgrades ive just done.....would I have to upgrade all them again or will they be ok?also what sound difference can I expect?

thanks in advance for any help. 

@Tisinthepark Welcome!

it is perhaps an extremely bold prediction but I doubt very much that any of the forum members here will try to prevent you from buying a LP12 Majik.

You might also hear the phrase „source first“, another way to say that your amp doesn‘t matter at all and you MUST buy the LP12 asap.

Just kidding, I am sure you will get some proper advice (perhaps slightly biased).

Jens

Edited by JensA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tisinthepark said:

Hello all and thanks for reading my queries and hopefully giving me a heads up. 

My current turntable is a walnut project classic (linn wannabe I know) I was and am happy with this but......in the last few months I’ve upgraded my speakers to b&w 603 anniversaries, then I upgraded my amp to a rega elex r, then Only last week I upgraded my cart and stylus to vm740ml......when I was in the local store I jokingly asked what the next upgrade would be and he said I’ve the very thing upstairs and he showed me a linn majik with linn arm and cart in walnut and at a decent price but I’m wondering if it would suit my upgrades ive just done.....would I have to upgrade all them again or will they be ok?also what sound difference can I expect?

thanks in advance for any help. 

Welcome @Tisinthepark.

My own experience is as a long-time LP12 owner, with amplifier and speakers that (certainly price wise) would be lower grade than what you have (Arcam 8 amp & Rega Alya speakers). In my own experience even these lower grade components both work very well with my LP12, are very musical, and have responded well to LP12 upgrades (which once lockdown is over will be taken to close to Akurate level).

So, in my view you would have no issues at all with your current kit, and no need to upgrade unless and until you wanted to.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JensA said:

@Tisinthepark Welcome!

it is perhaps an extremely bold prediction but I doubt very much that any of the forum members here will try to prevent you from buying a LP12 Majik.

You might also here the phrase „source first“, another way to say that your amp doesn‘t matter at all and you MUST buy the LP12 asap.

Just kidding, I am sure you will get some proper advice (perhaps slightly biased).

Jens

Jens may have said this in jest, but it is quite true.  However, I'll take it to another level for you.  If I had $6000US to spend on a vinyl only system I would buy a Majik LP12 for $4995, a Rega io for $595 and a pair of PSB Alpha P5 speakers for $399.  (Yeah, I'd go over the $6000 a bit with about $100 for some K20 speaker cable and sales tax, but you get the idea.)  I would also challenge anyone to come up with a more musical sounding system for the same amount of money.

So, no, you don't need to upgrade anything else to enjoy the substantial benefits of the LP12 in your system.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  I didn't notice right off that you were new here.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all.....looks like I may well be an LP12 owner very soon then......

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tisinthepark said:

Thanks all.....looks like I may well be an LP12 owner very soon then......

BTW, apropos of nothing, mine's a walnut too; good choice :D.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Jens may have said this in jest, but it is quite true.  However, I'll take it to another level for you.  If I had $6000US to spend on a vinyl only system I would buy a Majik LP12 for $4995, a Rega io for $595 and a pair of PSB Alpha P5 speakers for $399.  (Yeah, I'd go over the $6000 a bit with about $100 for some K20 speaker cable and sales tax, but you get the idea.)  I would also challenge anyone to come up with a more musical sounding system for the same amount of money.

So, no, you don't need to upgrade anything else to enjoy the substantial benefits of the LP12 in your system.  

Yep, that’s been good advice for 40 years or more. Back then, or thereabouts, it was LP12/Basik LVV arm/Basik cartridge with NAD3020 and speakers of choice. The price has gone up a bit though :D back then the budget was probably £500 in the UK.

’troll

• Like 3

For the benefit of the OP, and not to bore the rest of you, again, I recently played my Klimax LP12 through a Majik DSM/3 and a pair of Tukans. It was unbelievably good. That's a $25,000 turntable feeding a $2200 integrated amp, and speakers worth maybe $400 (including stands).

In the end, you are only listening to the source as magnified by the amps, and made into sound by the speakers. You don't listen to speakers (as many still believe). You listen to the source.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

As magnification of this last post, every once in a while we love to connect the $25,000 Klimax LP12 to something like a $350 Cambridge AXA 35 or $450 NAD C316BEE and a pair of $400 speakers (like the PSB Alpha P5 I mentioned above and quite like) just to blow people's minds.  The effect is always enjoyable and the most common reaction is "What are those speakers?!"  Cue a discussion of the hierarchy and source first after mentioning that they are $400 a pair speakers and similarly priced amp, and it is the $25,000 turntable/arm/cartridge that is making is so musical.  Drives the point home quite nicely.;)

• Like 5

@Tisinthepark I told you that you might hear the phrase "source first" :D

@ThomasOK I know this is slightly off-topic but nevertheless: Is it just the PSB Alpha P5 which are so great? What about the lhe larger "brother", the Alpha T20 which are also very reasonably priced?

BTW I have just booked a slot with a Linn Dealer based in northern Germany in order to have a closer look (and "listen") at the new LP12 Majik :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, JensA said:

BTW I have just booked a slot with a Linn Dealer based in northern Germany in order to have a closer look (and "listen") at the new LP12 Majik :P

I can hardly wait. What form of payment will you be using? :D

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

can hardly wait. What form of payment will you be using? :D

Are you referring to my „safe bet“ on St Pauli football club‘s promotion?

Unfortunately the chances of St Pauli being promoted to 1st Bundesliga have fallen although they are still the best team in 2021 after a horrible 1st half of the season.
They basically have to win all their last 8 matches of the season but even this might not be enough for promotion.

I regret to say but payment method would be €€€

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, JensA said:

Are you referring to my „safe bet“ on St Pauli football club‘s promotion?

Unfortunately the chances of St Pauli being promoted to 1st Bundesliga have fallen although they are still the best team in 2021 after a horrible 1st half of the season.
They basically have to win all their last 8 matches of the season but even this might not be enough for promotion.

I regret to say but payment method would be €€€

Those of us on this side of LP12 ownership know that if you audition you will buy.

And it will be one of the best purchased you make in your entire life.:D So enjoy the experience, but be prepared to purchase on the spot.

• Like 1

Well that’s a few bits and bobs inc my project TT ( that just got a new cart fitted last wkend) up for sale to try and help with the price of the Linn..........and if non of it sells I’ll rob the Mrs....

Thanks again, I’m sure I will be in touch when it comes to The never ending upgrading dilemmas........or will I leave it as it is... 🤔 

JensA I feel your promotion pain my home team are never gona make it this season either........they need serious upgrading.....

• Like 1