Speakers in little studio

Bertani

Hey! I really need your advice! My friends and I have equipped a small studio in the garage and are now thinking of buying a pair of speakers, connect them to the mixer and output sound from it. https://theguruchoice.com/speakers/best-powered-pa-speakers/ they advised Yamaha DXR10 I but the price tag is a little too high, there is also JBL EON But I am confused by the plastic case, please advise good speakers !!!!

Edited by Bertani

What will the speakers be used for?

What is the size of the little studio?

What is your budget?

Those mentioned are not really designed for listening nor for monitoring a mix. They seem to be designed for playback at disco levels or amplifying electronic instruments and vocals.

Edited by tuga

If you are looking for pro audio advice then https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ might be the best option.

34 minutes ago, Bertani said:

Hey! I really need your advice! My friends and I have equipped a small studio in the garage and are now thinking of buying a pair of speakers, connect them to the mixer and output sound from it. https://theguruchoice.com/speakers/best-powered-pa-speakers/ they advised Yamaha DXR10 I but the price tag is a little too high, there is also JBL EON But I am confused by the plastic case, please advise good speakers !!!!

Those are pa speakers rather than recording monitors.  If you like Yamaha try their HS range. I had the Adam X in my studio for a while and they were great. 

As Tuga says Gearslutz is probably the best place but it’s a bit vicious there. 

This guy is has a reasonable balanced opinion and his video on small monitors is worth watching. 

If you are in the U.K. plenty of proaudio stores will let you try at home for up to 30 days and return if you don’t like them. 

FWIW I'd try StudioSpares.

I had a pair of Tannoy Reveal monitors that I got s/h, in my music room, which was marginally bigger than the average garage. They were driven by a Quad 303 quite nicely, but when I tried a Quad 405 I got a more "authoritative" sound. The power amplifier was driven by the "monitor" send from my Studiomaster 16:8:2 desk.

Unless you have some decent room treatment I'd try and be as 'near field' as you can, meaning speakers close to you and not too large.  Something cheap like KRK VXT4's or much better but more expensive ATC SCM 7/11's used could be ok but if you can, try to get some good open back headphones that can take the room out of the equation.. :)

• Like 1